Speed Traps | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed Traps

Intersting map.

There are at least a couple of spots missing... and it would be really great if people provide comments or descriptions. It is not enough to say "W.bound Lawrence Ave., east of Leslie St", we need comments like "Most active on weekends / mornings, cop uses a driveway to park his car, etc)

Any word on when this Blitz will end?

Looks like they're out in full force for the past week + this week. Combination of good weather, riders and garage queens out on the road gives them an opportunity to strike.

I submitted the following to the Fixer about 10 days ago. From today's article it appears that they are happy to help drivers by setting up the map, but they don't want to actually take on the challenge to reduce the problem.

"So you got a ticket in one of Toronto's many fishingholes. Welcome to the real world. But you're the Fixer and you want to dosomething about it, great! Youunderstand that the problem is a difference between posted speed and designspeed/85th percentile, a good start. Butto fix it you need to understand the whole cycle:

- Nimbys complain to theirCouncillor about people driving faster than the speed limit on a nearby street;
- Politicians vote to lower thespeed limit even further because it’s an easy way to pretend to do somethingand win votes;
- Cops discover yet another newfishing hole and set up shop;
- Cops/City make money fromspeeding fines;
- Insurance companies use theseminor convictions as an excuse to dramatically increase premiums, with no actualincrease in costs;
- Government and the insuranceindustry mount “speed kills” campaigns to justify their revenues and encouragemore Nimbys to complain about speeders.

As a result, roads become less safe becauseof a greater speed differential between the 85[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile and thefew people who actually pay attention to ridiculously low posted limits.

So how do you fix the problem? Setting speed limits at the design speed isthe theoretical solution, but this would be extremely time consuming andpolitically impossible.

Instead the Star and the Fixer should tryto break this cycle by encouraging Council to vote to direct all revenues fromtraffic violations to some worthy cause, say transit improvement. This would still be politically correct, butit would remove the police financial motivation. It would also be hard for the Police toobject, because it would show that their real motivation is dollars, notsafety, as they like to profess.

Will this completely resolve theproblem? No. People are generally lazy, and the police arepeople too. It’s much easier for policeto lay a charge by sitting at a fishing hole rather than going after unsafelane changes, left turns in front of oncoming traffic, break and enters,motorcycle thefts from condo garages, etc, etc, etc. Speeding convictions in court are also easierto secure, as they rely on technology instead of the judgement of theofficer. And the Police assess theireffectiveness on case closure rates. Allthat being said, removing the financial motivation will still be a huge stepforward.

We know the Star likes a cause, especiallyif it involves the Police. Good luck,fight the good fight, and keep us posted.

Name withheld for fear of police reprisal"

Nothing more pathetic than a cop hiding behind a tree...and getting paid to do so.

Waze rocks! Download the app and recommend to all your friends!

Face,
Great post!

Trapster.com for speed traps and other information - you can download their app or data to include in your GPS.

Works great.

Might as well add Trapster 5.0 to the list, live updates as they are being reported and will run in the background.

Face,
Great post!

Thanks, but a fat lot of good it did sending that into the Fixer. The article on the subject that followed didn't pick up on the idea of a campaign to redirect the revenues away from the police. Maybe if others also ask when they send in their additional locations. Probably not, the Star will take on the cops when it comes to beating up protesters, but not if its going to hit them wher it hurts, i.e. their budget!

Interesting, saw 3 speed traps today, but they weren't marked on this article. I wonder if the police changed it up after this article was published. All of the speed traps were simply a block away from the original speed trap destinations that were noted in the article.

Interesting, saw 3 speed traps today, but they weren't marked on this article. I wonder if the police changed it up after this article was published. All of the speed traps were simply a block away from the original speed trap destinations that were noted in the article.

Honestly I think you r giving them too much credit but watch out this weekend warm weather and end of the month are a bad combination

Because cops have no smartphones, no Internet and wouldn't ever post to these sites themselves right? I also read somewhere that they don't mind these apps that much as it gets drivers to slow down all over the place where the traps are supposed to be.

Because cops have no smartphones, no Internet and wouldn't ever post to these sites themselves right? I also read somewhere that they don't mind these apps that much as it gets drivers to slow down all over the place where the traps are supposed to be.

It's not a question of their media habits I believe "most" cops fundamentally hold the public in contempt and couldn't care less about the Fixer articles.

It's possible they are embarrassed to stand at those locations so they move a couple of blocks away?

When it comes to speed enforcement I think we read too much into what I call just random behavior... warm spot when it's chilly , shady spot when it's hot, TH close by for a coffee and bathroom break etc ... big enforcement plan not so much

Nothing more pathetic than a cop hiding behind a tree...and getting paid to do so.

ya, a buddy of mine has a family member who is a cop in toronto area. he keeps giving him @#%@ because all he does is hide behind a bush and hand out tickets. really, thats not policing....80-90k a year to write tickets...

cops want more money to better protect the ciy? maybe pull some of these guys out from behind the trees and bushes and give them something real to do.
we had seized cocaine out of a former employees locker and after calling the cops and sending in email statements for 3 days they told us to just flush it.
it was enough to fill a old 35mm film container to the top (probably overflow). not a huge amount, but thats more than a 1 night party.
during this 3 day period i saw a cop 3 blocks away at the timmies every morning, and another one sitting down the other street every evening.

dont get me wrong, we need QUALITY police in our society, but useless ones need to go...bottom line, i pay their salary so i should have a say in who receives it.

Everyone of these $80K a year morons could be replaced by a pole with a camera. It's only a matter of time till the govt figures this out.

80K? If I remember correctly 40% of those constables are on the sunshine list.

Last time I checked, they hit 90k after 4 years then break 100 and hit the sunshine list a couple years after that.
I don't think the sunshine list includes there crazy OT rates...

Back
Top Bottom