Self-storage units that accept motorcycles? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Self-storage units that accept motorcycles?

Nope! The dealer will not cover your loss. Any claims are made to your insurer. I know this from experience having a car stolen from a dealership years ago. I was surprised at the time to find the dealership would not cover the loss. Apparently it's detailed somewhere in the pages of fine print on the back of the contract you sign when you take your vehicle to a dealership. Also, I purchased a bike at a dealership in Dec. one year but wasn't picking it up until April the following year. The dealer told me I had to provide insurance coverage on the bike in order for them to store it for 3 months.
Wow, good to know. I guess it's like a parking lot, then, where they're not responsible for anything.

Nope! The dealer will not cover your loss. Any claims are made to your insurer. I know this from experience having a car stolen from a dealership years ago. I was surprised at the time to find the dealership would not cover the loss. Apparently it's detailed somewhere in the pages of fine print on the back of the contract you sign when you take your vehicle to a dealership. Also, I purchased a bike at a dealership in Dec. one year but wasn't picking it up until April the following year. The dealer told me I had to provide insurance coverage on the bike in order for them to store it for 3 months.
Well this is surprising..

I know someone who had their fairly new ZX6R stolen from a dealer around here while it was in for service

(dealer got raided by thieves and her bike was one of the victims).

Dealer gave her a brand new ZX6R off the floor as compensation, her insurance was never involved.

I know someone who had their fairly new ZX6R stolen from a dealer around here while it was in for service

Dealer gave her a brand new ZX6R off the floor as compensation, her insurance was never involved.
That certainly wasn't my experience. In fact, when my car was stolen, the dealer even tried to invoice me for work they claimed they had done lol. I told them where they could file that invoice. Never hear from them again on that issue. The insurance thing is easy enough to verify. Just ask any dealer next time you take your buke in for service or for storage; 'who's insurance is on the hook if my bike does a disappearing act while in your custody?'

The insurance thing is easy enough to verify. Just ask any dealer next time you take your buke in for service or for storage; 'who's insurance is on the hook if my bike does a disappearing act while in your custody?'
Or before!

I've heard both ways. The really infuriating scenario is where a dealership employee crashes your car and then tells you to claim the damage on your insurance. Again, check the fine print.

I just rented a unit from Access Storage. As part of the rental process you are asked to provide your ownership and insurance information. Overall it was a good experience and they have no problem with motorcycles.

Yes you have insurance so the storage company is happy.

Is your insurance company happy that you live somewhere and store your vehicle elsewhere?

YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU JUST HAVE TO BE TRANSPARENT is what I stated.

Last edited:
This would be an unfortunate conversation.
why??

I told my insurance company that my bike was stored in a 24/7 monitored, closed gated, storage unit... they didn't mind at all..

They however, charged me insurance based on where I live, and not where it was stored... which was the pricier option as the unit was located away from Toronto.

why??

I told my insurance company that my bike was stored in a 24/7 monitored, closed gated, storage unit... they didn't mind at all..

They however, charged me insurance based on where I live, and not where it was stored... which was the pricier option as the unit was located away from Toronto.
*If* they didn't know and something happened.

I rent a 10x30 from Vaultra, They know that there is a mustang and a bike in there, and they're cool with it.

Back
Top Bottom