So long and thanks for all the fish | GTAMotorcycle.com

So long and thanks for all the fish

FullMotoJacket

Site Supporter

Strange, I never noticed Harley-Davidson doing much racing in this century or the last one
and when they do they are only racing Harley class races, everything else races in a different class.

Strange, I never noticed Harley-Davidson doing much racing in this century or the last one
and when they do they are only racing Harley class races, everything else races in a different class.
That's why they can brag about their history of winning. They were racing themselves. Now that Indian has joined in it is really hard to win, they are unable to innovate, therefore they might as well quit.

Last edited:
That’s a bit of a stretch
It’s probably more to do with finances then Indian coming in to play

That’s a bit of a stretch
It’s probably more to do with finances then Indian coming in to play
Yes it is, H-D would prefer to put all their profits into the bank instead of promoting the product they are trying to flog.

Yes it is, H-D would prefer to put all their profits into the bank instead of promoting the product they are trying to flog.
You got any information on that, or is that just a guess?

Good lord, are you new to motorcycles?
Nah, but you made a statement, I thought you could post something to back it up.

i got the financial part but the statement about promoting something they flog is a little unclear

H-D has been very present in motorcycle racing for ever, but in NHRA events which we never really see here and American flat track which is also not really a presence here.
I would imagine its become a hard sell around the offices of HD to continue to support racing when finances are not much fun to talk about.

Indian has certainly been giving them a hard time in AFT, but I don't think that's what chased them out. Its always about the money

Nah, but you made a statement, I thought you could post something to back it up.

i got the financial part but the statement about promoting something they flog is a little unclear
What do you want, a picture of motorcycle races with no Harley's in it? :LOL: How many do you want a few thousand?
Or a picture of a whole bunch of H-D imports riding against each other in an arena, or 2 hand built Harley's on a drag strip.

Harley-Davidson was the NASCAR of motorcycle racing.

Harley has been the steeple of every bike race in America and probably around the world, except for mostly indoor style racing

I see if there’s financial difficulties in the company why they might back out of racing

what I’m still missing is your statement about promoting and flogging what they built?

okay I’ll give you a pass on that one, it’s obvious you have no clue about what you’re talking about

Last edited:
Harley has been the steeple of every bike race in America and probably around the world, except for mostly indoor style racing
That statement is full-on lunatic level Lucky. How many races with lefts and rights have HD in them? Your statement may almost be accurate for dirt-track but that is a very small segment of the racing buffet.

Didn’t you see the video posted a couple of wks ago.

haley has been the only constant when it comes to that kinda bike. Indian and along with other brands have come and gone,

haley has been the only constant when it comes to that kinda bike. Indian and along with other brands have come and gone,
Yes, harley has been making baggers for a long time. Bagger racing is at best a sideshow that happens rarely.

I try not to block people as it is good to see varying viewpoints but your complete inability to either think critically (or alternatively, your need to be an obstinate SOB while providing very little useful information or discource) has finally earned you that distinction. Ride safe Lucky, you are the second person that I have bothered ignoring in 15 years.

After the rashen you folks gave me in the other thread

now you want to block me cause you’re thinking i might know more then the usual crowd on this subject

figures

The segment Harley factory teams race in is popular in the US. It’s steeped in American heritage, based on the field races on dirt that enthusiasts made popular a hundred years ago.

it’s the only racing class I can think of that they have experience and hardware that competes.

I have always looked at factory racing as an important and integral part of R&D, it forces companies to innovate, and is useful stressing and proving designs. If you can hoist trophies, it’s good for S&M too.

of late HD has lost dominance in flat track. Indian owns the super twins, Yamaha, Kawi and even Royal Enfield beats HD in the the production twin category.

Dealers won’t pickup the torch unless the bikes can win and even then I’m not sure as the bikes have no street connection. The bikes aren’t winning now, I don’t think they have any hope if HD and V&H drop factory support.

You will still be able to buy an HD flat tracker from Vance & Hines through a dealer for $36K USD, and they did win the Production Twins championship this year (albeit barely). Pro Stock drag racing is a joke, about the only thing about any of the bikes (HD or otherwise) that is stock is the tank decals. Getting out of directly supporting racing is just dollars and cents - part of the corporate restructuring. They will be back when it suits them - its in their DNA.

How's that GreyGhost - I said something nice about the Motor Company ? ;) ;) ;)

Are you talking about racing baggers? To me that’s a bit like bathtub or shopping buggy racing - serious fun, not serious competition.

Maybe you are onto something... HD might be wise to lobby for pro circuits for production Baggers. Even better ... Production Trikes.

Back
Top Bottom