Seal Installation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Seal Installation

timtune

Site Supporter
When installing any kind of oil seal the lip on the inner diameter always goes to the wet side (oil) so any in pressure helps it seal, correct?

What seal are we talking about? Normally I would say yes but double lip seals are common (eg fork seals) so the spring goes towards oil and less good lip seal goes towards dirt.

Sometimes the dust seal has a spring on the outside.

There is only one failsafe rule that always works for seals - follow the service manual.

If you don’t have one, the next best option is to reference the old seal by photographing as you remove it.

There is only one failsafe rule that always works for seals - follow the service manual.

If you don’t have one, the next best option is to reference the old seal by photographing as you remove it.
Unless, of course, you're working on a Yamaha RD or DT or TZ where the Yamaha service manual (that got copied to Haynes manual) clearly shows the two lip main seal, mounted bass ackward

Unless, of course, you're working on a Yamaha RD or DT or TZ where the Yamaha service manual (that got copied to Haynes manual) clearly shows the two lip main seal, mounted bass ackward
You got me there! Ouch.

Except when they were installed backwards from the Aprilia factory...

Don’t forget to put grease all around the spring so it don’t pop out of the area where it seats when you’re installing the seal

I’ve installed thousands of seals in my time,

Yes the spring will pop out of the seal if not pressed in, if you hit it with a hammer and seal driver.

So putting grease around the spring holds it into place

Like pack it into the "wet" side of the seal?

Back
Top Bottom