Saw a distracted driver get caught today. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Saw a distracted driver get caught today.

sburns

Out doing some errands and saw a driver get caught it was kinda weird.

I pull up to a stopped intersection and this generic looking Ford Explorer does a uTurn from the opposite lane and pulls up behind me. I take a closer look in my rear view, and start noticing stuff in their windows like camera gear etc. The vehicle is completely unmarked. The driver is wearing a reflective vest though. So I wonder what's up, driver parks, pops out and for a moment I thought they were coming up to me, but goes to this other car next to me in the left turn lane, (phew!!), holding a camera system and starts talking with the driver while filming them. Proceeds to ask for driver's license and registration and phone type? Repeated that several times.

Anyhow it was all very strange, but at least Toronto is trying to do someting about distracted driving and phone users.

Out doing some errands and saw a driver get caught it was kinda weird.

I pull up to a stopped intersection and this generic looking Ford Explorer does a uTurn from the opposite lane and pulls up behind me. I take a closer look in my rear view, and start noticing stuff in their windows like camera gear etc. The vehicle is completely unmarked. The driver is wearing a reflective vest though. So I wonder what's up, driver parks, pops out and for a moment I thought they were coming up to me, but goes to this other car next to me in the left turn lane, (phew!!), holding a camera system and starts talking with the driver while filming them. Proceeds to ask for driver's license and registration and phone type? Repeated that several times.

Anyhow it was all very strange, but at least Toronto is trying to do someting about distracted driving and phone users.
I'm ashamed to admit I got busted for using a phone in BC about 7 or 8 years ago. Was running late for a meeting, and phone buzzed a few times while I was on the highway. I waited until I got off the highway, and was waiting to turn left at a red light. I pick up my phone just to see if the messages are related to me being late (I swear!), and the homeless guy panhandling next to me unfolds his cardboard sign that said 'Please help' to reveal another sign inside that said, "Police, please open your window". At first I thought it was a joke or some bizarre carjacking, but a closer look revealed the guy actually was a cop with a ragged jacket and toque on to cover his uniform. He radios and directs me to his colleague in a nearby lot where I was handed a fat fine.

I've also seen them stand in parked buses with ads on the windows to look down on cars stopped at lights, as well as simply walking a loop through an adjacent parking lot, walking up on the stopped cars from behind and looking in the windows. While I think getting people stopped at lights isn't the ideal time, it's still better than nothing. And far better than speed traps at the bottom of steep hills or the ends of passing zones...

the homeless guy panhandling next to me unfolds his cardboard sign that said 'Please help' to reveal another sign inside that said, "Police, please open your window". At first I thought it was a joke or some bizarre carjacking, but a closer look revealed the guy actually was a cop with a ragged jacket and toque on to cover his uniform. He radios and directs me to his colleague in a nearby lot where I was handed a fat fine.
Maaaan, that is ******* craaazy

Maaaan, that is ******* craaazy

As much as I wanted to argue about how unfair it was that I was being punished for waiting until I was stopped to look, I have to admit that it did have a positive effect on me checking my phone much less often while driving, which I used to do more than I care to admit (always had the "I'm so busy and important while I run around for work!" excuse, along with the "I just peek for a quick second!" line handy.)

I think they're starting something similar here, but they were also clever with using old beaters as ghost cars there. Had to do a triple-take when I saw someone pulled over by a Dodge Cirrus or a '90s Explorer.

You have to admire the ingenuity...

Driving through stouffville today, had a guy pull out of a left turning lane in front of me, then swerve and cut off a black pickup beside me and literally stop in the live lane to look at some condo sale sign. Drove past him shaking my head and noticed flashing red and blues... the pickup was an unmarked cop car... had a good chuckle as i saw the cop jump out of the truck as i continued on my way.

Must be great for driving in the dark :rolleyes:
Wait, you don't ride at night with your sunglasses on? Pfft amateur

In Australia, tinted front window or anything like a sticker that inhibits your view is an unroadworthy vehicle ticket by the very first cop you drive past... points off your license and has to be remedied within a certain amount of time and taken to a police station for proof.

In Australia, tinted front window or anything like a sticker that inhibits your view is an unroadworthy vehicle ticket by the very first cop you drive past... points off your license and has to be remedied within a certain amount of time and taken to a police station for proof.

Not just Australia. Similar law in Canada, just seems to be treated like license plate covers and missing front license plates.

Driving through stouffville today, had a guy pull out of a left turning lane in front of me, then swerve and cut off a black pickup beside me and literally stop in the live lane to look at some condo sale sign. Drove past him shaking my head and noticed flashing red and blues... the pickup was an unmarked cop car... had a good chuckle as i saw the cop jump out of the truck as i continued on my way.
Stouffville getting like Brampton, zippy little fartcans weaving thru traffic, running reds and stop signs is a frequent observation. Not just dumbass punks, drivers of all ages.

Markham is scary, but not all that dangerous. In experience and a mix of Canadian and Chinese driving norms.

I get a taste of both every day

A few years ago I observed a cop dressed like a construction worker, hard hat and all in an active highway resurfacing construction site.
he seemed to be busy handing out plenty of tickets.

Back
Top Bottom