Royal Enfield 650 not so affordable? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Royal Enfield 650 not so affordable?

iblastoff

I'll be the first to admit when these were first announced years ago, i was skeptical in terms of quality. But i've been coming around to them as they've been in the market for some time now and generally get pretty favourable reviews, despite being a very basic bike.

so i looked into finally getting one this season and was checking out the few dealers we have in ontario. i was surprised that the total out the door price for these bikes is basically around ~$11,000, which to me, is not that affordable for a simple no frills bike. thats pretty close to a brand new triumph street twin (maybe a grand or two more?)

i would have assumed the Royal Enfields would be closer to $7-8000 out the door. Anyone find this pricing kind of out of whack?

I mean yes obviously buying used is going to be way cheaper but all this talk about these bikes being affordable threw me off compared to the actual price.

I would have thought they would have been cheaper too. You can get some Jap bikes like the CB500X for less than that OTD, with change to spare. Not sure how much value they will hold when selling used either

Deleted comment because I was thinking specifically about the singles

I would have thought they would have been cheaper too. You can get some Jap bikes like the CB500X for less than that OTD, with change to spare. Not sure how much value they will hold when selling used either

yeah..i mean a brand new 2021 suzuki sv650x is basically $11K out the door too. i guess maybe the saving grace is the easier / potentially cheaper maintenance costs? hmm. i just dont know how 'affordable' keeps getting mentioned with this bike.

I think anything that's about the price of a mid level refridgerator is considered affordable .

Wonder if India will have a 2022 model in the marketplace ......

seems steep for technology straight out of the 60's - cue the HD comments.

SV650X carries an MSRP of $8699 plus freight, PDI, HST, and licencing. That's not going to be $11K out the door.
The INT650 can be had OUT THE DOOR between just over $10K to $10,600 depending on paint.
Its not 60s technology, its a whole new act, way newer that the SV650 or EX650.
The MT-07 is the same MSRP as the Suzuki and (IMO) a way better bike.
The cheapest Triumph (Street Twin) is $10,600 plus plus.
Bottom line - buy what you like, I picked the RE - your results may differ.

seems steep for technology straight out of the 60's - cue the HD comments.
You're thinking of the 350 or 500 single, technology straight out of post WW2 tech.
The 650 is an all new bike, designed to go head to head with Honda... the thing even has a Seely designed frame!

You're thinking of the 350 or 500 single, technology straight out of post WW2 tech.
The 650 is an all new bike, designed to go head to head with Honda... the thing even has a Seely designed frame!
Its actually Harris designed, but I'm nitpicking.

SV650X carries an MSRP of $8699 plus freight, PDI, HST, and licencing. That's not going to be $11K out the door.
The INT650 can be had OUT THE DOOR between just over $10K to $10,600 depending on paint.
Its not 60s technology, its a whole new act, way newer that the SV650 or EX650.
The MT-07 is the same MSRP as the Suzuki and (IMO) a way better bike.
The cheapest Triumph (Street Twin) is $10,600 plus plus.
Bottom line - buy what you like, I picked the RE - your results may differ.

that OTD price on SV650x should be pretty damn close to 11k i'd say. same with the xsr700 and MT-07.
the street twin..yah probably a few grand difference.

i would totally pick the RE. hell, even the Mister Clean all chrome edition looks insane to me and i generally dont like over-chromed bikes! i just thought 'affordable' meant it would be meaningfully cheaper than other bikes in its class.

I'll be the first to admit when these were first announced years ago, i was skeptical in terms of quality. But i've been coming around to them as they've been in the market for some time now and generally get pretty favourable reviews, despite being a very basic bike.

so i looked into finally getting one this season and was checking out the few dealers we have in ontario. i was surprised that the total out the door price for these bikes is basically around ~$11,000, which to me, is not that affordable for a simple no frills bike. thats pretty close to a brand new triumph street twin (maybe a grand or two more?)

i would have assumed the Royal Enfields would be closer to $7-8000 out the door. Anyone find this pricing kind of out of whack?

I mean yes obviously buying used is going to be way cheaper but all this talk about these bikes being affordable threw me off compared to the actual price.
What dealer did you get the pricing from? If it was Classy Chassis I find their other bikes to be expensive any time I've looked. I've never looked at the RE prices but their used Harley and new Zero prices seem to be higher then anyone.

What dealer did you get the pricing from? If it was Classy Chassis I find their other bikes to be expensive any time I've looked. I've never looked at the RE prices but their used Harley and new Zero prices seem to be higher then anyone.
There's only 2 dealers close to the GTA, Classy Chassis and Old Village Cranks. I doubt you'd see much price difference between the two.

There's only 2 dealers close to the GTA, Classy Chassis and Old Village Cranks. I doubt you'd see much price difference between the two.

Brain fart? Old Vintage Cranks. My next door neighbour bought his there. Never asked him what he dropped on it.

so yah i got an OTD price for a new triumph street twin and it was 12,960. its also 900cc and 65hp. so basically what i said (1-2k more). its definitely more expensive but rightly so since its basically in the next tier of bikes in terms of power output.

the RE650 is closer to the 500-700cc tier of bikes. and honestly probably on the lower end since its only 47hp. for $11,000'ish OTD that still seems like a lot. ahh well. i'm still considering one but the enthusiasm is a bit dampened now. i really dont mind its modest power output but i wish it was priced more accordingly.

Last edited:
the RE650 is closer to the 500-700cc tier of bikes. and honestly probably on the lower end since its only 47hp. for $11,000'ish OTD that still seems like a lot. ahh well. i'm still considering one but the enthusiasm is a bit dampened now. i really dont mind its modest power output but i wish it was priced more accordingly.
You're buying retro styling with modern technology.
The only fair comparisons are the Triumph Street Twin and the Kawasaki W800, both of which are going to be at least $2,000ish more OTD for not a whole bunch more power.
Whatever blows your hair back and your wallet can bear.

You're buying retro styling with modern technology.
The only fair comparisons are the Triumph Street Twin and the Kawasaki W800, both of which are going to be at least $2,000ish more OTD for not a whole bunch more power.
Whatever blows your hair back and your wallet can bear.
Not a whole bunch more power? I would call 50% more a whole bunch. I'm not saying which way he should go, but dismissing a 50% power bump seems disingenuous.

my quote was from OVC!

Not a whole bunch more power? I would call 50% more a whole bunch. I'm not saying which way he should go, but dismissing a 50% power bump seems disingenuous.
A W800 makes 46.23 rear wheel hp, the Triumph Street Twin (900cc) makes 60.6, the RE makes 42.2, all as measured on the Cycle World magazine dyno. Based on displacement I'd say the RE is holding its own, wouldn't you ?

Back
Top Bottom