Self-storage units that accept motorcycles? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Self-storage units that accept motorcycles?

caje

Does anyone have any experience with using self-storage units for storing motorcycles, while still taking them for rides regularly? I may be moving back to K-W this summer and will probably be in an apartment without secure parking. Ideally I'd like to find a storage unit I could drive to, park my car and then hop on the bike when I want to ride, plus somewhere where I could work on it if needed.

I've read that a lot of them require you to drain all the gas/oil, which obviously wouldn't work. Are there any chains that don't have a problem with this?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.

I know a guy in Acton that rents out secure storage space. Great guy but it's about 50 km from K-W. PM for deets.

I used Public Storage this winter to store my motorcycle. No need to drain fluids. In fact, I actually dropped it tank full with fuel stabilizer. I know Access storage has similar facilities. But it's an expensive option. For a 5x10 storage space, you're looking at 150-170 + tax pm or more.

Public had 3 months 50% off going on when I rented out!

Does anyone have any experience with using self-storage units for storing motorcycles, while still taking them for rides regularly? I may be moving back to K-W this summer and will probably be in an apartment without secure parking. Ideally I'd like to find a storage unit I could drive to, park my car and then hop on the bike when I want to ride, plus somewhere where I could work on it if needed.

I've read that a lot of them require you to drain all the gas/oil, which obviously wouldn't work. Are there any chains that don't have a problem with this?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.
I used storage mart for a good 3 years. Works fine for a ninja 300/ sport bike..

I used very little space... just a 5x10 unit. It was a drive up location and it fit the bike and a few other things. I was even able to squeeze in there and do oil changes on that thing. No problems really...

I used storage mart for a good 3 years. Works fine for a ninja 300/ sport bike..

I used very little space... just a 5x10 unit. It was a drive up location and it fit the bike and a few other things. I was even able to squeeze in there and do oil changes on that thing. No problems really...

How much do they charge per month for unit like that, if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

How much do they charge per month for unit like that, if you don't mind me asking?

Going to hugely vary depending on location. You're basically paying to borrow someone's land/space. I pay about $200 for a 6x12 (could be off by a foot or two) unit in Markham.

If you're looking for a unit to park your bike, I would suggest to look for a place that isn't a major chain, and on the ghetto side (as in not super sparkly and polished). Not only will it be cheaper, but they're much more likely to look the other way at you keeping a running bike in your unit. I'm sure most if not all storage place's insurance is setup not to allow motor vehicles with fluids in a unit because of the fire hazard.

Saying all that, OP's plan of parking a bike and visiting it when wanting to go for a ride is unlikely to lead to much if any riding time unless it's walking distance from where you live. It's just too much of a PITA to have to drive somewhere, get geared up, go for a ride, come back, degear, drive home.

At one point, I had one too many bikes, kept one in my storage unit. Even though my unit is 15-20 minute drive from home and I could just ride a bike there and switch, I would be surprised if I did that more than once every 2-3 weeks.

I paid $100 a month... but it quickly rose to $140 a month...

I was here asking for guys who could join up and rent a large spot, so we could have 4 bikes with 4 guys paying about $75 or so each..

Maybe that will be an option for you

hell even if a buddy would let you, park in their backyard and locked with a huge chain or many aircraft cables to something else. at least there, its out of sight and locked up and covered.

What about insurance?

Does your companies know they are parked in a storage unit/buddies garage?

What about insurance?

This would be an unfortunate conversation.

What about insurance?

I've been storing a couple of bikes at a friend's place, and Desjardins has no problems with it. I just gave them the new address. We're in different parts of Mississauga, but no change in premium.

My train of thought.

If it gets stolen/damaged/etc who's insurance covers the vehicle and does the company know where it is stored, other than the payee's address.

My train of thought.

If it gets stolen/damaged/etc who's insurance covers the vehicle and does the company know where it is stored, other than the payee's address.
House insurance doesn't cover vehicles. So if you want it protected against a fire, you need to have fire coverage on your bike policy. Same for theft. I think the only exception is when you take it to a dealership and something happens to it under their care. I'm guessing it's their business liability that covers it, but that's just a guess.

House insurance doesn't cover vehicles. So if you want it protected against a fire, you need to have fire coverage on your bike policy. Same for theft. I think the only exception is when you take it to a dealership and something happens to it under their care. I'm guessing it's their business liability that covers it, but that's just a guess.
Nope! The dealer will not cover your loss. Any claims are made to your insurer. I know this from experience having a car stolen from a dealership years ago. I was surprised at the time to find the dealership would not cover the loss. Apparently it's detailed somewhere in the pages of fine print on the back of the contract you sign when you take your vehicle to a dealership. Also, I purchased a bike at a dealership in Dec. one year but wasn't picking it up until April the following year. The dealer told me I had to provide insurance coverage on the bike in order for them to store it for 3 months.

I meant does your insurance company know where you store it? Most of us use our home address.

I have a car stored in valley at a friend's place and my insurance company knows this so fire/theft is covered and cannot get denied coverage

I meant does your insurance company know where you store it? Most of us use our home address.

I have a car stored in valley at a friend's place and my insurance company knows this so fire/theft is covered and cannot get denied coverage
Yeah, you're supposed to tell them, otherwise how would they know? And if you don't tell them and something happens, they have the right to deny coverage if that would have made a material difference to your premium.

Back
Top Bottom