[Resolved] $9000/year Motorcycle Insurance for 18 y/o male normal? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

[Resolved] $9000/year Motorcycle Insurance for 18 y/o male normal?

I did these quotes based on his info and age with an M2. And the industry wonders why no new riders are entering the market? Manufacturers need to get their heads out of the sand and start lobbying governments to fix this lunacy.

And if I put in my data as a 54 year old that has been riding since 16

How come you got a better rate then the OP on his bike? assume you did not say you have additional vehicles and/or household.
I know that for some bizarre reason even your good credit rating can reduce your insurance rate, can only assume bad credit rating would increase rates.

The problem is he's 18. Insurance is brutal until your in you're 20s. Combine that with an bad postal code and you're going to get $5k+ rates on most bikes. You're only options really are get a 125cc or pay up.

Get an electric bike and really mess them up, or are those expensive too.

Can’t say I’m entirely surprised. I remember decades ago searching car insurance and getting rates around $450/m for liability on an old beater. 17/18 years old under my own name. Obviously even worse on a bike.

Search around a lot. Purchase your bike outright, small cc. Liability only. You should be able to find better rates but it won’t ever be cheap at your age. As said look at cruisers under 650cc for what will likely be your best rates. Marauder 250??

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

They probably want to see it like the U.K. model and see you on a 125 to start and put a great big learner signs on your back, but they should at least Say that and make something affordable to the younglings that Need the real life experience.

If they prove to be bad riders then SOL for riding, become a driver.

How come you got a better rate then the OP on his bike? assume you did not say you have additional vehicles and/or household.
I know that for some bizarre reason even your good credit rating can reduce your insurance rate, can only assume bad credit rating would increase rates.
Because I put in that I am 54 years old. Full M and have been licensed and insured since I was 16 years old. Hence the low rate.

If you are taking about the Versys 300 that is the price they quoted for him same details as the other 2 bikes I tried. He didn't get a quote from TD as fr as I know.

The problem is he's 18. Insurance is brutal until your in you're 20s. Combine that with an bad postal code and you're going to get $5k+ rates on most bikes. You're only options really are get a 125cc or pay up.
Not sure why it is a bad postal code if you look it up he is in Ayr outside Guelph in a rural area.

Because I put in that I am 54 years old. Full M and have been licensed and insured since I was 16 years old. Hence the low rate.

If you are taking about the Versys 300 that is the price they quoted for him same details as the other 2 bikes I tried. He didn't get a quote from TD as fr as I know.
Oh, I thought the 5533$ was his bike model using his rider profile.

Oh, I thought the 5533$ was his bike model using his rider profile.
It is the price for him not me. All three pics are his profile. The next post was just showing what a dramatic decrease it is with my profile on a Ninja 250.

Thread is titled [resolved] did it say that before?
or guessing he took the 5533$ deal which is only about twice as much as it should be imho.

- Postal code? We all know certain areas of Toronto are the kiss of death for insurance rates.

Postal code is rural KW Region... Likely commuting to Conestoga College, University of Waterloo or Laurier...

They probably want to see it like the U.K. model and see you on a 125 to start and put a great big learner signs on your back, but they should at least Say that and make something affordable to the younglings that Need the real life experience.

If they prove to be bad riders then SOL for riding, become a driver.

They should move to this model (UK) and use that to regulate the insurance companies. Then the actuaries only need to look at any driving history and neighbourhood. Not whether the 18 year old likes launching him or herself into town on a hayabusa. Theft most likely won’t be an issue either unless they develop gold plated 125s. There’d also be a boost to the track day scene if youngsters could get their cc hit there. Boost to more interesting low cc bikes. It would make sure people learn control on forgiving bikes and have better skills as they move up the cc chain.

I don’t honestly see too many downsides.

They should move to this model (UK) and use that to regulate the insurance companies. Then the actuaries only need to look at any driving history and neighbourhood. Not whether the 18 year old likes launching him or herself into town on a hayabusa. Theft most likely won’t be an issue either unless they develop gold plated 125s. There’d also be a boost to the track day scene if youngsters could get their cc hit there. Boost to more interesting low cc bikes. It would make sure people learn control on forgiving bikes and have better skills as they move up the cc chain.

I don’t honestly see too many downsides.
There are no downsides. We should revert to the UK/Australia model.
My uncle in N.Ireland insures 3 bikes with full coverage for $340 per year total. My aunts car insurance is $17 a month full coverage.
Its more difficult to get a car or bike license over there. No young inexperienced person should be able to ride an S1000RR as a first bike.

... No young inexperienced person should be able to ride an S1000RR as a first bike.
Any litre or 600cc sport bike or even 650s for that matter. Atleast SSs are tame in lower to mid RPMs. Nakeds are unforgiving from the get go.

those insurance prices are crazy. I remember paying $450 a year just liability for my 2nd bike when I was 17 and that was for an Goldwing 1100.

My bikes did not even cost that much back in the day, seems crazy to pay more on insurance then the bike is worth.

Yep and then manufacturers sit around scratching their heads as to why sales continue to decline. Insurance costs are definitely the #1 reason why people aren't taking up riding. it doesn't start to make financial sense until 25+.

Back
Top Bottom