Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 57 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Despite the wet got a bit of a sunburn riding today - bit surprised. Did manage to dodge the rain squalls and a couple hundred ks up and back to Daintree Village where of course everything is closed ...it's Feb....next few days will be all monsoon.

Watching our naive riders heading around the world...Morocco was pleasant surprise ...one of my clients loves it.
Mauritania on the other hand....nah..
Reminds me of Freetown Sierra Leon tho there were more Citroens mixed with the Mercedes.....both best for African Roads
Good sleeping with the rain.
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at Feb, 15    2023    5.52.08 PM.jpg
Glad I got my ride in. It's Feb and nearly everything is closed as it is the low season. Not a single eatery open in Daintree Village tho I snagged a poorly constructed club sandwich for lunch in Mossman.. The smoothie was delic tho.
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at Feb, 15    2023    5.53.32 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at Feb, 15    2023    5.53.44 PM.jpg
Itchy Boots tomorrow.

Last edited:
Packed off the two uppers to Brazil and Noraly next....clever girl.

question is - can I stay awake til 1 am here?
I did last night not by choice - good book. We'll see about a repeat. :unsure:

Morocco FFS !!! :oops:

Last edited:
Can't even have a conversation on the deck from 2m away. Lotsa rain.
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at Feb, 16    2023    4.31.25 PM.jpg
Partner has been here...
Enjoying Lavi and Ollie in Brazil ... ignore the title.

Last edited:
Found out that Noraly wears independent knee armor under her riding pants.
FPG058_Knee_Protector_Scram_Black_front.jpg
81yZdcrvufL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I rode with mine under the Rev'it Sand pants the other day and found them more comfortable than the first round. Not sure the Rev'it are D3O
On the hunt for lighter gloves. Did not get the ones from Canada yet :(

••
Impressed with Brazil so far outside the cities.
The free campsite at the end of this was really a good deal ....all free and gorgeous....one couple had been living there for 2 years in a converted bus that had everything.
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at Feb, 17    2023    1.56.10 PM.jpg
Brazil certainly busy improving infrastructure.
Oillie improving his off road skills and quite impressed with Vstrom tho not getting that much of a work out. I suspect that will change as they move into the Andes. Some of the small steep climbs make the effortless torque useful.
Also impressed with the national parks.
They are editing on a Mac and it looks from a short glance an 11" Air which is a damn small screen to work with. That makes sense they are staying in HD format instead of the 4k which Noraly uses and which is really nice but requires more horsepower for the editing.

Good day to be a virtual tourist..27 degrees and intermittent showers plus a tiny bit of sun. Quite enjoyable.
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at Feb, 17    2023    2.21.08 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Noraly not lost any "kid in the candy shop" enthusiasm to be back on the road. She was pretty casual about an icy road. 🍿
Nice to have 4k again especially with Morocco colours and bright sun.
No vegetarion this girl.

Our intrepid Vstrom travellers are in Puerto Natales where we were supposed to take our fjiords 8 day boat tour around the end of Cape Horn and visit Torres del Paine :(
Then came covid and we had to leave Chile ....
This will have to do.
Think their trip might swing a few to the Strom for touring ,..been very reliable. I found the same.
24,000 cdn for the equivalent BMW ...

$19000 for the Strom

Last edited:
What's with these adventurous German girls. Tenere too.

caught up with Ollie et al and Noraly.

This was a route we wanted to take by car but the last few hundred km seemed impossible with a rental car.
Even taking a taxi between Norway and Finland up there was prohibitive cost.

gorgeous roads

Last edited:
Been to Zion but the drone views are superb -spectacular in 4k and HDR. We went in November so few tourists and was just after the US parks close down due to budget :rolleyes:
Good views of the Tail of the Dragon - drone and bike view

No better example of the need for decent boots, and she still was hurt for a couple of days.
Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at Feb, 19    2023    9.23.32 PM.jpg

Last edited:
A decent riding window and..Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at Feb, 20    2023    3.45.56 AM.jpg

...I/we have commitments all day...nice commitments but still ... :rolleyes:

One of them is lunch at out fav restaurant in Palm Cove with sis-in-law overlooking the Pacific. I'll live :sneaky:

Pigged out with sis-in-law yesterday ...still recovering...finished the barramundi for breakfast and we both skipped supper yesterday but it was a very yummy $200 pig out for 3....no dessert this time tho their tiramisu is superb. Got the corner table we wanted facing the Pacific with a nice breeze.

Just plain ate too much...their garlic pizza shared, a reaaaaallly good caesar salad that should have been the mains....then barramundi and best fries I've had in a long while.....even the dog adores the cold ones this morning. Shared a champers bottle and waddled home.

Season 7 for Noraly is in progress and glad to see she took an inland route in Morocco so not duplicating Liva and Ollie's route. 🍿

Filled in with this traveller - nice to see a Tenere
Hard time getting youtube would keep episodes in order...not really important.

Ollie still struggling off pavement, enthusiasm remains...(y)

Last edited:
Thought I would get out today ....still might but showers forecast.

Would like at least to pick up my free ferry card to cross the Daintree.
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at Feb, 24    2023    8.00.50 AM.jpg
Noraly in winter in Morocco out today.
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at Feb, 24    2023    7.49.25 AM.jpg

Chilly in Patagonia too as out two up heading north.
a better equipped Tenere - a friend from Brazil.
1677190460197.png
of course a liability when you dumpScreen Shot 2023-02-24 at Feb, 24    2023    8.24.42 AM.jpg
We were considering driving to Ushaia but got a good look via the vlog.

This one came up next

1677195668522.png

Another Tenere...Yamaha has a winner.(y)

Interested in seeing Freetown Sierra Leon after decades away. 🍿

Last edited:
Ah - scored a deal on a much needed backup Mac laptop just in riding range at Townsville.
0b0d8c00-1c1a-46ef-86ff-e0bfd160d176.jpg

All highway and no traffic.
Will get a bit wet from showers but don't much care. Will wear the Joe Rocket waterproof but breathable inner layer and it's way cool.
Decent tailwind coming home too. At least it's cool. √
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at Feb, 24    2023    4.39.56 PM.jpg
350 km each way but cheap AirBnB there ( $60 ) if needed.
If I leave at 7 will be there by noon and then assess a ride back.
8.30 pm night before - pissing down - glad I'm not setting out now

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at Feb, 24    2023    8.33.14 PM.jpg time to get a good .:sleep:

Last edited:
best laid plans ...ugh Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at Feb, 25    2023    4.52.58 AM.jpg
That's more than a shower. :(
Big time more

1677314959318.png

Home safe - longish day - 11 hours - Mac is mint and dog had an adventure. √

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at Feb, 25    2023    5.07.00 AM.jpg
big time more than a shower 64 mm since 9am - 12 hours. 2.5"

Last edited:
Snuck up the Gillies on dry roads - nearly every eatery closed for the wet so snagged 10 KFC tenders for $11 deal - ate 3 for a protein fix and will get 2 more meals from it
Slithered past a few intense showers and made it home only slighly damp which I consider a successful slalom.
Coming down the range from Kuranda the rain forest kept the heaviest shower at bay and then the sun came out. 🌤️ 😎
1677560824706.png

Riding was a bit sloppy for me due to rust but bike felt lively - topped off tires helped and remarkably the Gillies was dry and no green moss so had fun.....moss likely flushed away with the heavy rain. Zero traffic.

Nice ride across the Daintree Ferry to Cape Tribulation.
Gorgeous day. Missed the free ferry ride by a few days but not a big deal.
Cape Tribulation Weather
Now UPDATED 11:10AM AEST
°
FEELS LIKE
34.0°C
WEATHER STATION

Wind from the NE so should be okay going home - it is sticky tho :giggle: Amusing audiobook on the go Last Dog on Earth...narrated from the dog's viewpoint.
A very enjoyable ride and sorted my clear visor on the C3.

Last edited:
A foot of rain last night and zilch sleep for a variety of reasons.

bingeing Formula 1.
This was unreal
happy my dottor is coming here in October for a month - eBike will be useful as she has one in Toronto.

29 on the deck at 10 pm ....bit thick ..fans going and binge F1 for a bit. Riding tomorrow morning. Nice days coming up.
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at Mar, 9    2023    9.45.06 PM.jpg

Son is in for brain surgery on Friday. He's feeling okay but ..... :unsure:

Caught up with Noraly in the Sahara looking very competent tho a dire track.

Also the two up noobs who are riding in S America on a destroyed chain. 🍿

Last edited:
Kid in surgery ... fingers crossed.
Kid out of surgery and it went well.imgres.png

Lovely riding day - 6 am now will get away soon. 🏍️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom