Riding bike from seller to home | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding bike from seller to home

EX500R2001

1. Can I temporarily use the insurance of my current bike just to get home?
2. I have 2 license plates - one from the bike I've sold a month ago (which I intend to transfer to the new bike), and the other from my current bike. Which one I should put on the bike to ride it home?

1. Can I temporarily use the insurance of my current bike just to get home?
2. I have 2 license plates - one from the bike I've sold a month ago (which I intend to transfer to the new bike), and the other from my current bike. Which one I should put on the bike to ride it home?

1. Some insurance companies offer up to 14-days of coverage at the same terms of your existing vehicle policy. Call your insurance company to confirm this. For some companies, it's only given in the event of a vehicle replacement, not addition. It's meant for in the event that you buy a vehicle on a weekend and can't call the insurance company to add a new policy. Again, call your insurance company and inquire. Every one of them has different terms and policies.

2. You will need a temporary license plate sticker from MTO, which will give you up to 10 days after your purchase to get your vehicle inspected/certified and registered, during which time you can still drive your vehicle to and from the garage and the MTO office. See this link:

Riding the bike home without a plate: Stupid

Riding the bike home with a plate from another vehicle: Stupid with intent.

That was direct from a cop buddy who added if you're going to do it, just be stupid.

Thanks for replies.
1. Re insurance - every time I buy a new bike from a dealership, they are able to register the bike using my existing insurance policy number from the bike I already own (GPBIKES, BWM, etc.). How? To be clear, I'm interested in liability only, just to ride the bike home.
2. Re license plates - every time I sell a bike, the buyers come with their own plates, put it on the bike and ride away. They could not register the bike by that time, because I was having the title. How?

Thanks for replies.
1. Re insurance - every time I buy a new bike from a dealership, they are able to register the bike using my existing insurance policy number from the bike I already own (GPBIKES, BWM, etc.). How? To be clear, I'm interested in liability only, just to ride the bike home.
2. Re license plates - every time I sell a bike, the buyers come with their own plates, put it on the bike and ride away. They could not register the bike by that time, because I was having the title. How?
Re#2 If the bike is still registered in your name and there is an at fault, you, as the owner could be held responsible. There are grey area arguments about the effect of a bill of sale but for me I never want to see a LEO at my door saying a bike registered in my name injured or killed someone.

Check with the MOT to see if any of your old vehicles are still in your name. They can delete them.

Thanks for replies.
1. Dealer fills out and submits the paperwork before you pick up the bike. You officially own it and plates have been transferred to that bike. Previously this would have been a trip to Service Ontario for them but now they can do it in house.

2. Having plates on a bike used to make it less likely that you would get pulled over. Cops see when things are off and want to chat. With ALPR, if your plates belong on a green kawasaki and you are riding a black harley, you still get their attention. Buyers were riding with their plates illegally and risking a "plate not authorized for vehicle" charge.

As has been said, check with your insurance company to see what would be covered or not covered.

Just because they did this doesn't mean they did it properly.

All is well, until it's not. If they get pulled over on the way home or they get into an accident on the way home they have a plate from another bike and no proper insurance that's when it hits the fan. 99% of the people who do this will probably not have an issue.

You can put whatever you want to in the space for insurance information. There is fine print at the bottom of the form stating that lying on the document is a criminal offence. They would consider you putting your insurance company and policy number in that space without actually contacting your insurance company to dot your Ts and cross your Is to make sure you are actually covered on the new vehicle as lying. Will they find out? Probably no. If your bike winds up embedded in the side of a car on the way home? Definitely yes.

1. Some insurance companies offer up to 14-days of coverage at the same terms of your existing vehicle policy. Call your insurance company to confirm this. For some companies, it's only given in the event of a vehicle replacement, not addition. It's meant for in the event that you buy a vehicle on a weekend and can't call the insurance company to add a new policy. Again, call your insurance company and inquire. Every one of them has different terms and policies.

I found out about this with my latest acquisition, since I was looking at it on a weekend and my agent's office would have been closed if I decided to take it home same day. In the past, they just gave me a binder, but they no longer do that. There is actually a mandate by the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA) for all insurers to provide it, but READ CAREFULLY for restrictions, particularly if not all of your vehicles are under the same insurer:

OAP 1: Ontario Automobile Policy Owner's Policy​

I also have some questions related to privately buying a motorcycle. I hope you can share some of your wisdom to guide me.

Last year, when I decided to get a bike, I chose to purchase it new from the dealership because, for the most part, I ignored (was afraid to screw up) how to jump through all the hoops when buying a used vehicle privately, and more so a motorcycle.

Now, I might purchase a used bike, but still don't know most of the in and outs.
- Is it frowned upon to ask for a quick test ride?
- If I don't own another vehicle to transport it to my place what would be the best way to do it? Meet at SO and get a temporary license plate sticker?
- What happens if the bike needs a fair amount of work to meet the safety standards? Let's say that I purchased it now and plan to have the work done closer to spring. Can I get a temporary sticker now, and apply for the second one around spring?

I also have some questions related to privately buying a motorcycle. I hope you can share some of your wisdom to guide me.

Last year, when I decided to get a bike, I chose to purchase it new from the dealership because, for the most part, I ignored (was afraid to screw up) how to jump through all the hoops when buying a used vehicle privately, and more so a motorcycle.

Now, I might purchase a used bike, but still don't know most of the in and outs.
- Is it frowned upon to ask for a quick test ride?
- If I don't own another vehicle to transport it to my place what would be the best way to do it? Meet at SO and get a temporary license plate sticker?
- What happens if the bike needs a fair amount of work to meet the safety standards? Let's say that I purchased it now and plan to have the work done closer to spring. Can I get a temporary sticker now, and apply for the second one around spring?
You can ask for a test ride, most won't let you do it as it is the owners insurance on the hook. Either the owner will go down the street and hit all the gears or you pay in full and agree to swap back if you have an issue.

If you don't own another vehicle, you have no insurance and the vehicle cannot be ridden. It needs to be on a truck/trailer.

You can get the vehicle in your name as unplated/unfit. Bring in the safety and convert it to plated/fit when you can.

If you really don't know what is going on, ask if the owner can drop it off at a shop. You pay the shop bill for a pre-purchase inspection (and I would probably have them do a safety at the same time assuming it could pass). Owner may play ball or tell you they don't want that hassle. Be sure to tell the shop what you are interested in. A bike that passes a safety doesn't necessarily mean it is a good purchase. For instance, clutch could be on its way out or timing belt is aged out and it would still pass safety. Maybe blow up in 2km though so that would suck.

Hello everyone,

Noob here. I passed my m1 test last week and I wanted to upgrade my m1 license straight to m license, I have more than 10 years of experience driving a motorcycle in a foreign country. I asked about it in the drivetest centre and was advised that it will take a while to update that in their system. After that, it's all fine.

I'm planning to take m license before the end of fall, which realistically leaves me with a month. Where shall I start?

1. When I took my g1 to g test, there were no other procedures involved other than claiming my experience. Pretty much how that works is that you have one shot at taking the g test, if you fail. you'd have to do g2 and later g test.
2. I understand that I'm required to attend a Motorcycle Rider Training and pretty much all the places where I have called have only a program that involves a m2 test. So I thought of giving a shot at that.

If the current owner has insurance on the bike you can always arrange for them to ride it to your house and then they can pull their plates. You give them a ride home in the cage or they have a friend pick them up.

It is not perfect as there is a level of trust for both parties. You pay and they never show at your house or crash on the way. You pay on delivery, they show up and then you low ball them. Etc.

I have done this buying cars as a get it from there to here work around. Usually I pay half before hand and the rest on delivery.

Thanks for replies.
Don't ever do this...if you read the UVIP, you are responsible for any accidents or injuries until the bike is out of your name. I would deliver the bike or let the new owner trailer it away, then go to any Service Ontario and declare it sold. Just show them the plate portion of your ownership and say "sold". Even doing this doesn't guarantee that you will not be held liable. You are liable until the bike is out of your name.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Don't ever do this...if you read the UVIP, you are responsible for any accidents or injuries until the bike is out of your name. I would deliver the bike or let the new owner trailer it away, then go to any Service Ontario and declare it sold. Just show them the plate portion of your ownership and say "sold". Even doing this doesn't guarantee that you will not be held liable. You are liable until the bike is out of your name.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.
I call ******** on this.

Make two bills of sale. (Or photocopy it). Get the buyer to sign it. As is, where is. That's your backup if they do anything shady.

Its on them to transfer it into their name. I've had parts bikes that I had a signed ownership, but never transferred. If I left it somewhere and it got towed away, the previous owner would have the option of getting it back... technically its still theirs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Reminder: Riding without insurance is a $5,000 fine... and that's the chump change cost of it.

The greater cost is that it means you'll need high risk insurance for the next 3 years. The car that used to cost you $2,000/yr to insure will be closer to $12,000 per year. That's right, in addition to the $5k ticket, you're looking at about $10k/yr more on just a car alone, for each of the next three years, forget the motorcycles...

That being said, one day I hope I'll make enough money that I won't care about risking losing out on $35,000+... until then, I'm not riding anything home.

Last edited:
That being said, one day I hope I'll make enough money that I won't care about risking losing out on $35,000+... until then, I'm not riding anything home.

Nah. Have enough money that the option of posting a surety bond and not have to pay insurance at all would be better.

I call ******** on this.

Make two bills of sale. (Or photocopy it). Get the buyer to sign it. As is, where is. That's your backup if they do anything shady.

Its on them to transfer it into their name. I've had parts bikes that I had a signed ownership, but never transferred. If I left it somewhere and it got towed away, the previous owner would have the option of getting it back... technically its still theirs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Maverick vs matt365 debate: The answer is simple. Go to a lawyer and have them prepare a detailed report on the legalities, risks and possible outcomes and decide from there. The report shouldn't cost more than ten grand. Or you can rent a trailer. Or you can call a member here who PROFESSIONALLY transports bike, to move the machine.

When I sold my last bike the buyer was serious but in Windsor. He was prepared to transfer the money but needed to arrange for a trailer.

I was in the mood for a goodbye ride so I packed up the UVIP, safety and ownership and had a nice ride to Windsor. If there was any problem I would have an equally nice ride back. He liked the bike so we went to his bank and did the money stuff and then to the MOT for the plate stuff. He dropped me off at the the train station and even paid my fare home.

The trip home was delightful because I happened to be sitting next to a super intelligent lady and we had a discussion about numerous arts thing her sons were into and the impact on related things. Bonus.

Back
Top Bottom