same model 2012 vs 2015? | GTAMotorcycle.com

same model 2012 vs 2015?

charlieman1987

Hello everyone,

New rider here.
So I've been shopping around for a while, now I am kind of ready to seriously negotiate the price with the seller.
There are two bikes I am interested in, they are the same brand, same model and same generation, both are between 5K-7K mileage, and their price are similar too...
The difference are, one bike is 2012 and another one 2015, I prefer the color of the 2012 one. So should the 2012 bike depreciate more than the 2015 bike even though they have same mileage? If yes how much the difference? And is the 2015 bike supposed to run better than the 2012 one?

The bike is Triumph Daytona 675r

Thanks!

Last edited:
Really helps if we know the bike you are talking about. Cannot even comment about about which one is better without knowing what you are talking about.

Personally I would not buy a bike thinking about depreciation. Get a bike you will enjoy riding and enjoy it till you are ready to move on to something else. I would say in most cases buy the newest bike you can afford.

like JC says
specific bike needs to be known to comment if a 15 has any advantages over a 12

generally a 12 with same mileage as a 15 should have more depreciation out of it
but that can depend on condition and extra equipment etc

Really helps if we know the bike you are talking about. Cannot even comment about about which one is better without knowing what you are talking about.

Personally I would not buy a bike thinking about depreciation. Get a bike you will enjoy riding and enjoy it till you are ready to move on to something else. I would say in most cases buy the newest bike you can afford.
Sorry for not making it clear, it's triumph daytona 675r

like JC says
specific bike needs to be known to comment if a 15 has any advantages over a 12

generally a 12 with same mileage as a 15 should have more depreciation out of it
but that can depend on condition and extra equipment etc
it's daytona 675r, they are both pretty standard stock

Check insurance first. A 675 as a first bike will probably be horrendously expensive.

There should be a price difference between the two bikes, if not, why? Dont worry too much about depreciation at this point.buying used avoids the worst of it.

If the bike is basically the same I would go with the new one unless colour is really that important to you. They may be the same generation but most likely they have done little tweaks and fixes of issues as the years have gone on.

Both ABS? Fuel management changed? Braking/suspension components the same brand? Does one have a steering damper?

Things that can happen over the years due to cost savings or equipment/supplier issues. You need to do some homework. Don’t assume the later model has the better components, they may have become more expensive later on and were better quality earlier.

Braking and suspension are the most important as you’ll notice the benefits/issues every day you ride. An example would be changing brakes from Nissin to Brembo or vice versa.

I Think the 2015 R may have a slipper clutch that the 2012 didnt, and possibly better mapping. The R is more track oriented the the SE , if you havent check insureance costs, it may be unpleasant

My current triumph has the big pot Nissin calipers, the last Ducati here had Brembo. For what its worth I notice no significant quality difference in braking, until I went to aftermarket pads, which were better than either OEM sets, but both would out perform my capabilities.

Check insurance first. A 675 as a first bike will probably be horrendously expensive.

There should be a price difference between the two bikes, if not, why? Dont worry too much about depreciation at this point.buying used avoids the worst of it.
Thanks for the heads up. I was actually quoted with 1200 a year which I thought not too bad.

I wouldn't worry the depreciation after owning it, I am wondering should I negotiate harder with the older one.

Both ABS? Fuel management changed? Braking/suspension components the same brand? Does one have a steering damper?

Things that can happen over the years due to cost savings or equipment/supplier issues. You need to do some homework. Don’t assume the later model has the better components, they may have become more expensive later on and were better quality earlier.
They are some model and some generation, just produced in difference years. Yes both abs, same braking and suspension, no modification all standard stock. I checked the specifications for this bike of 2012 and 2015, there was no change or upgrade.

I Think the 2015 R may have a slipper clutch that the 2012 didnt, and possibly better mapping. The R is more track oriented the the SE , if you havent check insureance costs, it may be unpleasant
That's very useful info, I will look into the clutch and see what people say about the later one's mapping results.

My current triumph has the big pot Nissin calipers, the last Ducati here had Brembo. For what its worth I notice no significant quality difference in braking, until I went to aftermarket pads, which were better than either OEM sets, but both would out perform my capabilities.
DO you think the difference very noticeable between the Nissin and Brembo front brake? I also see a good deal on 2014 Daytona 675 (not r version), it's a nissin front brake vs 675r's brembo front brake.

I did, yes it is expensive but I think I can live with it ? ?
$1200 is not expensive for bike insurance. I would be amazed if you pay that little for your first year riding on a 675. Many, many times, quotes have been revised once underwriters took a look. Honestly, assuming you are a new rider on a 675 that is <35 years old and in the GTA, I expect four times that for insurance. I'd be surprised if you got a $1200 insurance policy on a 250. My guess is either something is either very different about your profile or the agent messed up.

Back
Top Bottom