Snell taking a beating. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snell taking a beating.

I know he's (Ryan F9) not everyone's favourite but no one else is producing content like this:

All youtube links still facked. Include search terms or video id or something so people can find it.

Video ID, 76yu124i3Bo

I guess I have just one question. Is Snell M2020R a superset of ECE 22.06 i.e. does it specify anything that 22.06 doesn't?

I guess I have just one question. Is Snell M2020R a superset of ECE 22.06 i.e. does it specify anything that 22.06 doesn't?
It requires a Snell M2020R sticker? I kid, I haven't looked in detail but most standards fail a lot of helmets based on labelling.

Found the video. The Snell "original" double-impact test requiring a hard shell is incompatible with ECE 22.06 and FIM standards. The same helmet cannot meet that Snell standard and ECE 22.06 / FIM. Snell M2020R is a watered-down test to allow an ECE or FIM helmet to bear the Snell badge. It omits many aspects of FIM or ECE 22.06 compliance.

Personally ... I haven't paid attention to Snell for years, and I've only bought helmets that met the then-current ECE 22.05 standard. I intend to continue to do so.

Found the video. The Snell "original" double-impact test requiring a hard shell is incompatible with ECE 22.06 and FIM standards. The same helmet cannot meet that Snell standard and ECE 22.06 / FIM. Snell M2020R is a watered-down test to allow an ECE or FIM helmet to bear the Snell badge. It omits many aspects of FIM or ECE 22.06 compliance.

Personally ... I haven't paid attention to Snell for years, and I've only bought helmets that met the then-current ECE 22.05 standard. I intend to continue to do so.
Apparently 22.06 is pretty much in line with the FIM rating, very similar requirements and added oblique impact tests. It also measures exposure to sunlight for durability, as well as protection in extreme heat and cold. It's a huge jump from 22.05, as shown by the very short list of helmets that meet it (just two at the moment)...

While I admire the original Snell mandate, and have no issue with the organisation, I feel like they've been forced by ECE to stick with their extremely stiff shells and multiple impact resistance just to stake out a different corner, otherwise the mandate is a bit lost.

While I admire the original Snell mandate, and have no issue with the organisation, I feel like they've been forced by ECE to stick with their extremely stiff shells and multiple impact resistance just to stake out a different corner, otherwise the mandate is a bit lost.
I don't understand that at all. Why does a safety standard need to be different from another? Over time, science should have them getting closer and closer. The fact that they now have two "standards" that are incompatible with helmet construction just gives them zero credibility and integrity. I thought Snell was a non-profit - why would should they even care what ECE and FIM are doing? They should be sticking to their guns if they believe they're right.

I don't understand that at all. Why does a safety standard need to be different from another? Over time, science should have them getting closer and closer. The fact that they now have two "standards" that are incompatible with helmet construction just gives them zero credibility and integrity. I thought Snell was a non-profit - why would should they even care what ECE and FIM are doing? They should be sticking to their guns if they believe they're right.

Different applications require different safety standards. From what I've read, FIM introduces a couple of additional testing methodologies for their racing helmets, one of which is "critical rotational accelerations". If you've seen racers slide from the asphalt to the gravel, they typically start tumbling once they reach the gravel which is meant to slow them down, but also causes them to roll as well. This is less likely to happen to a street rider, where the focus on helmet testing is on a single impact with an object like the asphalt, a curb or lamp post.

^ this

an off at 200-300 kp/h has much different requirement's than a street rider needs
Snell has tested poorly at slower speed crashes

tests indicate a higher probability of brain injury with Snell rated lids at lower speed

don't ask me for proof, I don't have any

Different applications require different safety standards. From what I've read, FIM introduces a couple of additional testing methodologies for their racing helmets, one of which is "critical rotational accelerations". If you've seen racers slide from the asphalt to the gravel, they typically start tumbling once they reach the gravel which is meant to slow them down, but also causes them to roll as well. This is less likely to happen to a street rider, where the focus on helmet testing is on a single impact with an object like the asphalt, a curb or lamp post.
1627345321236.png

agree 100%
the rolls of DOT stickers on Amazon prove this
If people putting DOT on their low volume beanie had ever heard of ECE, those stickers could be popular too. I suspect that discussion would have them looking at you like you have two heads.

I understand that for FIM, but what about DOT, Snell, and ECE which are (I assume) primarily focused on street riding?

Back
Top Bottom