Saddlebag supports | GTAMotorcycle.com

Saddlebag supports

ifiddles

so hubby and I made these saddlebag supports yesterday from a long piece of pre-drilled flat bar...I will be painting it black, so it will be coming off...we took it out yesterday and even in that horrendous wind, the bags didn't move or anything...

anyways, I posted the pics on Facebook and someone keeps saying "be warned, don't ride that bike", but he won't expand or explain on why he's warning me...

the flat bar is secured by two bolts on each side to the piece that is located behind where the passenger peg would be in it's upright position (no idea what it's called)...are we missing something?...can anyone see and give constructive feedback on why this individual would be giving me a warning?...maybe he's just trying to play head games with me, and if so, that's a &*() thing to do...

sorry if the picture is not great, I had to resize it in order to upload it here...

TIA

Attachments

• 3 resized.jpg
    3 resized.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 55
I believe that portion of the tail is 100% plastic?
if it breaks you would have a mess of stuff into the rear wheel
not that your bar is weight bearing, but it could be pushed sideways into the rear tire
personally I wouldn't do it that way

pannier supports are usually mounted to the rear subframe - metal component

I am not engineer but I do not see much wrong with that as a quick temp solution.

The only think I would question is the tail piece of the bike. Is it sturdy? Made of metal or plastic? I think all or most tail pieces on bikes are made of plastic. As soon as you add the saddle bags and the weight of the contents inside, it could become very flimsy.
What if you accidentally drop the bike in the parking lot on a long trip? That would probably just destroy the plastic tail piece.

I had a similar thing done on my 2000 R6 when I took it out to the East Coast.
I had it bent out of 1/2 inch Electrical EMT conduit. Very Sturdy and rust proof.

I would prefer the EMT conduit as it is a cylindrical pipe and not a flat bar. It is more rigid and not as (not at all) flimsy/flexible as a flat bar.

Mine was bent in the shape of a U. Going from one passenger foot peg towards the back and to foot peg to the other side. I actually removed the foot pegs themselves and placed the pipe in there as the 1/2 size was a good fit with an additional washer.

@ oioioi that's the shape mine is in...a U from one passenger foot peg to the other...it's under the tail, not touching at all (although I was thinking of possibly putting some quick zips from it to the support)...the OEM piece from Yamaha uses the same tie in point, but it's just a tubular piece of steel that sticks out...

@ J_F the tail section is plastic, but it's not attached to it at all...

here are a few more pictures...

Attachments

• 4 resized.jpg
    4 resized.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 5 resized.jpg
    5 resized.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 6 resized.jpg
    6 resized.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 34
So for the reasons that you mentioned I would also not use it in its current form.

Flat bar would be too easy to bend and flex.

If you give me the dimensions I can have an EMT pipe made up from you. Space between the pegs, length of the piece of the piece.

I would think that it would be much better and sturdier option.

I would eliminate the threaded spaces you have between the foot pegs and the flat bar.
Attach the flat bar or what ever material to the foot pegs. This will provide a better mounting and also should spread the saddlebag support wider.

You probably want the saddle bag support as wide as possible keeping the bags away from the tire as much as possible.

Not a very good picture but it gives you the idea.

1585592590153.png

You know better then anyone how much weight you will need to put in the bags, if you want to make them stronger, just add a strap over the saddle from one bag to the other, that will reduce the load on the metal bracket almost completely.

@Trials there is a strap under my seat that goes from one bag to the other...there's another strap that I couldn't get it to fit (rear seat too small) so I looped it under the tail section as there was a space to slide them through...

@oioioi I personally didn't want the spacers, but hubby kind of insisted...and I originally wanted to use PVC pipe (showed him one I found online) but he didn't like it...I'm not that mechanically inclined so I went with his suggestions...however, I do appreciate everyone's input...thanks guys...seems like maybe my original ideas were better :D

Although pvc is easy to work with, I don’t think it’s much a a structural material.

Last edited:
Won't the bar flex in, from one side to the other, and possibly hit the tire, when you're leaned into a corner?

@J_F I looked at that, but there's not place to fasten the top of the support

@FLSTC I don't think so...I only weigh 108 lbs and I'm not planning on carrying anything heavy, but then again, I'm not 100% certain

@Baggsy hopefully not, again, not planning on carrying anything too heavy, but not 100% certain...

thanks guys...

I believe you would need to buy an additional mounting kit for the one that J-F suggested.

56bc1f1c1aa888e9d103706f3204f55b.jpg

I also came across this one which is a Kappa saddlebags support for 2014-15 FZ-07 but it has the same product code as the one J-F posted so it’s a bit confusing. Here’s a pic for reference and maybe an inspiration for a DIY design using a different mounting point...

582148ac6b828c4b733880a3e5144100.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: J_F
yep, it is confusing

that Kappa kit, yes, if not also installing a top case rack
you need another kit to join the sides case racks together
@Robbo is correct

then looking at the installation instructions it shows parts completely different
not sure if fortnine is reachable by phone
if so, or by email, maybe ask them to work it out

J1nmirG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom