Reusing new brake fluid | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reusing new brake fluid

Problem with the FZ6 or Yamaha calipers is that they are one piece. A little difficult to work on there with the limited space.
You want to see tight workspace, try working on a trials bike some time.

Oh yes the trials bike ;)

where new technology shows up first.

Is that why they call them the try-als ... I mean trial bikes

Where they try out all new concepts and new ideas before implementing them into real bikes.
After all they do need some test dummies for new technologies. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

How well do they work? lol

If you are still hacking away at it tomorrow and want to try out the tool let me know.

I don't mind going for a ride up to Brampton as an excuse.

so that was fuckin fun
realized the reason the pistons werent moving was because there wasnt enough brake fluid in the system(the sight glass lies) it appeared like it was half full, but when I opened it up, it was empty, so I started topping up the reservoir, pumping away, the pistons eventually started moving...I knew id have to deal with it on the other side as well so I opened that caliper up as well, put a big wrench on the side that was already open, started pumping some more, the other pistons started coming out...

everything was going smoothly(or so I thought), I figured, hey the right pistons are half way out, shouldnt be an issue if I remove the left caliper pistons...WRONG

I removed the left caliper pistons, disassembled everything, tried to remove right pistons....nope they will not budge without hydraulic pressure...

Tried topping up the reservoir again, put a little pen and a rag on the empty disconnected line, hoping it would work...Wrong

Tried the mcgyiver syringe method...Nope(failed hilariously, the caliper just squirt the brake fluid back without nudging the pistons like a humpback whale...thankfully I always wear PPE)

at this point i was about to give up and let a pro handle it but...I remembered the new Galfer steel braided lines arent connected with that annoying T joint in the middle and are independently plumbed...so I thought hey! lets try it again!

so I hooked up one of the new lines to the master cylinder and the caliper and began pumping away...I'd see a bubble every time I pumped,
the lever got a little firmer, but after an hour of pumping and not seeing the piston move an inch I was annoyed, I thought maybe there was some air in the line somewhere...

So I started bleeding the brakes, but the caliper was apart and not clamped on the bike so this was tricky...thankfully I found a bunch of trusty sturdy rubber bands, found a clear hose and started bleeding the line...after a few bleeds I tried pumping again...and to my surprise the pistons started moving! Finally the pistons were out and everything was disassembled

And I lived happily ever after, the end.

Strangely enough, when I bled the lines, I saw no air bubbles from the bleed valve...
i'm covered in brake fluid and brake cleaner, but at least I got good at bleeding brakes...I might be running low on brake fluid though...(used half the bottle)

is it ok to mix different brands of brake fluid as long as its the same type? (DOT 4?)

Not sure if the dealer will have it...

Quality time with your motorcycle (y) yes dot4 mixes well with dot4

Interestingly the manual for my much missed Russian Niva 4x4 said to always filter brake fluid before reusing. It had a manual choke and an auxiliary crank for starting so not exactly at the forefront of technology.

Interestingly the manual for my much missed Russian Niva 4x4 said to always filter brake fluid before reusing. It had a manual choke and an auxiliary crank for starting so not exactly at the forefront of technology.
What were they recommending for brake fluid, hydraulic oil?

You want to see tight workspace, try working on a trials bike some time.
Lol, yup. To remove the rear brake lever on the ossa i had i needed to drop the swingarm.

Lol, yup. To remove the rear brake lever on the ossa i had i needed to drop the swingarm.
Sherco rear shock damper yet. You have to practically dismantle the rear end of the motorcycle to get to the adjuster knob :|
You can tell a Cota 315 owner, by the bent allen key in his tool box,
everybody had one that looked the same lol you need it to get the header off :| the Rotax powered Scorpa was even worse.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom