Safety check | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety check

1 mirror is required to be legal, the rest is up to a mechanic.

If you want a friendly mechanic for a safety ask Rosey Toes. He's usually willing to travel to your location as well.

Whether it passes or not, I would think that it would be a necessary piece of equipment for street riding, no?

I would argue that you don't want a safety. You want a mechanic to go over your bike and make sure it is safe to ride. Sadly, those are not always the same thing. Do you need a safety certificate for the MTO? If not, it's just an expensive piece of paper, I wouldn't pay the money to get the paper signed.

A lot depends on how old it is. As a general rule, all safety related items it came with when new must be there and in working order. If it never came from the factory with turn signals, or a front brake lamp switch for instance, you're off the hook.

I agree that I believe only 1 mirror is technically required, but I wouldn't want it to be the left one...that's the important one.

Is there a reason you can't just buy a replacement and attach it? Unless it's some really obscure bike it shouldn't be difficult to find.

Was pleasantly surprised to learn that a OEM mirror for a 2017 Honda rebel only costs $10. My aftermarket steering stem cap was more expensive.

1 mirror is required to be legal, the rest is up to a mechanic.

If you want a friendly mechanic for a safety ask Rosey Toes. He's usually willing to travel to your location as well.
I don't think Ted has time for travelling to do safety anymore. Does anyone know someone mobile that does motorcycle safety?

It's unclear why the original poster "needs" a "safety check" (whatever that is).

The only time you legally "need" a "safety standards certificate" - i.e. the piece of paper signed by a qualified mechanic stating that the vehicle conforms to certain requirements - is if someone is transferring ownership (buying or selling) a used vehicle ... or if someone has had the misfortune of being pulled over by the police or MTO and they order an inspection to be done on the grounds of suspecting an unsafe vehicle.

If that is the situation then the inspection has to be done by an authorised mechanic who is licensed to do this inspection and it has to be done at that mechanic's place of business. Period. Full stop. They cannot legally travel to wherever you are and legitimately do this (MTO roadside inspections aside). You have to bring the vehicle there. (I will NOT comment upon any rumours concerning it actually being done otherwise.)

Now, if the original poster simply wants a general inspection of the bike for their own purposes, for their own peace of mind, and they don't need that official piece of paper, that is a WHOLE different ball game. They just need someone who knows about bikes to give it a going-over. Doesn't even necessarily have to be a licensed mechanic. If the original poster would give the rest of us an idea about their location and perhaps what the bike is, perhaps someone on this forum might even volunteer to do it if the original poster supplies coffee.

When riding in traffic, I would not want to have just one mirror. I want both. This is not a matter of legal requirements ... I want a proper rear view.

When riding in traffic, I would not want to have just one mirror. I want both. This is not a matter of legal requirements ... I want a proper rear view.
Are the mirrors on your sport bikes stock? :unsure:;)

Back
Top Bottom