Scraping?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scraping??

alb

I am a new rider and I saw something yesterday and I am looking for an explanation of what and why?

I was coming off the 401 yesterday in my..ahem..minivan. A cruiser style motor bike blew past me on the ramp. As he took the very slight curve sparks flew from his right peg (note not a cloverleaf style ramp but one of those straight off). Now I understand here that he scraped the peg. But then he continues down the ramp and does it again, only this time something else towards the rear also caught.

WTH. Surely he is damaging the bike. I mean I can understand the first time but why the second time? And what is the long term damage going on here. Also if the guy cannot take a gentle ramp is the bike not just a little low?

Just asking.

Who cares, its just pegs or exhaust. When you get confident/skilled enough you'll do the same.

yup. Because they can.

Who cares, its just pegs or exhaust. When you get confident/skilled enough you'll do the same.

Well I ride BMW F650 so I hope not or I have other issues. :p

Ya I sort of got my answer. Its not like he leaned the bike way over <shrug> <yawn>. I am sure someone was impressed. :confused:

Clearly it made enough of an impression on you to post this thread.

Whats it to you, anyway? Ride your own ride...

Cruisers don't generally have a lot of ground clearance and if you go at a spirited pace, it touches down... all it means is that the guy is riding his bike to its capabilities.

Well, they're called cruisers for a reason.. :-D

A lotta people lower their rides too even though cruisers already have low seat heights...

Has anyone intentionally put on longer feelers on the foot pegs just for the spark show? It wouldn't be hard and I could see people that like to attract attention to themselves doing it.

Hammer Down and let the sparks land where they may! And when you start dragging hard parts get better form to keep them off the ground!

_2804316116.jpg

cruisers have low ground clearance...when I was at RTI, our instructor took a cruiser and went through a slalom course ....we could hear both the left and the right pegs scrape all over the parking lot...he came back and said ,"now you guys will go over this course as well" . I was on a cbr 125...funny , I couldn't scrape a single peg....

It's more about the bike's poor ground clearance than the rider skillfully putting the bike over hard. A sport bike will not grind anything until the bike is about to slide out but some cruisers if you take it much past vertical you're grinding.

Know what the difference between "scraping" and "scrapping" is? p.

Back
Top Bottom