Shops that sell older/vintage parts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shops that sell older/vintage parts

lakshan

Hey guys, I have trouble sourcing stuff out for my KZ650, which makes sense as everything is discontinued. But I know there are aftermarket options out there. I've been going through Motorsports Pickering to get some stuff but they are limited in what they can source, and they're not super helpful to dig into aftermarket part nos and all that. Anyone have a shop they can recommend to look for older parts? (I've already tried most of the bigger shops like GPBikes and the Kawi dealerships. One place I found so far wants to charge way more than they're worth. Last resort would be ebay...)

Specifically looking for ignition points/condensers right now.

A quick google search turned up Z1 Enterprises and Dime City Cycle. I imagine you already know about them.

Yup that's another online option I could use other than Ebay. Wanted to see if I could save the time/shipping and source them locally but if not that will be the way to go for sure.

Oshawa Cycle Salvage? I know they work on a lot of older bikes. He's only open Tuesdays and Thursdays in the winter.

Scrap yards are Great for some things, not so good for OEM ignition parts.
I have heard of people converting a lot of different bike models to electronic ignition, most report success fwiw.

eBay sucks in general but it's still by far the best option for maintaining our old barges. Be patient, set up a bunch of email alerts and you're bound to score stuff for cheap.

Example: I got a full, clean OEM exhaust for my FJ600 for US$15+$50 shipping, then the seller took a month to ship and he felt bad about it so he refunded the shipping (!)

Ultimate Cycle in Hamilton.
Not much new, gobs of old parts.

If all else fails Dynatek looks like it would cost about 160$ + to convert to pointless ignition.

If all else fails Dynatek looks like it would cost about 160$ + to convert to pointless ignition.
As proper setup of points was from before my time, my default position has always been to pull them out and put in electronic ignition. That being said, I got a free snowblower almost 10 years ago that I didn't want to put any money in so I setup the points and haven't had an issue with it since. I always thought they were a scary boogiemonster (like carbs for the kids today) but it was just lack of knowledge on my part.

Scrap yards are Great for some things, not so good for OEM ignition parts.
I have heard of people converting a lot of different bike models to electronic ignition, most report success fwiw.

I've found the salvage guys know of sources for aftermarket stuff like ignitions etc.

eBay sucks in general but it's still by far the best option for maintaining our old barges. Be patient, set up a bunch of email alerts and you're bound to score stuff for cheap.

Example: I got a full, clean OEM exhaust for my FJ600 for US$15+$50 shipping, then the seller took a month to ship and he felt bad about it so he refunded the shipping (!)

Wow! That's amazing. Thanks for your responses guys, that salvage tip was helpful. There's a salvage place called Peterborough Cycle Salvage and they have brand new points and condensers in stock !! And for a very reasonable price too (last price I was quoted was $90, at Peterborough I'm getting it for $35 which is what it should cost). Going to pick up today :)

As for conversion, I've been wrestling with the idea for a while. I can get the Dyna S for about $260 CAD after shipping/taxes and all that which is pretty pricy but if points get impossible to source, that would be the way to go. Carbs/Points are also way before my time haha and it was daunting at first, but a good manual and a helpful forum got me through most of it. The ignition points gapping/timing is actually pretty straight forward and apparently the experienced guys on the forum say a properly tuned points system is as good as electronic. Considering cost as well, I'm going to stick to the points for now just to get her running and then decide on upgrading later.

Thanks guys!

Peterborough cycle salvage is getting those points from MC Distributing. Any shop can order from MC.
Those points are $11.95 (part # 14-0014, 14-0015).

Mike's XS, DimeCity, Z1 Enterprises and MC distributing are all owned by one family, and started life as MC Distributing in Stratford, Ontario.
Anything Mike's XS, Dimecity or Z1 sells, is available from MC.
MC Distributing is a wholesale company so they don't sell directly to the public but EVERY bike shop has their catalogue.
If you are going to screw around with KZ's you should know Steve Darlington from the VRRA. Steve would like to be known as THE KZ guy. These bikes are quite popular with vintage racers so www.vrra.ca/board is a good place to advertise for vintage KZ parts.
Johnny Bent at Bent Bikes is probably a lot closer to you than Peterborough. 905 273 3717

Peterborough cycle salvage is getting those points from MC Distributing. Any shop can order from MC.
Those points are $11.95 (part # 14-0014, 14-0015).

Mike's XS, DimeCity, Z1 Enterprises and MC distributing are all owned by one family, and started life as MC Distributing in Stratford, Ontario.
Anything Mike's XS, Dimecity or Z1 sells, is available from MC.
MC Distributing is a wholesale company so they don't sell directly to the public but EVERY bike shop has their catalogue.
If you are going to screw around with KZ's you should know Steve Darlington from the VRRA. Steve would like to be known as THE KZ guy. These bikes are quite popular with vintage racers so www.vrra.ca/board is a good place to advertise for vintage KZ parts.
Johnny Bent at Bent Bikes is probably a lot closer to you than Peterborough. 905 273 3717

That's really good information, thanks! That makes sense, a lot of shops said "We have this one store that still sells old parts..." so I guess they were all talking about MC Distributing. Good to know as I was looking to order some stuff from Z1... looks like I don't have to get it from the states anymore :) Crazy the difference in mark up between stores if they really all get it from that one supplier.

I actually live in Oshawa and work in Markham so Peterborough isn't so bad for me, planning to go straight there after work today. Traffic would be a bit less of a PITA vs Mississauga o_O

Back
Top Bottom