Scorpio alarm for SS parking condo/apt building | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scorpio alarm for SS parking condo/apt building

Phalanx

so friend of mine lives in a building and wants to park his SS bike underground. I told him its about 99% guarantee it'll get stolen.

if someone has a SS and parks condo parking or apt building, but it has scorpio alarm i'm guessing it can still be stolen by professional thieves? but avg thief will not be able to? would it be easy for them ?

anyone have experience or know of a bike tht was stolen even with the scorpio alarm
what do you guys think?

Make sure he has theft insurance. Most condo bike thefts involve dragging the bike into the back of a stolen van. No alarm does anything to slow this down.

GPS and/or cell jammers are pretty easy to buy. I'm not sure how many thieves are actually using them.

Property crime is near the bottom of the police priority list, especially if it puts officers lives in danger. Even if you have a GPS tracker on the bike, expect to file a report and get an insurance cheque.

it will just be an annoyance - honestly, who looks around when car alarms go off these days? The thieves will simply pull it into the van in 10 seconds, and deal with the siren in there until someone rips it out or disconnects the battery.

First line of defence is get theft insurance, next all they can do is make it as difficult as possible which really just means the bad guys just steal an easier bike.

Alarm
Generic Cover
Big Lock(s), hopefully locked to something.
A parking spot where it is hard to drag to a minivan or where they feel quick exit could be a problem (like at the end of a dead end in the garage).
Older less appealing SS (or not SS at all), but if they already have the bike...

All the above can be defeated but the thieves will gravitate to easiest with best reward, they almost always will go for a better score that is easy vs difficult with low reward. Really nice bike that is easy to steal vs crappy bike that is hard.

Hyosung cover
I wonder...if someone with a Hyosung would use say a Ducati cover in the hopes it did get stolen?

Or would the thief lift it and think LIES!! ALL LIES!! and put the cover back on? That would be the ultimate catfish lol

Your average gps tracker can be bought with a 1 year data plan for the same price as a crappy alarm. Most can be hardwired and all come with some type of battery. Most trackers have a slew of features like vibration alerts, geo fencing and or displacement triggers that can notify you via sms or application.

It will be to late if the tracker is notifying you, but the recovery rate is pretty high with trackers.

If you really want to cheap out, get an old cell phone that has gps and get a pay as you go data plan, $10 a month. Throw it in the bike somewhere or stash it with a quality Velcro somewhere. You won’t get the notifications ( there might be applications for this but IDK) but you can ping the phone and get a radius if you find your bike gone. FYI the GPS won’t work in the UG but the cell service will send data until the bike is outside, if it moves.

I know a few guys that have had their bikes recovered by having a tracker. The bikes didn’t return unscathed as it was in a van on its side but the non-claim on insurance was worth the recovery.

For the shear level of features I’d go with a GPS tracker. The ones I’ve seen that are domestic, range from $18-25 a month Depending on duration of the data plan.

Back
Top Bottom