slippy clutch ... thoughts? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

slippy clutch ... thoughts?

So maybe I was doing it wrong with the slipper clutch? I would rev match regardless, are people just letting out the clutch on them? Would that still not give you immediate engine braking? From what I understood it was to prevent wheel lock up if you went down too many gears too fast and to smooth out your downshifts.

If you blip on downshift using a slipper clutch, then yes, theoretically you should be getting all of the engine braking that a non-slipper bike has since the engine speed and wheel speed should match and the clutch should be fully engaged.

However, blipping to the right RPM is a learned throttle-movement that's different for every bike, dependent on gear ratios.

If you've always been riding the same bike with a slipper-clutch from start, how do you know you've exactly matched RPMs to the lower gear? That slipper is going to mask your inaccurate blips, as it was designed to do.

The only way I can see you knowing for sure that you've got the right amount of throttle blip is if you've installed the slipper clutch yourself and you remember what RPM to blip in which gear from before the install. Or if you've ridden the exact same model bike without a slipper clutch.

My wife had a bike that had a slipper, mine didn't. Honestly, when we switch up on the track and my brain figures out I'm riding a slipper-clutch, by the second corner, I'm not blipping the throttle on braking any longer.

Back
Top Bottom