Slight front vibration after tire change..... What's the cause?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Slight front vibration after tire change..... What's the cause??

oioioi

Site Supporter
Asking all the experts on here, I know we have many,

I recently had my tires changed and I am now experiencing some slight vibration from the front (wheel?) at low speed when coming to a stop. (approx 30-40 km/h, may have noticed it around 60km/h a couple of times)
As I pull the clutch in and while coasting in neutral (gear position in NOT in N but the clutch pulled in) and coming to a stop sign or just slowing down, I feel a slight vibration from the front. It is not uncontrollable or or rigorous but it wasn't not there before prior to the tire change.

New tires are Shinko 705 (manufacturer date is week 43 of 2023) and and they were installed and balanced at a garage off the bike. I installed the wheels back on the bike myself.
While the wheels were off, I took the opportunity to clean/lubricate all all brake components and grease axle/bearings. Everything was torqued to specs as per manual. Possible even a hair over torque spec. Buy a hair I mean like 1/8 of a turn.

I have had the front wheel off last season for checking for balance as well. Same garage checked for balance and I also installed it myself. I am not a certified mechanic but I am quite confident the wheel is installed correctly. I didn't have this vibration issue with the previous tires after reinstalling the wheel.

Bike is 2020 VStrom Dl1050

Let's hear the opinions.

Does the wheel spin freely when on a fork stand?
Confirmed.
Just checked in the garage. Spinning freely other then the resistance/friction created from the brake pads rubbing on rotors.
Took the brakes off and wheel spins even more freely.
No side to side play in the wheel or any strange noise coming from bearings.

Put your eye in front of the top of the tire and spin. Do you notice any deviation left/right or up down? Same thing looking at the bead on each side. Tire pressure ok?

Don't know what bike, (vstrom?) but on the fjr, there's a sequence to follow while buttoning up the pinch bolts and axle nut. If done out of sequence, wobbles might happen.
Maybe loosen up the axle and pinch bolts......then tighten 'em up the opposite way you did the 1st time and see what happens.

Don't know what bike, (vstrom?) but on the fjr, there's a sequence to follow while buttoning up the pinch bolts and axle nut. If done out of sequence, wobbles might happen.
Maybe loosen up the axle and pinch bolts......then tighten 'em up the opposite way you did the 1st time and see what happens.
I will check the manual.

I did the axle bolt first then pinch bolts.
Not sure which order for the pinch bolts. There are 4.

I always start at the top pinch bolt and work my way down and up the other side. Starting with everything loose.

I always start at the top pinch bolt and work my way down and up the other side. Starting with everything loose.
DL1050s have their pinch bolts side by side 1087806820.jpg

Upper triple right, lower triple right, right axle pinch, axle, left axle pinch, lower left triple, upper left triple.

While you have the front wheel in the air... remove the brake and spin the wheel several times, some fast, some slow. The wheel SHOULD stop at a random location. If it always stops at one place, you have a bearing or balance problem.
Are there dots on tires? Do they line up with the air valve?

Rick: I think you're doing that bass ackwards

Alright another attempt in the garage. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Put your eye in front of the top of the tire and spin. Do you notice any deviation left/right or up down? Same thing looking at the bead on each side. Tire pressure ok?

Checked for this while the the front was on a stand. No noticeable deviation on the top or highest point in the tire. Also checked the edge where it meets the side wall. Same thing, seems as straight as an arrow.

Forgot to check for tire pressure, will check again tomorrow and try again.

I like this guy's method of centering the axle better than the Dave Moss' (bouncing the forks):

I tried to apply the 2nd method at the end of his video. It would not work as described in video. If I tried to spin the axle (with the pinch bolts completely loose) and the axle would not spin or move. It just wanted tighten further. I ended up applying method number one. This method is also outlined in the service manual of the DL1050.

While you have the front wheel in the air... remove the brake and spin the wheel several times, some fast, some slow. The wheel SHOULD stop at a random location. If it always stops at one place, you have a bearing or balance problem.

Tried this with the brakes removed. The wheel DOES stop at random spots, meaning it is balanced.
The red dot that is on the tire is maybe 2 inches off from the valve stem.

1715564989320.png

I ended up removing both brakes calipers and the wheel itself to reinstall as per suggestions and/or service manual. The axle is greased and I followed the instruction as outlined in the factory service manual.

1. Install the front wheel inserting the front axle from left side, and tighten the front axle nut temporarily.
2. Remove a jack or a wooden block.
3. Hold the front axle with the special tool and tighten the front axle nut (1) to the specified torque.
(I modified the previous 2 steps as I was using a front stand)
4. Install the front brake calipers.
5. Tighten the two axle pinch bolts on the right front fork leg to the specified torque.
6. Move the front fork up and down 4 or 5 times to stabilize the front axle.
7. Tighten the two axle pinch bolts on the left front fork leg to the specified torque.

Took it for another ride around the block.
The vibration is still ever so slightly present but I want to say maybe less then before. Only around the 35km/h speed or so.
I did try to see if applying the brakes would get rid of it. It does not. I tried applying the brakes from about 45km/h and bring it down in speeds below 30km/h. When the speeds is in the mid 30s, the vibration is still slightly there. Of course noticeable for much shorter time period as brakes are slowing the speed down.

I am leaning towards the nature of the tires themselves as the cause for this. I have ONLY ridden the bike for about 100 kms since the new tires were installed.

Reading some threads on the VStrom specific forum and it seems like the 705's are the culprit, they are known to vibrate.

Don't stop there.

Back
Top Bottom