Single Rider Motorcycles are now allowed in Ontario HOV lanes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Single Rider Motorcycles are now allowed in Ontario HOV lanes

The way I read it. This is only for HOV on Provincial and not Municipal unless otherwise signed?

The way I read it. This is only for HOV on Provincial and not Municipal unless otherwise signed?
Correct, although motorcycles are allowed in many municipal HOV already.

Either way it's only a by-law ticket if you get caught in Toronto HOV, not a moving violation.

I've got both a motorcycle and a green-plated car so good news all around!

Saw signs up for permitting motorcycles on 404 S hov. They didn't update the old signs, just added 2 new ones, quite far apart and easy to miss.

I've got both a motorcycle and a green-plated car so good news all around!
Green plates with single occupants can use 40x highways -- single occupant green plates are not permitted on city or municipal HOV lanes.

Reactions: LBV
That's nice news.
Everyone I've talked to that doesn't ride has apparently always assumed bikes could use HOVs hahaha, glad it's a thing that has happened now.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Just remember that you can only enter/exit at designated areas (3 points), and if you get behind someone doing 90 kph, you have to wait.

Also, if everyone else is going zero, don't be flying by at one twenty, someone's gonna pull out and clock you.

Just remember that you can only enter/exit at designated areas (3 points), and if you get behind someone doing 90 kph, you have to wait.

Also, if everyone else is going zero, don't be flying by at one twenty, someone's gonna pull out and clock you.
I use the hwy 7 HOV lane every day, it can be dangerous. \When traffic is moving slowly or stopped, I never do more than 20km faster than the lane to left of me (unless I'm following a car). Drivers routinely enter HOV lanes from a stop, if you're travelling at 70kmh and car doing 5kmh hits your lane... it could be ugly.

I wish they policed the HOV lanes in York Region. I use them daily, I have only see 1 enforcement day in 2 years.

Used the 403 HOV this morning. Gestured to a fellow biker to join me but he didn't. Thinking a lot of riders don't know it's legal now. Spread the word

Used the 403 HOV this morning. Gestured to a fellow biker to join me but he didn't. Thinking a lot of riders don't know it's legal now. Spread the word
I think a lot of seasoned bikers won't. The HOV lane is going to be a statistic maker for bikers -- we're going to see a few martyrs before it becomes useful for all.

so bikes can ride in any HOV lanes now? even 404 ?
All provincial highways yes.

Municipal is still a ticket, but its not a moving violation so it won't affect insurance.

Drivers routinely enter HOV lanes from a stop, if you're travelling at 70kmh and car doing 5kmh hits your lane... it could be ugly.

In theory, having access to the HOV lanes is great. In practice, especially when traffic is very heavy, there is a substantial risk to riders of someone cutting in as above and causing an accident. I've seen many accidents where a car driver has cut in on another car/SUV/pickup truck and been rear ended or side swiped. If you're blind or incompetent and can't see a car you'll never see a much smaller motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom