Short term m/c insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Short term m/c insurance

kmawani

Hi......need some advice.

Last year I moved from Toronto to Winnipeg on a temp work assignment. I left my bike in Toronto and canceled my insurance. I am coming to Toronto next week for about a month and a half, and going back to Winnipeg in mid-September for another 4-5 months. I am hoping to ride my bike while in Toronto.

Does anyone know where I can get short term m/c insurance? What options do I have? I don't want to buy insurance for a whole year and only use 1.5 month.

Any help, advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Kev.

I think you are SOL

There is no easy way to do this. Without jumping through hoops and maybe falsifying information.

You are trying to get a fair deal on motorcycle insurance in Ontario? :unsure: I bet they are going to take one look at your insurance history and then charge you enough to get back all the coin you thought you were saving by dropping your insurance coverage.

You are trying to get a fair deal on motorcycle insurance in Ontario? :unsure: I bet they are going to take one look at your insurance history and then charge you enough to get back all the coin you thought you were saving by dropping your insurance coverage.

This. You shouldn't have cancelled.

How long is your back & forth situation expected to last?

You can sign up for a normal policy and cancel. You might get hit with minimum retained premium but since you are picking the most expensive months maybe not. Expect to pay 20% to 40% of the yearly policy for that six weeks. Bike insurance over the winter costs almost nothing. Read up on how insurance in ontario works and you may decide not to cancel.

Call a broker and be honest about what you're aiming for.

You CAN take a 1 year policy and cancel it when you're done, but two things to keep in mind - many options will include a cancellation fee in this scenario, and second, the way MC insurance is weighted in Canada your monthly payments are only about half of the actual premium you would normally pay, the rest of it being covered in the winter months. In short, when you cancel in a month you're going to get a bill in the mail for the difference, probably at least 1.5 months worth of premium plus any fees.

It's going to be costly and a hassle no matter what.

how about register your bike and insure in the province which is cheaper. And ride back and forth weather permitting. Winnipeg to Toronto is not that far? It would be a nice ride.

how about register your bike and insure in the province which is cheaper. And ride back and forth weather permitting. Winnipeg to Toronto is not that far? It would be a nice ride.
And his is the rare case where it wouldn't be fraud as he is spending the vast majority of the year out there.

Chance are he is out there to work. Probably does not have much time to spare and ride.

Stupid question.
Are the summers in Winnipeg shorter than here?
Never followed their seasons but I would think they probably get much colder/snow much faster than we do in the year.

Chance are he is out there to work. Probably does not have much time to spare and ride.

Stupid question.
Are the summers in Winnipeg shorter than here?
Never followed their seasons but I would think they probably get much colder/snow much faster than we do in the year.
He may not have time to ride there, but if the bike spends most of it's life in MB, he can get $600 MB insurance instead of $2000 ON insurance.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys; I appreciate it. I'll try to answer all the questions in one post.

Insurance:
Yes, I know expecting a fair deal in Ontario is out of the question. I was paying $1000/yearly when I was in Toronto. As a couple of you have suggested, I could simply get an entire year and cancel. Even if I have to 50% of the yearly insurance, I am ok with that. My home and car is through a broker so I will explore this option with him.

Riding back and forth - Winnipeg - TOR - Winnipeg:
Not an option. 24 hr straight drive. By car it would take about 2 days (single driver) with a couple of stops. On a bike, thats even longer. With meals and a hotel (even gas), cost adds up.

Time to ride in Winnipeg; kind of summer, etc:
I have time to ride in Winnipeg. However, if anyone has been to Winnipeg or Googled Winnipeg topography, you will realize why even the locals call Winnipeg the 'armpit of Canada'. lol. Roads are straight and boring. Not as exciting as Ontario. The closest city to Winnipeg is Minneapolis......and that is a 7 hour drive. There are other smaller towns/cities......but really, nothing exciting.

Summer in Winnipeg is fantastic. And no, its not 3 hours long. :) I am actually pleasantly surprised with the summer. 28'C here does not feel like 28'C in Toronto where it can be muggy and humid. It literally is still light at about 10:30pm. Even in winter when it gets to about -25'C, it really doesn't feel as cold, because the air here is dry, not damp.

Thanks again for all your responses. :)

Back
Top Bottom