So I got a "universal" motorcycle diagnostic scan tool, and... | GTAMotorcycle.com

So I got a "universal" motorcycle diagnostic scan tool, and...

adri

Site Supporter
I got an OBDPROG Moto 100 'universal' motorcycle diagnostic scan tool sent to me to review. It works on Honda, Yamaha, BMW, Triumph, KTM, and Ducati motorcycles.

======================
UPDATE: Here is my review featuring the 5 things I love about the OBDPROG Moto 100 and the 5 things I hate about it:

Original post + video testing the unit's functionality is below
======================

Based on all of the YouTubers giving it glowing endorsements I figured I had just stumbled upon the second coming of Christ. Expectations and reality proved to be two totally different things, so beware of false prophets.

Speaking of fakes, what do strippers and YouTubers have in common? I mean besides getting a lot of validation from weird men. That's right, if they're telling you something nice, they might just be trying to get your money.

So naturally I did the only thing I could do: I made my own video giving it glowing endorsements! Dollar bills y'all!

Just kidding.

I go over what it is, and how to test four functions I thought would be pretty basic:
- Verifying milage
- Reading/clearing error codes
- Activating ABS pump
- Activating fan and thermostat

To get a wider sample size for my data, I tried the four tests on three different motorcycles:
- 2011 BMW G650GS
- 2014 BMW F700GS
- 2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Fun fact: Amazon pays about a $20-22 USD commission to affiliates who recommend people buy these. For some people, that's enough of an incentive to tell you this thing is AMAZING *eye roll*. Based on my findings I'd say if you're a geek for this sort of stuff buy one and test what it can (or can't) do for your motorcycle AS SOON as you get it, so you can return it to amazon for free within 30 days if it doesn't get you excited. Affiliates DO NOT get any commissions when you return stuff. I also don't have a canadian affiliate account (bulk of my viewers are in the US), so I wouldn't get anything anyway, but just putting this disclaimer out there so no one thinks I'm trying to milk the community.

If you'd like to read, rather than watch, you can see my full write-up here: Testing OBDPROG’s Moto 100 Motorcycle Diagnostic Scan Tool

Last edited:
I got an OBDPROG Moto 100 'universal' motorcycle diagnostic scan tool sent to me to review. It works on Honda, Yamaha, BMW, Triumph, KTM, and Ducati motorcycles.

Based on all of the YouTubers giving it glowing endorsements I figured I had just stumbled upon the second coming of Christ. Expectations and reality proved to be two totally different things, so beware of false prophets.

Speaking of fakes, what do strippers and YouTubers have in common? I mean besides getting a lot of validation from weird men. That's right, if they're telling you something nice, they might just be trying to get your money.

So naturally I did the only thing I could do: I made my own video giving it glowing endorsements! Dollar bills y'all!

Just kidding.

I go over what it is, and how to test four functions I thought would be pretty basic:
- Verifying milage
- Reading/clearing error codes
- Activating ABS pump
- Activating fan and thermostat

To get a wider sample size for my data, I tried the four tests on three different motorcycles:
- 2011 BMW G650GS
- 2014 BMW F700GS
- 2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Fun fact: Amazon pays about a $20-22 USD commission to affiliates who recommend people buy these. For some people, that's enough of an incentive to tell you this thing is AMAZING *eye roll*. Based on my findings I'd say if you're a geek for this sort of stuff buy one and test what it can (or can't) do for your motorcycle AS SOON as you get it, so you can return it to amazon for free within 30 days if it doesn't get you excited. Affiliates DO NOT get any commissions when you return stuff. I also don't have a canadian affiliate account (bulk of my viewers are in the US), so I wouldn't get anything anyway, but just putting this disclaimer out there so no one thinks I'm trying to milk the community.
whats an affiliate? I assume its not the vendor selling the goods themselves? Some kind of 'influencer' I take it?

As always the opinion of a non influencer riders, forums and reddit is worth way more than someone with a streaming platform.

whats an affiliate? I assume its not the vendor selling the goods themselves? Some kind of 'influencer' I take it?

As always the opinion of a non influencer riders, forums and reddit is worth way more than someone with a streaming platform.

You got it.

When you hear someone on YouTube say "link in the description!" it's because they want your audience to go to amazon and make the purchase via their link. Then they get a kickback when you make a purchase (usually 4% for automotive related stuff).

Like you pointed out, it's why A LOT of people seem to only give favorable reviews talking about how wonderful a product is. They're more like youtube review-mercenaries than unbiased testers.

It's totally possible to do affiliate sales and not be greasy. For example, I'll make a video showing how to do an oil and filter change on (motorcycle model goes here). Then after I show people how to do it, I'll link to the exact oil, oil filter, filter wrench, socket set, torque wrench, hand tools, etc. that they just saw me use in the video. It's really helpful for building the confidence of would-be first time wrenchers and for people too lazy to look up what filter to get or where to get it from. It makes me anywhere from $0.40 to a couple dollars depending on how much they buy.

$800+?

Wow, that's pricey.

What's the difference between this and an OBD app on your phone, like MotoScan or Torque Pro, which can be bought for a fraction of the price? It's around $30 for the pro versions of the apps + $100 for the OBD2 Bluetooth module.

I only started looking into MotoScan this evening on someone on reddit's recommendation so I'm not fully versed on it just yet.

Right now the advantages of this system seem to be that it comes with it's own parts, disappoints you more, costs you more money, and you never know what it will or won't do or whether or not you can count on it. Basically, with this device, you get the full bad girlfriend experience that so many masochists desire.

Jokes aside, I really can't speak to how well it will work with bikes other than the 3 I tried it on. I think the advantage is that it's "more universal" in that it can work with a half dozen brands rather than just one. It's capabilities seem to really vary based on what it's plugged into. Could be a fantastic tool for one of your bikes and a very expensive paperweight for the next.

$800+?

Wow, that's pricey.

What's the difference between this and an OBD app on your phone, like MotoScan or Torque Pro, which can be bought for a fraction of the price? It's around $30 for the pro versions of the apps + $100 for the OBD2 Bluetooth module.
Just took delivery of a GS911wifi from the UK. Black Friday deal. $440cad all in. Looked at the Motoscan and modules but from what I could find they were all Android based. I like my iPhone.

Re: GS 911
Do you have to specify the type of motorcycle when ordering and will the diagnostics work with only that model of motorcycle?
Is its functionality equivalent to the system that the Dealer's workshop uses?
Thanks.

Re: GS 911
Do you have to specify the type of motorcycle when ordering and will the diagnostics work with only that model of motorcycle?
Is its functionality equivalent to the system that the Dealer's workshop uses?
Thanks.
The Home of GS-911 — HEX Code

Should answer all your questions. It is specifically for BMW's.

Quick update: Short follow up video covering 5 things I love, and 5 things I hate, about this weird device. It's not all bad, but there's a lot that's left to be desired. The first one that comes to mind is that they snuck in a little hidden reccuring fee in there. I totally respect any business trying to do business, but I can't respect the way they kept the fee secret and not mentioned anywhere on their website.

The product isn't all bad. At some point, it might even save me (or a friend) a headache and a trip to the dealer. But all the other reviews I saw (except for one guy, Rembo I think?) were 100% positive reviews, and that really doesn't paint the full picture. Hopefully this will.

Hope it wasnt sent to you by the manufacturer otherwise your review will never see the light of day (or the light of a monitor/laptop/phone)

Hope it wasnt sent to you by the manufacturer otherwise your review will never see the light of day (or the light of a monitor/laptop/phone)

It sure was! Perks of having your own audience :) Got me here like:

whatever-southpark.gif

Back
Top Bottom