Scorpion Helmets | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scorpion Helmets

-Maverick-

Jar head or round head? Looking into the R1 Carbon and don't want that squished cheek / face thing going on. Anyone own one?

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Not sure about shapes, but here is my practical experience.

Shoei RF1200 Size L fitted me perfectly out of the box, rode days at a time in it - never any issue, like it's not even there, so comfortable..

Bought Scorpion AT950 in August - first month had bad pressure points on my head both sides after 3-4hrs of riding. Also as you mentioned there is way more cheek/face pressure, but not a big deal for me. Was thinking to return but got too busy with work so missed the window... Now it seems it got "broken in" a bit, don't feel pressure points anymore for half a day of riding.. And I checked - you can't order smaller head pads for it as shells are S-M and L-XL, so pads in L are the smaller ones for that shell size and pads from S-M won't fit into L...

So shape definitely is different than Shoei and I am done experimenting - only Shoei from now on for me.

Thanks, just what I thought. I could see STW's woman's face when she puts the Scorpion Carbon on...and her cheeks as well. She's clearly round to oval head, not oval or intermediate oval. Watch her face / reaction when she tries it on. She comes from Shoei as well:

I bought a non-carbon version of the R1 this year for track use, and can really only compare it to my other helmets, both of which are Shark.

Both the Sharks and Scorpion I bought in Large, which both companies say fit a 59-60 cm head. Both Sharks, but especially the Race-R Pro, give me way more chipmunk cheek than the Scorpion, but the Scorpion was way tighter on a few spots on my head (though this could be because the liner is noticeably less plush). I was worried about potential hotspots with the Scorpion, but I never noticied it on the track, maybe because I never wore the helmet for longer than about 25 minutes at a stretch (track days only, no endurance racing!). Keep in mind the R1 is primarily a track helmet, so will likely have thicker face padding than a more street helmet.

(As an aside, I did crash in the Scorpion - low speed lowside - and hit it hard enough to crush the shell in on the top left. It did its job, though, as I didn't even know I hit my head until someone pointed out the damage, and I had no symptoms of anything even remotely concussion related. Considering you can get the lighter ones from Europe for about $400 online, I've already ordered another one...)

I bought a non-carbon version of the R1 this year for track use, and can really only compare it to my other helmets, both of which are Shark.

Both the Sharks and Scorpion I bought in Large, which both companies say fit a 59-60 cm head. Both Sharks, but especially the Race-R Pro, give me way more chipmunk cheek than the Scorpion, but the Scorpion was way tighter on a few spots on my head (though this could be because the liner is noticeably less plush). I was worried about potential hotspots with the Scorpion, but I never noticied it on the track, maybe because I never wore the helmet for longer than about 25 minutes at a stretch (track days only, no endurance racing!). Keep in mind the R1 is primarily a track helmet, so will likely have thicker face padding than a more street helmet.

(As an aside, I did crash in the Scorpion - low speed lowside - and hit it hard enough to crush the shell in on the top left. It did its job, though, as I didn't even know I hit my head until someone pointed out the damage, and I had no symptoms of anything even remotely concussion related. Considering you can get the lighter ones from Europe for about $400 online, I've already ordered another one...)
Glad to hear it saved your head. I had the same issue with Shark helmets as Scorpion...maybe they're made on the same assembly line?

I was also looking at the Scorpion EXO-AT950 for my supermoto. Couldn't find one to try on but the main complaint in the reviews is severe chipmunk cheeks.

Going to have to stick with what works for my head shape. Shoei.

My Akuma recently died and it fit like a glove. They don't make them anymore. It's the best feeling when you don't notice you're wearing your helmet.

Glad to hear it saved your head. I had the same issue with Shark helmets as Scorpion...maybe they're made on the same assembly line?
To be clear, they fit very differently on my head. The Race-R Pro is very tight on my face but comfy around the crown while the Scorpion is less restrictive in the face but much tighter in spots around the crown. My Shark Spartan GT Carbon is my goldilocks helmet that just fits.

The Sharks are also made in either France or (I think) Thailand, while the Scorpions are all made in China...

I was also looking at the Scorpion EXO-AT950 for my supermoto. Couldn't find one to try on but the main complaint in the reviews is severe chipmunk cheeks.
The lack of stock is such a pain. I couldn't find anyone with a non-carbon R1 in my size (GP had a carbon, but not in the colour I wanted), and if I ordered one, all local shops I spoke with said there would be no returns allowed.

Going to have to stick with what works for my head shape. Shoei.
If it ain't broke...

They make great helmets. I was inches away from pulling the trigger on an X-Fourteen, but cheaped out and went with the Scorpion instead.

My Akuma recently died and it fit like a glove. They don't make them anymore. It's the best feeling when you don't notice you're wearing your helmet.
That's my Shark Spartan for me. They've since updated it, and I'm hoping they haven't changed the liner shape...

Back
Top Bottom