Sidecars? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sidecars?

Grasstrack was the first sidecar racing I ever watched back home, they used to do trails in the sand pits also.

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed it.

When I was young - late teens/early 20's - there was a group that tried to get a series started in Ontario and Quebec. I don't think we ever had more that 6 outfits out so it didn't really catch on although its huge in Europe.

My dad was always into sidecars and raced with the SRA for a number of years but loved MX. He had a Rhind-Tutt WASP frame with a 920 Norton that ran on methanol. It was very old school by today's standards. It weighed a ton and probably only produced around 50 HP. I remember it had the remote oil filter bolted down to the floor and PiperCross air filters and pipes (are they still in business?).

I'm going to see if I can get my brother to dig through the family photo albums and scan a few pictures.

Now its all purpose built single cylinder motors. For a while it was almost all 700cc Zabel monster 2 strokes. Now it seems that the TM 4 stroke motor is the thing to have. I still think it would be quite fun with the TM 450 as a starting point. They do still race them in the US and have been to see them at Glen Helen a few times, but its still very niche in North America

In the late 1970s a guy named Eddy Pinchbeck tried importing WASP motocross sidecars for a while.
Unfortunately nobody cared.

I have a friend named Geoff Robb, he used to road race sidecars here in Ontario with his wife as his monkey. Bloody crazy to do it. They had a few nasty crashes and for some reason his wife said NOPE!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

In the late 1970s a guy named Eddy Pinchbeck tried importing WASP motocross sidecars for a while.
Unfortunately nobody cared.

That's a shame they were awesome to watch and hear live. Grasstrack was a big deal in Wiltshire where i grew up.

Sidecar trials is a thing in the UK. No idea how it's scored. Seems kinda silly really.

Sidecar trials is a thing in the UK. No idea how it's scored. Seems kinda silly really.
Pretty funny really. The guy explains scoring about halfway through the video.
I found this one had a little more "action".

Pretty funny really. The guy explains scoring about halfway through the video.
I found this one had a little more "action".

Challenging? Yes. Skill testing? Sure.
But it still looks as exciting as watching paint dry.

Back
Top Bottom