Speedo Healer Needed? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speedo Healer Needed?

arogal

Hi guys!
I am planning on changing up my sprockets on the zx6r this spring. Thinking of doing +1 in the front and -2 in the rear and getting a 520 chain. I never ride near the top end speed that the zx6r has to offer, so I thought it would be a good idea to change out the sprockets and get some more acceleration/torque with this set up.
For all of you that have done slight sprocket conversions, would a speedo healer be necessary for this conversion? Any ideas how much the conversion would throw off my km?
Only one I can seem to find is this one at bayside performance:
Thanks!

I had a similar setup when I got my bike from previous owner...did calculation to figure it was off 17%. Was quite a few years ago so I cant remember the details...I just had to remember my speedo was almost 20% high as a safety factor when I saw the Popo?

I then verified by GPS as well as speed matching the wifes car?

I had a similar setup when I got my bike from previous owner...did calculation to figure it was off 17%. Was quite a few years ago so I cant remember the details...I just had to remember my speedo was almost 20% high as a safety factor when I saw the Popo?
17% is quite a bit. Itis not even just the speed, but over time it would really throw off the amount of KM that the tack on the bike is showing compared to how many km is actually on the bike......by the looks of it, if being 17% off....10,000km would show 11,700km on the tack?

Yep...lowers the value of the bike as far as displayed Kms on the odometer for sure.
On a newer bike, may mean a lot for resale. On an older bike, resale is shite anyways.
I just wasn't concerned enough to worry about it. Personal preference.

You might want to check your math on the sprocket change. I'd suggest -1 on the front and +2 on the rear.

LOL...midnight shift brain. You are correct Tripletrouble. Signs were reversed...and remembering from 5 or 6 years ago.
My bad. I just know when I'm riding, if I was 15 to 20% over on the speedo I was still good to go.

Last edited:
Tripletrouble got me curious on my math and why I was off (so much for my sleep today)...was +5 on the rear and -1 on the front (16 not 17% sorry). First gear was absolutely useless on my 954RR? with that set-up. My youngest would be thrown around like a bull rider behind me on takeoff at the lights. Ended up going back to OEM rear, and kept the -1 on the front. Fun factor and usability was so much better. I would always change my 600RRs to -1 on the front. Pulled a little better but didn't give up any usability overall. Just my $.02
Cheers, Sadz

To answer the last part of your question...not sure of OEM on your bike but if its 16-43 and you go (-1 +2) to a 15-45 you will be approx 10% below displayed reading (assuming your signs are backwards as I did by mistake earlier...lol). Speedo and Odo will be 10.4% higher than actual...

Back
Top Bottom