RTI M2X Course, Test without highway portion | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RTI M2X Course, Test without highway portion

Well I am uncomfortable riding in urban city environments. I would like to take a test that only uses rural roads and highway and still get my full M!

The idea of getting a full unrestricted license is to show you are capable of riding/driving on all the roads in our county. Just because you are uncomfortable driving on the highway does not mean you get to choose not to do that portion of the test. Some day that person may need to use a highway then what they panic or get on the highway and end up being unsafe and potentially a danger to themselves or others.

I don'r buy this well I won;t ever go on it so why do I need to be tested on it to get my full license. I would have loved to have been able in school to tell my teachers I will never use this in real life so I don;t want to write that portion of the test. Please grade me and pass me anyhow!

I know I am coming across like an a-hole to some of you but this is why drivers in this province are so bad. The testing should be harder and more difficult to get a license not easier. Driving/riding is not a right and you should have to prove you have all the skills to be a road user not just the ones you are comfortable with!

You have to be a little bit careful with this.

After you pass your M1X test, you are qualified to travel at night, on the highway, with a passenger.

I would never advise a student, who'd just passed, to go out and try that right away.

Work your way up, but be able to do it eventually. You never know when you'll need it.

If you're having trouble with highway, try and find a course with a demo rider, like they have at the OSC in Ottawa.
That way you ride in a van behind, and they show you what you need to do.
Then you practice on your bike, with the van accompanying you.
Later on, you do the evaluation.

p.s. The highway portion is usually just one or two exits, and you're on and off the highway twice.

I am in the camp that you should be comfortable riding any road in Canada. If you are not, and your M2 is still valid what is the rush? The only benefit of the M license is you can have a beer and ride.

Get comfortable on the bike, get comfortable on the road. If you are scared that will most likely make you do something stupid that could have dire consequences.

... The only benefit of the M license is you can have a beer and think you can still ride....
Fixed it for you.
... have a second one and you won't even care.

People who refuse to be pushed out of their comfort zone results in the quality of drivers we have today. The ones that are menaces on the road.

Part of learning often involves exiting your comfort zone, but once you learn that by doing so you reach a higher level of comfort zone as you gain gain experience, then it's no longer uncomfortable. Think about winter driving for example - a lot of people are scared of skids and simply don't know how to handle them, resulting in a huge percentage of winter crashes that should have been avoidable. But send someone to skid school and have them spend a day exiting their comfort zone but learning how to handle them results in a safer driver.

When I got my pilots licence I was super paranoid about spin training. I did it though because I knew I wanted the experience, the training, and the knowledge that made me a safer pilot. And the knowledge could very well save my life some day.

Did I consider it fun or enjoyable? Not particularly, I've never been big into what is effectively aerobatics, but I did it, and I feel far better off for having the knowledge and experience.

For whatever reason she's apparently scared of the highway, she needs to confront that and get past it, be it through professional training (a M2 exit course with an accredited school) or via gradual experience riding with someone else. Just avoiding it is not a solution.

I don’t disagree with you, I push myself all the time, still do being over 50. I have over 200 hours of public speaking under my belt, yet when I was younger it scared the crap out of me. I get it.

But, just because we do it doesn’t mean it’s right for everyone. I have learned through experience that you can only challenge someone who wants to be challenged, and you and I fall into that category. People pick their internal battles whether it be learning riding a motorcycle, quitting smoking or climbing Everest. Some just don’t have the will or fight to challenge themselves. I know people in my family who for years have been scared drivers because of accidents they’ve been involved in. They don’t get better even though they drive every day. They confront their fears everyday yet nothing changes. I feel for them.

People are people, we need to respect the boundaries they chose to live in, even if we don’t agree with them.

The laws allow this, so no harm no foul.

A G license allows someone to drive a vehicle with a trailer. Maybe we should require people to back up with a trailer as part of the test for a normal driver's license. :)

A G license allows someone to drive a vehicle with a trailer. Maybe we should require people to back up with a trailer as part of the test for a normal driver's license. :)
As much as I hate government intervention, I have no problem with a trailer endorsement being required. 5 seconds at a boat launch will get anyone on my side.

I would argue that you have to consciously pull a trailer, while a highway could easily be taken by accident as others have pointed out (and odds are that if the ramps were confusing it will be a big high traffic route like the 401, not the best place to learn about riding on the highway).

I think that has a lot to do with it.

Understand that my ninja 300 is the heaviest, most powerful bike she has ridden. Her previous bike was a 229cc single and weighed under 300 lbs, before that was a cbr125. In the time that she has had her M2, I don't think she's even covered 3000km. I know she isn't afraid of speed, she has been over 100kph many times without issue. But I think the idea of riding what she is used to on a big wide open highway is what she is uncomfortable with. I can't blame her, I don't like riding my 300 on the highway either for the same reason. I think if I can get her onto a bigger bike, cbr500, etc. she would be more comfortable and might venture onto a 400 series Hwy someday.

But again, she is perfectly content bombing around town and the country backroads on smaller bikes, she has no desire at this point to go on the highway and it isn't my place or anyone else's for that matter to tell her otherwise. If that's what she enjoys and it makes her happy, I'm not going to try to convince her to do something she doesn't want to.

Some random people on the internet telling her that she shouldn't ride at all because of it is pretty ridiculous. I don't like riding downtown Toronto, should I stop riding because of that? The beauty of motorcycling is the variety of it, not every aspect of it appeals to everyone and that's ok.
Except that it isn't just some random people on the internet. The government has mandated that you must do the highway portion to get your full m. If she absolutely cannot do it even for one run on the test that's ridiculous
You will have a tough time buying a bike over 100cc that can't do highway speeds.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Except that it isn't just some random people on the internet. The government has mandated that you must do the highway portion to get your full m. If she absolutely cannot do it even for one run on the test that's ridiculous
You will have a tough time buying a bike over 100cc that can't do highway speeds.

Vespa Primavera 150 | Model Overview Canada

61mph, 155cc. Wouldn't catch me on one of those on the highway. You need an M to ride one of these. So whats you solution?

Vespa Primavera 150 | Model Overview Canada

61mph, 155cc. Wouldn't catch me on one of those on the highway. You need an M to ride one of these. So whats you solution?
What's my solution? Learn to ride on the highway, at least enough to get your m. You'd have to be a mental marshmallow to actually go out and buy that specific Vespa just to avoid the highway portion of the m2 exit.
If you actually own that Vespa and intend to keep and ride it then apparently RTI can hook you up with your M.

I’m sure there are other bikes that are over 100cc and can’t hit highway speeds.

Point being that there is a gap in the system that allows groups like RTI to provide proper training to people with lower speed bikes with engine sizes over 50cc.

Last edited:
Learning to ride in a parking lot on a bike that can't do 100kph is irrelevant. During the training courses you never exceed 35kph so their training bikes do not need to be capable of 100kph. You are learning the skills of riding a motorcycle and whether on a 100CC dirtbike or a 250CC cruiser it makes no difference.

Learning to ride in a parking lot on a bike that can't do 100kph is irrelevant. During the training courses you never exceed 35kph so their training bikes do not need to be capable of 100kph. You are learning the skills of riding a motorcycle and whether on a 100CC dirtbike or a 250CC cruiser it makes no difference.
But it's not in the parking lot. This is the M2 exit course to graduate to a full M. RTI has a course that omits the highway if you have a bike that can't hit 100kmph, between 100-250cc. Or did I misunderstand your post ?

I think RTI is the bad actor in this case - for having this full M course/test with highway exclusion. They are doing a disservice to the rider and encouraging gaming the system. They should cancel this and force riders to the regular program for M or the limited-speed M.

Until it falls on you, then you will really appreciate the lighter one covered in mostly plastic.

I can't speak on behalf of RTI, but when I read what they're offering, and their response about the bikes (the bike won't sustain 100 - nothing about the rider's desire/fear/apprehension/comfort), it seems it is perfectly in line with the requirements. Their description doesn't say they are skipping the highway (it's expressway in MTO terminology) portion of the test - it says they're leaving out the 100 kph 400 series in Toronto portion of the test. As much as we consider Toronto the COTU, let alone ONtario, there are MTO approved test routes elsewhere in Ontario for which the Expressway portion of the test is an 80kph section of road. It has to be limited access and provide for lane changes, and I think entry and exit ramps - but it does NOT have to be 100 kph on a 400 series hwy to be a valid test for a full M.

I think RTI is the bad actor in this case - for having this full M course/test with highway exclusion. They are doing a disservice to the rider and encouraging gaming the system. They should cancel this and force riders to the regular program for M or the limited-speed M.

This conversation is going in circles.

So what if the riders bike can’t do highway speeds?

I can't speak on behalf of RTI, but when I read what they're offering, and their response about the bikes (the bike won't sustain 100 - nothing about the rider's desire/fear/apprehension/comfort), it seems it is perfectly in line with the requirements. Their description doesn't say they are skipping the highway (it's expressway in MTO terminology) portion of the test - it says they're leaving out the 100 kph 400 series in Toronto portion of the test. As much as we consider Toronto the COTU, let alone ONtario, there are MTO approved test routes elsewhere in Ontario for which the Expressway portion of the test is an 80kph section of road. It has to be limited access and provide for lane changes, and I think entry and exit ramps - but it does NOT have to be 100 kph on a 400 series hwy to be a valid test for a full M.

Well said!

Back
Top Bottom