Scooter, no owner or ownership | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scooter, no owner or ownership

killvino

I was given a Honda Jazz scooter a year ago from an acquaintance, he had received it as a payment from a friend that had won it from a Honda Contest. He did also receive papers or something with it to get it registered. Both guys did not have an M license and never ended up registering the thing.
Problem is that that original winner has moved back to Hong Kong and they can't be reached. I do not even know which Honda dealer or where this contest was from.

I went to the MTO to get a UVIP to try and find the actual owner of the bike with VIN and it has never been registered. I brought a bill of sale signed from my acquaintance as I thought this would be sufficient with some light googling.

Does anyone know how to get this registered under my name? Is this even possible?

I'd have thought the MTO office would be the place to ask that. Or are they saying it's impossible and you're looking for a workaround?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I agree, the people at Service Ontario, should have advised you as to exactly what you need to register the vehicle.

You can also contact the regional MTO office, (located in Kingston), to ascertain, what is required for it to be registered.

Contact Honda Canada customer service, if its never been registered with them maybe they will provide a new NVIS.

Contact Honda Canada customer service, if its never been registered with them maybe they will provide a new NVIS.
That's what I would do. At the very least, they can trace which dealer it came through. I find it odd though that the dealer would just give it someone without registering it. It would technically still be in the dealers name, and that would show up on the UVIP.

That's what I would do. At the very least, they can trace which dealer it came through. I find it odd though that the dealer would just give it someone without registering it. It would technically still be in the dealers name, and that would show up on the UVIP.
If its never been registered, there won't be a UVIP. That only applies to used vehicles. A brand new, never registered machine must have a NVIS which is provided by the manufacturer.

If its never been registered, there won't be a UVIP. That only applies to used vehicles. A brand new, never registered machine must have a NVIS which is provided by the manufacturer.
I assumed it would show because any UVIP or carfax I've gotten had shown the dealership(s) it's gone through. You're right, it would only show just the dealership once the vehicle is registered as a demo or "preregistered" by the dealer.

So let's say that the dealer just gave the nvis to the prize winner without registering it (you don't need a license to own a vehicle, just to have it plated so I don't understand why the dealership wouldn't have registered it to the original person unplated) the dealership would have still rdr'd the vehicle to the person taking it. That person would have to go to the MTO with the nvis and bill of sale to register it. I don't think you can just hand it off to someone else. I could be wrong, there might be some forms and process I'm unaware of to do it, but it's a question service ontario should be able to answer.

I tried this for my crf450 that has never been registered. Honda canada told me the nvis is provided to the first owner (who never got an ownership for it) and they couldn't provide me with one... then they asked me for a copy of the ownership so they could list me as the current owner... lol...

That was the whole point of me inqiring about the NVIS...

I have to try the affidavit route next. Signed dated, stating there is no lein, and stamped by a commissioner at an mto office...

I assume it will be similar for the OP.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I tried this for my crf450 that has never been registered. Honda canada told me the nvis is provided to the first owner (who never got an ownership for it) and they couldn't provide me with one... then they asked me for a copy of the ownership so they could list me as the current owner... lol...

That was the whole point of me inqiring about the NVIS...

I have to try the affidavit route next. Signed dated, stating there is no lein, and stamped by a commissioner at an mto office...

I assume it will be similar for the OP.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Yes, sorry forgot to clarify. I had went to the MTO earlier this year and forgot that this is what they told me: NVIS or pound dirt.
I tried contacting the dealer where he supposedly won it from but they have no record.
They also insisted they wouldn't have let a vehicle leave without being registered.

I have not yet tried to contact Honda Canada but I can see it going the same way as well, especially since I cannot contact the first owner/winner.

CRF450 seems more worth the trouble than a jazz though lol

Thanks for the replies

Yes, sorry forgot to clarify. I had went to the MTO earlier this year and forgot that this is what they told me: NVIS or pound dirt.
I tried contacting the dealer where he supposedly won it from but they have no record.
They also insisted they wouldn't have let a vehicle leave without being registered.

I have not yet tried to contact Honda Canada but I can see it going the same way as well, especially since I cannot contact the first owner/winner.

CRF450 seems more worth the trouble than a jazz though lol

Thanks for the replies
Track bike? Is there a class for scooters?

I just went through this exact same scenario with success, as outlined above. Message me and I will walk you through it, if you still want to. Totally doable.

I had a dirt bike registered with nothing but my word and a picture of the VIN on the frame. I did get a NVIS from KTM, but Service Ontario didn't care about it. Now, if Service Ontario told you need it, then I don't see how Honda can't (or won't) get it for you. You'll need to sign an affidavit stating that you're in possession of it and the legal owner.

For me, when I went in to Service Ontario, I wasn't leaving without them telling me exactly what I needed. The girl wasn't into helping me at first, but I wasn't leaving. She ended up calling someone on the phone higher up, and they had her do an affidavit with me and do a little swearing in oath thing. She entered right into the system and 45mins later I walked out with an ownership.

Don't forget, it's their job. Don't leave without them doing it. They need to do what you need.

Back
Top Bottom