Restarting...A few concerns... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Restarting...A few concerns...

Vanessa

I was not able to do any riding at all in the last three years but I am serious about riding this year.

At age sixty, this is a new thing for me and the family thinks I'm absolutely bonkers for wanting to ride in the first place.

I have taken a course and even had a bit of riding practice before an ankle issue had me off for a season. Then ' It' hit and many of our plans were derailed.

Since COVID I have seen an increase of 'two wheelers' on the roads (and sidewalks but that is a separate conversation...) but not many in my age range.
Learning to ride in Toronto has become more challenging than even before but I mean to conquer it this season.

It won't be easy, but it should certainly be fun.

:)

p.s. I would suggest everyone who has not read the most recent MTO handbook to do so. A number of changes/updates for those mature drivers who may not have even been thinking about it.

I was not able to do any riding at all in the last three years but I am serious about riding this year.

At age sixty, this is a new thing for me and the family thinks I'm absolutely bonkers for wanting to ride in the first place.

I have taken a course and even had a bit of riding practice before an ankle issue had me off for a season. Then ' It' hit and many of our plans were derailed.

Since COVID I have seen an increase of 'two wheelers' on the roads (and sidewalks but that is a separate conversation...) but not many in my age range.
Learning to ride in Toronto has become more challenging than even before but I mean to conquer it this season.

p.s. I would suggest everyone who has not read the most recent MTO handbook to do so. A number of changes/updates for those mature drivers who may not have even been thinking about it.
Go for it!

There are lots of groups that get together for rides, they will be starting soon, they are of all ages and skills. They can give you a purpose for getting out there while developing confidence and skills.

If you are 60, you're old enough to start riding, and young enough to enjoy it.

Welcome, do it! You'll enjoy it more once you leave the city behind and get into some more open roads.
Enjoy ride safe.

Tip: Beware of the womanizing seniors around here.

Welcome to GTAM!

Welcome ...I have a favourite coffee stop in Herberton....about an hours ride up in the Tablelands....she's 60 and started riding a few years back. Looking to sell her motorcycle themed coffee shop so she can ride more. She has a BMW GS310 and really enjoys riding.
Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at Mar, 25    2023    3.24.19 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at Mar, 25    2023    3.25.19 PM.jpg
Go for it - hopefully you are on the GTA edges and can get to the quieter roads especially week days. A riding partner would be ideal for you.
Have you thought about a bike for you? 🏍️

Welcome ...I have a favourite coffee stop in Herberton....about an hours ride up in the Tablelands....she's 60 and started riding a few years back. Looking to sell her motorcycle themed coffee shop so she can ride more. She has a BMW GS310 and really enjoys riding.
View attachment 60015
View attachment 60014
Go for it - hopefully you are on the GTA edges and can get to the quieter roads especially week days. A riding partner would be ideal for you.
Have you thought about a bike for you? 🏍️
I was actually thinking the same, what bike she was thinking to have... Welcome, by the way @Vanessa, gear up enjoy the ride...

Just what we need! More young riders.
71 going on 21

Set some rules for yourself such as time of day, day of the week, where you ride etc. if you can until you gain more experience and confidence. Extreme caution near intersections and as much protective gear as you can afford or want. Anything you can do to mitigate risk. Then get out on those beautiful sunny days as much as you can and soak up the joy of riding. It'll make you feel like a teenager again!

Another Boston Pizza thread.

If you're unfamiliar with the friction zone and shifting gears on a bike, consider taking an intro course a couple of days before the regular M1X course.

Welcome to the forum.
Take it slow and you will be comfortable sooner than you think.

Take it slow, ride during not peak hours, keep your head on a swivel.

Welcome back.

You can't use yesterdays caution anymore. Drivers have gone nuts with road rage.

I caged it 6 km in the rain yesterday and almost got caught up in two road rage incidents.

On the bright side, once there I had breakfast with a guy that took up riding at 61 and he's put on 140,000 kms in the following two decades, traveling through Canada, USA and Mexico.

I have been riding for decades, and I've learned that learning is never over.

There is a book called "Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well". I've read this book over and over again, and I still find gems that I feel help me ride safer.

I also like to watch riding technique videos on YouTube, although they vary in quality. And if you have a friend that rides well, ask him/her questions and also make note of their riding style.

The last thing is to get out there and ride! Nothing beats saddle time.

EDIT - spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom