Scooter mechanic Recommendation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scooter mechanic Recommendation

slowess

I am 90%+ happy with my C650GT, but want a bit more acceleration.
Looking for a shop that is "Scooter Friendly"

I've been to places where when I mention its a "scooter" they basically turn their head and say "we don't work on those"

So, Any recommendations? (looking for performance upgrades, possibly variator / dr pulley / clutch upgrade)

had to read a bit
that BMW scooter weighs 575 lbs
60 HP and has a CVT drive

it weighs the same as a loaded GSA
but has half the HP

neat looking machine
but with those specs it's not gonna be zippy

so your looking to modify the CVT ratios to get more zip?

Last edited:
I have a strong suspicion that all maintenance beyond the basics (oil changes, tires etc) will be BMW dealer only and that there is very little, if any, aftermarket support. Maybe I'm wrong.

The bikes design does not lend well to performance upgrades, doesn't even appear that you can alter the final drive sprocket size. They use helicoidal gears inside the transmission and anti-vibration counter-balance weights which is costing you a tiny bit of power in the name of reduced vibration. I think you are limited to the acceleration you are already experiencing.
Is just like a snowmobile, keep the rubber drive belt in good condition and that's about the best you can do.
17-C650-engine.jpg

There's no magic here. You might be able to play with ratios a bit, but without a bunch more power I wouldn't expect it to really wake up. I would be surprised if there were ready made kits for that bike, but given enough time, money and effort, a turbo would make a big difference (although you will likely be in uncharted waters and exceed the capacity of something in the drivetrain).

I don't know if it is possible, but the simplest solution is reducing the tire size. That will give you more acceleration at the expense of higher revs at speed and less ground clearance.

PS. Thanks for the pic Trials.

Last edited:
wow thanks guys for the input.
For scooters Variator / slider is appears to be the most effective upgrade.
I had a TMAX before and just changing the sliders, it helped with acceleration by changing the point at which they engage

I am not looking to get crazy acceleration, just a bit more responsive experience

Recommend you inquire with BMW if they offer a smaller countershaft sprocket and or larger rear, that will give you better acceleration at the cost of top speed. You can probably alter the way the clutch engages but all that is going to really do is let the engine rev up more before the clutch engages, would lend to more abrupt takeoffs and possible be harder on the belt, that's how it worked on snowmobiles.

I rode a small Bergman home for a lady who bought it at a dealership, she didn't want to make the maiden voyage her last ride. It was a heavy slug on tiny wheels. Terrible on speed bumps and she had a lots of awesome speed bumps on her road :| honestly the scariest bike I ever rode in traffic.
... Nitrous oxide ;) no wait that's illegal.

Last edited:
I have a funny feeling that with the CVT, it will just adjust the CVT ratio to whatever it wants to be depending on your throttle position, compensating/offsetting any "reasonable" change in final drive ratio. It might affect takeoff from a stop (when the CVT is at the lowest possible drive ratio) and it might affect high speed cruising (when the CVT is at the highest possible drive ratio).

With snowmobiles you mess with the mechanism that controls the CVT to get the engine into a different operating RPM range. But I have a funny feeling that BMW knew what they were doing when they designed the stock CVT ratio controls, and matched that to the stock engine's characteristics, which means that messing with it will probably not have any benefit. And, knowing BMW, messing it would probably put it in limp-home mode with a crapload of fault codes and the "check engine" lamp lit ...

This isn't a vehicle designed for high performance.

Back
Top Bottom