Searching for my first bike, Can't decide | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Searching for my first bike, Can't decide

Which Bike should be the top contender

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bought a bike today. It's a perfect fit. I am comfortable on it. It was not my first choice but I think it's a great pick and got a wonderful deal. I was lookin online at used and found that buying used was more expensive in general. I was finding ninjas at the $3,500 and up used.

I ended up choosing a brand new 2013 Suzuki gw250. I did not want black but that I can fix with a skin. The insurance was manageable considering the other expenses. I think it's a great first starter. Icould find actually riding the rest of the summer s d hating the entire concept. This gives me a great taste that is financially manageable. I am awaiting on my financing news otherwise I pict up around August 15 as then I am paying cash.

So I am excited.

Thanks everyone

The 2013 Suzuki gw250 sounds like a great starter bike. 28hp, 403lb, 250cc. It is light and will be easy to ride and learn.

Suited for riders small or tall, the upright seating position is roomy, and the stepped saddle is broad and well padded. Suzuki says seat height is 30.7 inches. A five-way span-adjustable brake lever should accommodate a wide range of hand sizes.

Buying used is hit and miss. As this is prime riding season sellers are looking for a premium.

Probably will be a great learner and at the price point a totally disposable choice. Ride it, drop it then pick it up and ride again. Being Chinese parts, replacements will not be killer to source.

Great choice. It's a good standard all-purpose motorcycle. You'll have lots of fun with it. Head out to some nice country roads away from the traffic and enjoy yourself.

I think that's why I like it. It won't hurt so much when I drop it. And next season I can trade it in if ready to do that.

I was finding that used would cost me more.

i could get very comfortable on this do my exit m test amid again move up. As much it's I liked the more expensive bikes it was a no brainer at this time. You have all really helped.

QUOTE=TorontoBoy;2329057]The 2013 Suzuki gw250 sounds like a great starter bike. 28hp, 403lb, 250cc. It is light and will be easy to ride and learn.

Buying used is hit and miss. As this is prime riding season sellers are looking for a premium.[/QUOTE]

Excellent choice.

GW250_BLK_L3.5.png

There is lowering kits but seems not so readily available. If it fits stock ....you're in gold.

Any reason why you're looking at all these new models for the first bike? I mean nothing wrong with that, but chances are that you'll still drop it. Personally, I'd buy a used first bike, then move onto a bigger/better/whatever in a couple of years, then I'd look at new. There are so many good used bikes - Ninja 250R, Honda CBR250, Suzuki GS500/GS500F, Ninja 500R, CBR125, etc.

Excellent choice.

GW250_BLK_L3.5.png

There is lowering kits but seems not so readily available. If it fits stock ....you're in gold.

There were a few GW250s at the M1X rider course I took at Niagara College last year. Of the bikes present (TU250X, CBR250, XT250, CRF250L), it seemed to be the most versatile, and the only one that was 'highway worthy'. One of the riders managed to boil the rear brake fluid, but - he was a new rider at a low speed training course... so, yeah.

I did look on line and at a few places for used. I found that this was a better way for me to go. Financially the better option. I also this way know O it history. I feel I made a good choice.

QUOTE=ViperZ;2329117]Any reason why you're looking at all these new models for the first bike? I mean nothing wrong with that, but chances are that you'll still drop it. Personally, I'd buy a used first bike, then move onto a bigger/better/whatever in a couple of years, then I'd look at new. There are so many good used bikes - Ninja 250R, Honda CBR250, Suzuki GS500/GS500F, Ninja 500R, CBR125, etc.[/QUOTE]

I feel i made a good choice
To ride motorcycles? Ya think?
Okay. Good luck with that...

I'm just not certain that little tiny women should wish to pilot motorcycles.
Might be 'politically incorrect' but I'm not afraid to suggest it!
Hopefully you are strong, lean and muscular - not at all soft and doughy.

You do know you can buy brand-new 2015 Nissan Micras (47 MPG) for only $9998?
Anyway, good luck, best wishes, and ride safe!

I did look on line and at a few places for used. I found that this was a better way for me to go. Financially the better option. I also this way know O it history. I feel I made a good choice.

QUOTE=ViperZ;2329117]Any reason why you're looking at all these new models for the first bike? I mean nothing wrong with that, but chances are that you'll still drop it. Personally, I'd buy a used first bike, then move onto a bigger/better/whatever in a couple of years, then I'd look at new. There are so many good used bikes - Ninja 250R, Honda CBR250, Suzuki GS500/GS500F, Ninja 500R, CBR125, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Better financially to buy new vs used. That tells me I've transported to a different dimension. You want new so just say that. A used beginner bike should be sold for the same price you bought it for so how is new better financially? Or are you just saying you like payments instead of a lump sum up front? Affordable that way yes, but financially much worse at the end of the day with the financing charge and depreciation hit on new.

Sorry, but these are facts.

As I searched online. I was finding used 3 grand and up. I was quite content to pay that but not one something that was an 08/09 10/12. Then I searched also new. I have spend a great deal of tim searching.

Better financially to buy new vs used. That tells me I've transported to a different dimension. You want new so just say that. A used beginner bike should be sold for the same price you bought it for so how is new better financially? Or are you just saying you like payments instead of a lump sum up front? Affordable that way yes, but financially much worse at the end of the day with the financing charge and depreciation hit on new.

Sorry, but these are facts.[/QUOTE]

Do you drive a mica? What makes you think I want a small car. Do all women have to have a small car? I drive a LARGE truck. I don't need an itty-bitty car. Love a males perception. Of what a women should and not drive

For your size the 250 may be along term bike and you might be able to get frame sliders and for sure you can get hand guards for it.
These prevent or limit damage on a low speed tip over.

Do get a seat lowering kit and get a dealer to put it on and adjust the suspension for it

Not sure what those parts are but I will do some research. I actually don't need to lower the seat. For my height or comfort. Is their another reason why I would. Would it be better to do that.

For your size the 250 may be along term bike and you might be able to get frame sliders and for sure you can get hand guards for it.
These prevent or limit damage on a low speed tip over.

Do get a seat lowering kit and get a dealer to put it on and adjust the suspension for it

To ride motorcycles? Ya think?
Okay. Good luck with that...

I'm just not certain that little tiny women should wish to pilot motorcycles.
Might be 'politically incorrect' but I'm not afraid to suggest it!
Hopefully you are strong, lean and muscular - not at all soft and doughy.

You do know you can buy brand-new 2015 Nissan Micras (47 MPG) for only $9998?
Anyway, good luck, best wishes, and ride safe!

I don't know the OP. Do you?

She came on here for help, and, to the best of our ability, we gave her help. It's her decision and money, not yours. If she changes her mind in the future, that's her business. And not all male riders are strong, lean and muscular, that is for sure.

As for your suggestion for a car, what??? When a newby asks, on a motorcycle forum, for help for her first bike and some joker suggests a small car, that is not helpful. Do you believe that your suggestion is helpful to a new rider?

Have have to take that with a gain of salt. Considering I may be on the shorter side. But I can kick the bigger guys out of the club the same way the guys can. I work as bouncer many weekends in the toronto clubs.

I don't know the OP. Do you?

She came on here for help, and, to the best of our ability, we gave her help. It's her decision and money, not yours. If she changes her mind in the future, that's her business. And not all male riders are strong, lean and muscular, that is for sure.

As for your suggestion for a car, what??? When a newby asks, on a motorcycle forum, for help for her first bike and some joker suggests a small car, that is not helpful. Do you believe that your suggestion is helpful to a new rider?

31" seat on that bike....what is your inseam??

Might be confusing you with another height challenged rider.

I lower my bikes....I have 30" inseam and my ride choices are 33 and 35". Yes you can ride successfully with one foot down.
Yes it's better to be able to flat foot as a new rider as there will be camber situations where you'll end up on one foot anyways, stopped on a slanted hill at an awkward angle and lower helps.

Good luck with your bike, your going to love riding around on your motorcycle when you get it. I hope you have some friends to ride around with sometimes, just be careful if you do that you don't let anyone on a bigger bike/more experience cause you to push your bike faster then your comfortable going around a corner... it can happen very easy if your following.

I think out of the poll choices I would have picked the R3, its to bad your choices are limited by your height. I sorta know how you feel, I'm not as short as you but at 5'5-5'6 I find anything over 32" seat height is pushing it for me... still lots to choose from but probably eliminates half the bikes I'v looked at, it helps if the seat can be lowered but lowering via the suspension can be dicey.

Not sure I agree with new being cheaper then used, that just doesn't make any sense really. But aslong as your choice works for you financially then its all good.

I didn't see if you mentioned if you took the course or not, but if you didn't I highly recommend it, my insurance company told me it would give me cheaper insurance but I'm not sure if thats true.

I did take a course. I took a as it it always something I wanted to do. I had not intended t actually enjoy it.

When When look online for used I was finding used I w finding more bike then I want to start with. I was not looking for a 500cc+. A this were running 3000$ plus. I also did not want to go to the early 90s. When I d find something that peaked my interest it was I felt w high. I am not see spending that kind of cash. I also looked at dealers and I see why they ask more but it is is feel right.

I was not looking my future bike. I wan my right now bike. I want to see what the future holds. There is still lots of riding season for me to just have fun. I know what I absolutely would love. But that's for the future.

Good luck with your bike, your going to love riding around on your motorcycle when you get it. I hope you have some friends to ride around with sometimes, just be careful if you do that you don't let anyone on a bigger bike/more experience cause you to push your bike faster then your comfortable going around a corner... it can happen very easy if your following.

I think out of the poll choices I would have picked the R3, its to bad your choices are limited by your height. I sorta know how you feel, I'm not as short as you but at 5'5-5'6 I find anything over 32" seat height is pushing it for me... still lots to choose from but probably eliminates half the bikes I'v looked at, it helps if the seat can be lowered but lowering via the suspension can be dicey.

Not sure I agree with new being cheaper then used, that just doesn't make any sense really. But aslong as your choice works for you financially then its all good.

I didn't see if you mentioned if you took the course or not, but if you didn't I highly recommend it, my insurance company told me it would give me cheaper insurance but I'm not sure if thats true.

Back
Top Bottom