Should i Buy? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should i Buy?

qaz393

Site Supporter
so im taking a look at a ninja 250, but the bike has been dropped hard.

The steering is not straight, but the bike can go straight and does not wobble.

There are cosmetic damages to the fairing and fairing stay.

The main thing of concern is the steering. Is it an easy fix or should i just walk away?

Im going to get the bike at a really good price, so an estimate of how much to fix the steering would be great

you probably need new forks, and I would get the frame checked out. never know it could be bent or crack then it's pretty much a piece of junk.

you probably need new forks, and I would get the frame checked out. never know it could be bent or crack then it's pretty much a piece of junk.

^ +1 to this

There are many things to look at when a bike has been crashed. If it looks like the frame could have been damaged, walk away. Everything else, you should probably get a mechanic to check it out as repair bills will probably be a lot more than what you could be getting the bike for new. (aka write off)

Depending on how bad it is, the seller is probably selling it because of how much the damages will cost and did not have collision coverage. (Thanks captain obvious)

I don't get buying a wecked bike unless you know something about bikes. Just the hassle alone to get it checked out is not worth it (to me). Why not get a road worthy bike to start with?

It is possible that the handlebars are not aligned with the path of the front wheel because the forks have been turned in the triple clamps - which are probably bent. Fairly easy fix.

It is possible that in addition to the above, that one or both fork tubes are bent. More replacement parts, more labour. Up goes the cost.

It is possible that in addition to the above, that the frame is bent. In that case, although the theoretical possibility might exist that it could be straightened, the bike is essentially only good for parts at that point.

Add to all that, all of the cosmetic parts and all of the little things that are invariably also damaged in such a wreck.

If you want to end up with a good, straight bike that has good resale value at some point in time, just buy a good one to begin with and forget about this one.

If the bike is worth fixing, let the seller fix it. If the seller doesn't want to fix it ... maybe that's because it's not worth fixing. Either way, it is almost certainly a problem better left to someone else.

+1 ^

But if you're handy, like working on bikes and are a cheap *** like me, you can save a lot of money.
If you've decided to pull the trigger on it and fix it up, I'd recommend you not pay a lot for it.

+1 ^

But if you're handy, like working on bikes and are a cheap *** like me, you can save a lot of money.
If you've decided to pull the trigger on it and fix it up, I'd recommend you not pay a lot for it.

The key word is if you have the funds, time, and knowledge about building a bike. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 07 VFR 800 from a bare clean/legit frame. I currently have 99% of the parts - minus the engine and so far i'm about $2500 cheaper than what it is to buy a complete one. So far an engine from teh USA is going to set me back $600us shipped to the usa address + customs. The cheapest engine I found here was $1500+s. btw going vfr classic colours.

However if the bike is $500 then it might be worth getting it looked at. However i except shop rate would be around $1500-$2000 in repairs. If you do it yourself. maybe $1k tops? That's if your handy in finding parts (not internet) and the know how, and willing to let it sit for a while. However the main thing is the FRAME. If it's damaged try and find a legit one from the USA for cheap?

Bikes are made to be dropped otherwise they would have more tires.That being said it takes alot to mess it up so that it won;t go str8. I agree with others here leave it to someone else. Bikes slide down the road all the times an get cosmetic damage but still ride str8. To not ride str8 it rolled or hit something hard. I personally wouldn't trust any mechanic to get the bike back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom