Second bike as a beater/practice. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Second bike as a beater/practice.

jay-d

Site Supporter
I want to improve on my motorcycle control, but I don't want to practice on my new and shiny Tracer.

What's a good/cheap bike that I could possible get for a couple thousand that I could practice on and not worry about dropping it?

Is getting a second bike for practice even a thing? I don't care about road legal/insurance as I live in a court that's got a huge cul-dec-sac where I can practice.

I want to improve on my motorcycle control, but I don't want to practice on my new and shiny Tracer.

What's a good/cheap bike that I could possible get for a couple thousand that I could practice on and not worry about dropping it?

Is getting a second bike for practice even a thing? I don't care about road legal/insurance as I live in a court that's got a huge cul-dec-sac where I can practice.
Dirt bike. If you are in the cul-de-sac and police happen to stop you on an uninsured bike there is a very good chance you will get your ass handed to you with thousands in tickets. On the upside, green plate insurance is cheap. Supermoto lets you lean more but probably ups the cost substantially.

Last edited:
I've a few times thought the same thing. Not so much for my Monster but for the bigger Thunderbird cruiser that's twice the weight.

I'd say get an old beater similar in size to the one you want to improve on.

If I had the space I'd have done it I think ... skip the collision & comprehensive insurance on it and can even get my GF or sons to perhaps learn on it. Something where if you dropped it you wouldn't care.

Dirt bike. If you are in the cul-de-sac and police happen to stop you on an uninsured bike there is a very good chance you will get you ass handed to you with thousands in tickets. On the upside, green plate insurance is cheap. Supermoto lets you lean more but probably ups the cost substantially.
THIS!

And even better.A trials bike will teach you more about control than anything else.

I've a few times thought the same thing. Not so much for my Monster but for the bigger Thunderbird cruiser that's twice the weight.

I'd say get an old beater similar in size to the one you want to improve on.

If I had the space I'd have done it I think ... skip the collision & comprehensive insurance on it and can even get my GF or sons to perhaps learn on it. Something where if you dropped it you wouldn't care.
Dropping street bikes gets expensive. They often break something. Dirtbikes expect to be dropped so they don't have sensors/wiring along the flanks and the levers and controls are designed to move if hit.

As for wingboys post, I was going to recommend a trials bike as it can teach you a ton about control but I'm not convinced the experience of standing on a light bike translates really well to sitting on a bike weighing more than double. That's why I was thinking dirt bike was a reasonable compromise.

I hear ya for new riders, a smaller bike makes sense.

With a big bike, crash bars in the right places and the fact that it's old and a beater is fine.

Go to Trail Tours east of the city or Clinton Smouts school north of the city. Cost Effective and you get to tryout what you learned (sitting down) without buying another bike.

Go to Trail Tours east of the city or Clinton Smouts school north of the city. Cost Effective and you get to tryout what you learned (sitting down) without buying another bike.
This is amazing, I had no idea something like this existed! Much better than spending a couple thousand on a bike!

There is also MotoPark in Chatsworth where my son learned to ride tho he did not race.
Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at May, 5    2024    12.01.14 AM.jpg
He went from a wimpy kid with not a lot of confidence ( type one diabetic ) to king of hill above in two years and then on to a very safe street rider for 10 years. Liked his speed and a better rider than me.
Dirt riding skills stick with you.
Motopark rents bikes and gear.
I'm a big fan of young riders or returning riders getting some dirt experience. Invaluable.

Back
Top Bottom