Royal Enfield Bullet 500 classic | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 classic

the dealer in Acton Ont. , Old Vintage Cranks , has been importing and selling these for a while and knows them inside out. Literally. It may be worth a trip over there and talk about your thoughts. They are pretty nice folks

There are also more farkles available for a Bullet than you will find for a KLR,

ummm I have my doubts about that ....the KLR had a multi-decade run with pretty much the same frame.....there was/is even a diesel conversion, over bore kits, giant fuel tanks the list goes on and on

even

as far as speed maybe ye olde speedos were even more optimistic than the current crop. Nostalgia galore with the Bullet but I'll keep my modern twin thanks. :coffee:

Jay Leno did an episode on the RE 650 "Connie", no complaints from him on the ride. (The episode had been posted on youtube).
Many years back there was an outfit in the Niagara region that imported the previous gen Bullet, that enterprise never took off due to the lack of QC on the bikes delivered from the then factory.
I have heard that the re-designed REs have a more modern assembly line.
Anyone know if Fritz Egli had a hand in the re-design?

ummm I have my doubts about that ....the KLR had a multi-decade run with pretty much the same frame.....there was/is even a diesel conversion, over bore kits, giant fuel tanks the list goes on and on

even

as far as speed maybe ye olde speedos were even more optimistic than the current crop. Nostalgia galore with the Bullet but I'll keep my modern twin thanks. :coffee:
The RE Bullet has the longest production run of any motorcycle, it's been in production since 1938 and they still build them. That's about 50 years longer that the KLR. Kawi never made a diesel KLR, it was a military only conversion made by Hayes using KLR donors. RE Bullets were available as factory produced diesels for years, today it's the most converted diesel bike anywhere (DieselBike.net | Royal Enfield Diesel Motorcycles.).

As for farkles, I can't think of anything you can't buy to dress or farkle up a Bullet. Try Accessory Shop - Hitchcocks Motorcycles - and that's one example -- there are literally of hundreds of Bullet-walla dealers in India.

As for a snow conversion, Royal Enfields are routinely chained up for snow riding.

Don't do it, chains would suck on ice :|
... and you would go down the road thump, thump, thump, thump

Is way easy to source a Saree Guard for an R-E, not sure they even make one for the KLR :unsure:

I remember seeing my first (and still only one for that matter) RE a few years ago and I NOTICED it, in a parking lot full of other bikes. The look and sound grabbed my attention, it was such a cool little bike.

I like the look and vibe of these bikes, but am I the only one who thinks they are overpriced?

In Canada they are horrendously over priced. Always has been an enthusiast motorcycle here. I rode one of the old ones made in England, it was an amazing crude lump of motorcycle to ride and yet it could still put a smile on your face.

Do you like steam engines? If you like steam engines you would probably love a Royal Enfield.

Acton, Lakefield and Rockland are the only RE dealers in ON?

Wonder how the Himalayan stacks up v CB500x v VStrom650 in cost to own and reliability going RTW? Noraly seems to be doing well with one.

I like the video of the young lady in India that starts her R-E Bullet by hand
and then rides off like a pro wearing almost zero safety gear :|

This one:

I like the video of the young lady in India that starts her R-E Bullet by hand
and then rides off like a pro wearing almost zero safety gear :|

This one:
She had a helmet, overkill in that part of the world.

What are the thoughts on the W800 as an alternative? Similar concept, not much more cost, kawasaki quality and dealer network might make it a better choice.

List new is $10k plus

A bullet is running $7k plus

The RE 650 Cont/Inter are in the $8k range.

Triumph Street twin is similar in price and specs with the Kawi.

The bullet is fine for around town and the back roads but, wouldn’t want to ride a 500 single at highway speed for any length of time.

The Kawi is decent but, my money would go towards the Triumph or RE 650 twins. Just a little more comfortable if taking a highway to get to better places to ride and still small and light enough for bobbing around town. And still has the retro look and feel.

Kawi is likely the best for reliability out of the bunch.

Personally, I’d look used for an air cooled FI Bonne.

But it’s nice to have options to choose from and folks have different priorities, likes, budgets etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the RE really overpriced? its 8k. You cant buy much of any road motorbike (new) for 8k in the 500-650cc range. It certainly a niche bike here, for all the reasons that have been given.

I do get the giggles when you see an ad for one used on kijiji. "rare bike" " classic british engineering" "maintained by expert mechanic"

Back
Top Bottom