riding in Spain | GTAMotorcycle.com

riding in Spain

ifiddles

.just curious if anyone here (other than possibly Lightcycle whom I've messaged) ridden in Spain, particularly Madrid and Barcelona?...hubby and I will be there for 12 days and were thinking of renting a couple of scooters to check out the countryside and coastline...we got our IDP at CAA, so we're set that way...just wondering what tips, tricks and other stuff you can share if you have...

P.S....not planning on taking our helmets, but using their rental ones...they say they are disinfected (no lice hopefully) after each use, so praying that's true :D

I rented one of those little electric scooters last time I was in Barcelona, was a blast!

I rented a car one time for another trip and got lost for a few hours in Seville, ended up just parking someplace and walked. Don't expect the streets to be very well marked, because they aren't. The sign's are up on the sides of buildings and almost useless for driving. Outside of the cities is much easier.

I rented one of those little electric scooters last time I was in Barcelona, was a blast!

I rented a car one time for another trip and got lost for a few hours in Seville, ended up just parking someplace and walked. Don't expect the streets to be very well marked, because they aren't. The sign's are up on the sides of buildings and almost useless for driving. Outside of the cities is much easier.

@ sburns did you bring your helmet or use theirs

@ sburns did you bring your helmet or use theirs
I used the suppled helmet, was more like a bicycle helmet. I didn't have any intentions to do any riding while over there, but they had them in the lobby of the hotel and well I had to give it a shot.

I would not only take my own helmet, it would have a canadian flag on the back.
lol Might as well, they are going to spot you as being a foreigner anyway. Have a great and safe trip!

I got a Duke 790 for ten days in Ibiza, should be interesting, out of 11 traffic deaths on the isle this summer 8 were on moto's. Yikes!

I might ferry over to Barcelona for a day or two rip.

I got a Duke 790 for ten days in Ibiza, should be interesting, out of 11 traffic deaths on the isle this summer 8 were on moto's. Yikes!

I might ferry over to Barcelona for a day or two rip.

I think there’s probably some other additional causal factor in Ibiza.

I would not only take my own helmet, it would have a canadian flag on the back.
lol Might as well, they are going to spot you as being a foreigner anyway. Have a great and safe trip!

@ Trials ...would you bring your own helmet because of bugs or fit or other reasons?...

Fit for sure, I might even take an open face if that was more appropriate, hygiene is huge, I'm no germaphobe but helmets can get absolutely gross fast on some heads. Also because my helmets are pretty good compared to the average cheap helmet that you will be seeing at a scooter rental place.

The only time I’ve ever heard of anyone urinating into a helmet that was left on a bike was in Europe.

Just thought I’d leave that there.

ew, I was thinking more along the lines of how frequently I have seen head sweat run out of freshly removed helmet.

that's gross! :(
Yep, that pretty much sums up what a loaner helmet is like, something tells me you will be taking your own with you.

Just bring one of those head wrap thingies
Y’all are over thinking the helmet.

Sent from the moon!

@ vanjka thanks for that link...i found the map for Madrid as well...looks like we'll be doing more riding than sightseeing LOL...man oh man, some nice looking roads out there...was thinking of a scooter, but I found a Yamaha dealer in Madrid that has the FZ07 (my bike) so me thinks I need to get that one :D now to find one in Barcelona :D

lol you're not really going to ride all over Italy on a Japanese motorcycle are you!
... that just seems wrong.

Oh wait this is Spain lol even worse you should rent a Montesa Impala 2
obviously I'm just kidding, have a great trip and ride safe, the bike you are most familiar with is likely best.

Last edited:
.just curious if anyone here (other than possibly Lightcycle whom I've messaged) ridden in Spain, particularly Madrid and Barcelona?

Madrid is terrible for bikers. It's like riding in downtown Toronto. I wouldn't do it.

There's a few good roads around Barcelona, the coastal road between Barcelona and Valencia is very scenic and twisty:

P.S....not planning on taking our helmets, but using their rental ones...they say they are disinfected (no lice hopefully) after each use, so praying that's true :D

If it was a rental for a single day, I'd also rent a helmet, but for 12 days of riding, I'd take my own helmet. Just carry it on the plane with you, it doesn't count as luggage, so you can still take a carry-on suitcase as well.

Back
Top Bottom