Simple Bluetooth Helmet Speaker Recommendation Needed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Simple Bluetooth Helmet Speaker Recommendation Needed

ReSTored

I have a Scala near the end of its life on a HJC Symax. Symax is >5 years old and needed to be replaced.

Using Sharp modular helmet ratings ( Helmets Archive - SHARP ) with a minimum 4 star rating that actually stays closed in a crash ( 95% and up) the list of options at my price point is pretty small and the LS2 modular ( $300 on sale at GP ) seemed like a good deal overall. LS2 and Sena have an integrated communicator that's about $300 vs. the roughly $200 you pay for a baseline generic single Scala or Sena unit. I noted a number of helmets are now designed in a manner that requires a proprietary type communicator. LS2, Nolan, Shoei are examples of this and in most cases you'd be paying $100 more for the proprietary unit vs. a universal fit one with similar capabilities.

After 10 years with 2 Scalas I've determined my needs are pretty basic. At this point I listen to music from an ipod playlist and that's it. I wear earplugs, the ipod connects to my Scala via BT and I use the volume control as sound levels can vary based on the song playing or my speed etc..... I don't want or need an FM radio (??), rider to rider communication, BT to cellphone or GPS, that seems to come standard with all units.

So, looking for a unit with decent speakers, BT capability for an ipod or iphone and volume control. Volume control could be remote. Would prefer to purchase through Amazon due to very flexible return policies as I'd be setting it up and testing it soon after receipt and if it doesn't work properly or sound good, the no hassle return policy is great.

It's been years since I bought my Interphone F4 and the batteries are done. Plus it's past time to replace my helmet(s) as well. I was thinking of this too. With phone technology and voice commands improving, I wonder if wireless earbuds make sense. I have some Samsung buds that are not very comfortable to wear and would probably be hell inside a helmet but there has got to be a better and less expensive alternative to Scala or Interphone.

Where is that subscribe button?

I have a Shark Spartan helmet combined with the Sena 10R low profile unit. It's not what I'd call hi-fi, but it does the job as well as can be expected without resorting to in-ear headphones. It's as expensive as the integrated unit you mention, but I figured I'd pass on my experience with it.

The Spartan will accept the proprietary Sharktooth communicator, so has a slot cut into the rear of the helmet for the battery. This also fits the 10R battery nicely, allowing for a much cleaner install and a much smaller control unit on the outside of the helmet (quieter, too, with less turbulence). I tried a Cardo Packtalk Slim first, but the mounting system didn't work with the rubber venting around the rear of the helmet. I had wanted the JBL speakers from Cardo, but no such luck.

The Sena is fine for phone calls. People are surprised when I tell them I'm on my bike, as the noise cancelling and clarity are excellent. I don't chat for long, usually just answering to tell people I'll call them back when I'm off the bike or calling the wife to let her know when I'll be getting home, so I can't speak to how much this affects battery life.

For music, it's a bit crap and I don't bother. I'm a fussy listener, and I hate having frequencies attenuated, so am probably pickier than some. For context, I pay extra for Tidal streaming to get CD quality at a minimum (and get more money in artists' hands, eff Spotify and iTunes), have Adam monitors hooked to my desktop and JBL 4301b speakers for my small home hi-fi setup. I don't have a $30k home stereo or $1000 headphones, though, so am at entry-level audiophile, not obsessive. Because of this, I'm not convinced any in-helmet (vs in-ear) speakers would work for me. There's just too much wind noise. Add earplugs to that, and it seems a bit self-defeating to cut noise and then crank volume to overcome the plugs. That's a long way of saying I don't listen to music on the bike, I guess...

I mostly use the headset to control my phone via Google Assistant. I use Android Auto and an SP Connect phone mount for navigating with Google Maps, and my Aprilia has Bluetooth controls on the bars, so I just tap the voice button and can change destination, route options, find gas (necessary on a Tuono), reply to texts etc, without having to faff about trying to tap the screen with fat gloves on. It's not foolproof, and can be frustrating when it doesn't understand what you want, but broadly it works better than any alternative I've used.

I use the outdoor tech wireless chips 2.0. Obviously not really designed for bike helmets but oh well. Not really anything crazy but saved me a ton of money while allowing the possibility for phone calls and music inside my helmet.

BF4955EF-C347-416A-845C-43AB1EA0D9CC.jpeg

Just took these, some double sided tape and stuck them in the ear wells. The only buttons are on the outer sides so to click them i either do so while the helmet is off pushing the device against the side, or reach up and in while its on. Does the trick for me

It's been years since I bought my Interphone F4 and the batteries are done. Plus it's past time to replace my helmet(s) as well. I was thinking of this too. With phone technology and voice commands improving, I wonder if wireless earbuds make sense. I have some Samsung buds that are not very comfortable to wear and would probably be hell inside a helmet but there has got to be a better and less expensive alternative to Scala or Interphone.

Where is that subscribe button?
Samsung buds don’t work for you? I think they are glorious for in helmet use. Does your lid have ear cutouts?

I have a Shark Spartan helmet combined with the Sena 10R low profile unit. It's not what I'd call hi-fi, but it does the job as well as can be expected without resorting to in-ear headphones. It's as expensive as the integrated unit you mention, but I figured I'd pass on my experience with it.

The Spartan will accept the proprietary Sharktooth communicator, so has a slot cut into the rear of the helmet for the battery. This also fits the 10R battery nicely, allowing for a much cleaner install and a much smaller control unit on the outside of the helmet (quieter, too, with less turbulence). I tried a Cardo Packtalk Slim first, but the mounting system didn't work with the rubber venting around the rear of the helmet. I had wanted the JBL speakers from Cardo, but no such luck.

The Sena is fine for phone calls. People are surprised when I tell them I'm on my bike, as the noise cancelling and clarity are excellent. I don't chat for long, usually just answering to tell people I'll call them back when I'm off the bike or calling the wife to let her know when I'll be getting home, so I can't speak to how much this affects battery life.

For music, it's a bit crap and I don't bother. I'm a fussy listener, and I hate having frequencies attenuated, so am probably pickier than some. For context, I pay extra for Tidal streaming to get CD quality at a minimum (and get more money in artists' hands, eff Spotify and iTunes), have Adam monitors hooked to my desktop and JBL 4301b speakers for my small home hi-fi setup. I don't have a $30k home stereo or $1000 headphones, though, so am at entry-level audiophile, not obsessive. Because of this, I'm not convinced any in-helmet (vs in-ear) speakers would work for me. There's just too much wind noise. Add earplugs to that, and it seems a bit self-defeating to cut noise and then crank volume to overcome the plugs. That's a long way of saying I don't listen to music on the bike, I guess...

I mostly use the headset to control my phone via Google Assistant. I use Android Auto and an SP Connect phone mount for navigating with Google Maps, and my Aprilia has Bluetooth controls on the bars, so I just tap the voice button and can change destination, route options, find gas (necessary on a Tuono), reply to texts etc, without having to faff about trying to tap the screen with fat gloves on. It's not foolproof, and can be frustrating when it doesn't understand what you want, but broadly it works better than any alternative I've used.
Pretty much agreed on in ear helmet systems, I had the JBLs from Cardo but once you hit speeds of 80+ it’s pointless. And yeah....wind noise.

I use the Samsung Buds+ They block the wind and I get the in ear music I crave. I can hear just fine around me still with excellent battery life.

If I’m not careful with the helmet removal they can go flying, so I usually just sneak my hand up and remove them before pulling the lid off. It’s a small annoyance as far as I’m concerned.

Samsung buds don’t work for you? I think they are glorious for in helmet use. Does your lid have ear cutouts?
I got them for Christmas and haven't used them on my bike. My current helmets have the interphone F4 system inside so I am sure there would be a lot of pressure if I used the Samsung buds.

I don't find them that comfortable and like you said they fall out pretty easily. I need a new helmet so it's probably best to bring the buds along when I am trying stuff on.

Sound quality is excellent and battery life is remarkably good. Do they work well with Google Assistant while riding?

I got them for Christmas and haven't used them on my bike. My current helmets have the interphone F4 system inside so I am sure there would be a lot of pressure if I used the Samsung buds.

I don't find them that comfortable and like you said they fall out pretty easily. I need a new helmet so it's probably best to bring the buds along when I am trying stuff on.

Sound quality is excellent and battery life is remarkably good. Do they work well with Google Assistant while riding?
Well....are we talking about THE Samsung Buds? (I use Buds+ now).
My ears reject pretty much all type of bud style ear phones. Air Pods are even worse. However with the wing style attachment on the Buds they are super snug and do not fall out during use. They only fall off because the check pads pull against them when removing the lid.

Have you tried swapping out the wings and the ear tips?

Check that your helmet has cutouts in the padding for your ears. If you already have in helmet comm system headphones there then I would certainly suggest removing them.

Haven’t tried an assistant yet. Just moved to iPhone so I’ll give Siri a whirl in a month or two.

Well....are we talking about THE Samsung Buds? (I use Buds+ now).
My ears reject pretty much all type of bud style ear phones. Air Pods are even worse. However with the wing style attachment on the Buds they are super snug and do not fall out during use. They only fall off because the check pads pull against them when removing the lid.

Check that your helmet has cutouts in the padding for your ears. If you already have in helmet comm system headphones there the. I would certainly suggest removing them.

Haven’t tried an assistant yet. Just moved to iPhone so I’ll give Siri a whirl in a month or two.
Yup, THE Samsung Buds+.

I removed the wing attachment and replaced with the flush attachment. I figured that was this issue but it's not.

Yup, THE Samsung Buds+.

I removed the wing attachment and replaced with the flush attachment. I figured that was this issue but it's not.
What part is not comfortable? I realize everyone is different. For me the wing is the only thing that makes these Buds work for me (preventing them from falling out over time).

What part is not comfortable? I realize everyone is different. For me the wing is the only thing that makes these Buds work for me (preventing them from falling out over time).
They just don't seem to fit me well and over time they are uncomfortable. Not horribly uncomfortable just not great.

They just don't seem to fit me well and over time they are uncomfortable. Not horribly uncomfortable just not great.
Well if you’ve tried the different ear bud sizes and wing options maybe they aren’t the ones for you. If I recall Jabra makes a nice product that I would consider as an alternative.

Limited-time deal: Jabra Elite Active 75t True Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds, Copper Black – Wireless Earbuds for Running and Sport, Charging Case Included, 4th Generation, 24 Hour Battery, Noise Canceling Sport Earbuds https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B086VPY45Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dlT1_ER49C5S99N09THM2K4ZF

I believe there are more expensive and cheaper versions of this style in their product line.

Maybe its my ears, but any in-ear solution I've tried (iPhone earphones, Shure in-ear monitors), get squeezed completely or partially out of my ears as I pull my helmet on. In-helmet speakers are the only option for me, so I went with the Sena 3S as a cheap name brand to test the waters out (about $100 at GP Bikes), and was happy for the price. Volume could be louder on the highway, but I've heard this about even the top of the line units (back when I bought it a few years ago), and it never bothered me enough to play with spacers to get them closer to my ear. The other thing is that with only 2 buttons (+ and -), you need to remember what key press duration does what (volume is press and release, track skip is press and hold for a second, etc.). I recently upgraded to a Cardo Freecom 4+ just to get complete hands free operation, and it's been amazing and worth the added cost (to me). As far as I can tell, it's the cheapest name brand option with voice control.

Maybe its my ears, but any in-ear solution I've tried (iPhone earphones, Shure in-ear monitors), get squeezed completely or partially out of my ears as I pull my helmet on. In-helmet speakers are the only option for me, so I went with the Sena 3S as a cheap name brand to test the waters out (about $100 at GP Bikes), and was happy for the price. Volume could be louder on the highway, but I've heard this about even the top of the line units (back when I bought it a few years ago), and it never bothered me enough to play with spacers to get them closer to my ear. The other thing is that with only 2 buttons (+ and -), you need to remember what key press duration does what (volume is press and release, track skip is press and hold for a second, etc.). I recently upgraded to a Cardo Freecom 4+ just to get complete hands free operation, and it's been amazing and worth the added cost (to me). As far as I can tell, it's the cheapest name brand option with voice control.
Yea you need to pull the cheek pads further apart if they stick out that far.

thats why I love the Samsung Buds. They have a winglet that braces against the back of your inner ear. Helps prevent falling out during the pull on and the ride.

Yea you need to pull the cheek pads further apart if they stick out that far.

Being the cheap bastard that I am, I'm pretty sure I tired everything to get them on without falling out. Oh well, couldn't be happier with my current setup, so it all worked out.

I picked up a uclear last year for a good deal. I find its okay for sound and fit

I use a Freecom 2 and EarPeace plugs. It’s not a perfect setup but works well for me. I found speaker positioning made a very big difference and it took a few tries to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

You always need the correct tips for your ears. With a thin balaclava on can't see how they could possibly "fall out."

Happiness,,,,,got my 215 BT headphones - finally riding with books and music and directions - easy fit under helmet ...easy pairing with the phone.

Back
Top Bottom