Service cost? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Service cost?

Hack

Anyone have an idea as to what the going rate would be for replacing a set of steering head bearings on a '17 F800GSA..?

It's going to be a few hundred bucks. It's a couple hours of labour plus parts.

Why do they need to be replaced on 2017 bike?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

^this

If they dont actively need to be replaced, dont worry about it

Why do they need to be replaced on 2017 bike?

Mileage... Plus I "believe" or so I've heard that the F800GSA eats these bearings...
'Buddy has put over 40 000km on the bike since new... The bearings were BTS (Beat To S***)

The pronounced/deafening "clunk" coming from the headstock coupled with difficulty in steering the machine out of it's "track" indicated it was time LoL

Taper bearings?
I've seen them with no grease at all on them right from a factory, but destroying them takes a lot.

From the time I got the bike up onto the lift until the last fastener was buttoned up... 4 hours.
'Probably could have done it in 3 hours, but... I take my time and am pretty meticulous.

Front wheel and fender off
LjvjaVl.jpg

Bars and forks off
phxaWRm.jpg

Top race before a wipe
Oj6Bp3j.jpg

Top race after a wipe
wmIEvA1.jpg

Bottom race... This is were I think the big problem(s) came from... The race was BTS.

gl48dEX.jpg

Yoke with old BTS bearing/cup still in place.
blB7DHP.jpg

New bottom race installed.
9SuwOgK.jpg

New top race installed
IDDhfS6.jpg

Top bearing installed and yoke installed
ASfJGls.jpg

Almost done...

Jalw96i.jpg

Taper bearings?
I've seen them with no grease at all on them right from a factory, but destroying them takes a lot.

Well... over 40 000 km and not exactly easy, riding to Dairy Queen kms...

They even had a little bit of grease on them :LOL: well done.

They even had a little bit of grease on them :LOL: well done.

The old set were adequately greased, but it was apparent some water had gotten to it...
'New bearings are properly packed/greased I assure you:cool:

My DIY race getter-outer...
'Worked like a charm... Three firm "taps" with a small ballpeen hammer and each race was out..
ZmRphpR.jpg

DIY race puller/seater... Technically known as a race "getter-inner"
iB08Aaq.jpg

Princess Auto bearing driver... For driving that bottom bearing onto the steering shaft. 'Works like a charm and the best part... Cost... $19.99 plus applicable taxes.
Qt1EVH3.jpg

About 4hrs at BMW $118.00 per, parts about $80.00 , grease, incidentals, some sort of enviro tax and the secret BMW surtax, your not buying your own beer till past Christmas. Nicely done.

Back
Top Bottom