Slip on exhaust | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Slip on exhaust

This is hilarious :ROFLMAO: ! They really don't have anything better to do eh? "Hmmmmm, I think the time has come team, we really need to figure out what to do with our time....let's set up roadside stops with decibel meters and ding people for noisy vehicles". What a joke
New Toronto noise bylaw has been passed and takes effect in October. In part:
34. Add a provision prohibiting sound from a motorcycle if it emits any sound exceeding 92 dB(A) from the exhaust outlet as measured at 50cm, while the motorcycle engine is at idle.

92 decibels is quite high. Most bikes will pass even with aftermarket cans. Pushrod twins with drag pipes and civics with fart cans won't. The average dump truck would also fail.
A study was done years ago in Halton region were there was a lot of complaining going on about the most bikes on 15 sr. It was found that construction equipment from all the local limestone quarrys were the worst offenders.

Last edited:
92 decibels is quite high. Most bikes will pass even with aftermarket cans. Pushrod twins with drag pipes and civics with fart cans won't. The average dump truck would also fail.
Against my advice, they went with motorcycles only for that rule. They deal with many many motorcycle noise complaints and not nearly as many from cages. I agree, the limit is high. Only people that are blatantly trying to be dickheads will have an issue.

Who will enforce it?

Sent from the Moon!
That is a big part of the problem. Technically it is a bylaw offence, but bylaw officers do not have the authority to pull a vehicle over. TPS has the authority, but no will and a distinct lack of manpower to assist in enforcement. I suggested options, I haven't discussed with them how they plan to actually implement this (or maybe it's just in there to appease the public and it will very rarely be enforced).

A good law would be that all motorcycles comply with oem standards. Mobile inspection stations combined with issuance to local traffic officers forms to require attendance at the inspection station. Back in the day these were called cv-3's and were like candy to a traffic cop. Catch your little "look at me braap braap" goof , yank him over issue a cv-3 and he either complies and repairs or no plates. Very easy, very cool.

Loud enough to get truckers attention on the highway??? How effn loud is that? Truckers are too often incompetent, drunk , stoned , or learned to drive on another continent. Best advice is don't physically give the plicks a chance to kill you.

When I can hear the obnoxious noise oncoming from 100 yards away in normal 50 km/h traffic I don't even wave as the pathetic needful losers pass. They are an embarrassment.

And my little sewing machine can make a racket at times even oem. I choose when.

A good law would be that all motorcycles comply with oem standards. Mobile inspection stations combined with issuance to local traffic officers forms to require attendance at the inspection station.

**** that. Curious: Are you from the UK?

No need to make any inspection mobile, you have to go renew your plates every one or two years anyway so authorities can just wait until you go to them just like they did with the failing smog check program, which btw actually did succeed in removing a lot of the old wrecks from the road.

If authorities get into road side sound checks and noise numbers they have gone down a rabbit hole, if they are looking for an EPA stamp on a working exhaust system and no signs of tampering to the emission equipment they can enforce that easy, they are not stupid about what was on the bike when it was new. If they tried to enforce emission laws by road side sound check and inspection, at best they will only catch a few extreme offenders and all you guys with the intentionally loud pipes will just laugh it off by remaining barely compliant..

Back
Top Bottom