replacement OEM v. aftermarket v just glass in mirror?+ should I replace fairing? | GTAMotorcycle.com

replacement OEM v. aftermarket v just glass in mirror?+ should I replace fairing?

ice05

Site Supporter
Hi Guys,

So im an idiot...needed to move the bike out of the way of my car and was on a bit of an incline and left it in neutral instead of gear (I wasnt on it, just holding it on the left side)...I got most of the way down...stopped to let the neigbhbour back up her car...musta nudged the bike a bit because I dropped it on the right side and because I just used my bare hands, didnt have much grip and bike fell :S.

I called the dealer and asked cost of replacing the one (Right Side) mirror on a 250 Ninja... cost is 81+ tax= $91.53?

was looking on ebay and I saw that you can get a pair of aftermarkets shipped and everything for $60.

the casing on the mirror is still intact, just the glass is broken.

So:
1. Is there a place where I can just get replacement glass/mirror and put it back in or is this a bad idea? if its possible where to go (i checked canadian tire but no go)?
2. is OEM worth the fact its double the price for just one?

Also... I damaged the fairing a little...im still a bit of a newb so being realistic...I might (hoping I wont) drop the bike again. Replacement fairing is $376 tax in.
3. Is it worth replacing it now when I know ill keep it for at least this season if not next?

Attachments

• sm r side fairing.jpg
    sm r side fairing.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 49
  • sm empty mirror.jpg
    sm empty mirror.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 42
Hi Guys,

So im an idiot...needed to move the bike out of the way of my car and was on a bit of an incline and left it in neutral instead of gear (I wasnt on it, just holding it on the left side)...I got most of the way down...stopped to let the neigbhbour back up her car...musta nudged the bike a bit because I dropped it on the right side and because I just used my bare hands, didnt have much grip and bike fell :S.

I called the dealer and asked cost of replacing the one (Right Side) mirror on a 250 Ninja... cost is 81+ tax= $91.53?

was looking on ebay and I saw that you can get a pair of aftermarkets shipped and everything for $60.

the casing on the mirror is still intact, just the glass is broken.

So:
1. Is there a place where I can just get replacement glass/mirror and put it back in or is this a bad idea? if its possible where to go (i checked canadian tire but no go)?
2. is OEM worth the fact its double the price for just one?

Also... I damaged the fairing a little...im still a bit of a newb so being realistic...I might (hoping I wont) drop the bike again. Replacement fairing is $376 tax in.
3. Is it worth replacing it now when I know ill keep it for at least this season if not next?
Any competent auto glass shop should be able to replace just the glass.
As for the fairing, there are a number of places that do plastic repair, so you can probably get it fixed for a lot less than a replacement would cost. Search the threads here, the topic has come up a lot.

would I have to bring in the broken glass or they can base it on the shape of the empty mirror?

Simply take your mirror 'unit' to the glass shop, and they'll cut and sand you a new piece to fit.
If you're not in too much of a rush, wait until the students have gone back to school, or make sure someone with experience smooth finishes the replacement mirror, or it will look like **** around the edge with an improper finish.

Repair the fairing yourself! It will be a lot of fun and when you're done, you know what to do next time lol.

Simply take your mirror 'unit' to the glass shop, and they'll cut and sand you a new piece to fit.
thanks for that tip...another question... I was browsing net but couldnt find specifically that service...
should I go to a custom mirror place (like for houses it seems) or something like princess auto? Reason being another poster said go to any decent auto glass place but on their website it doesnt say they custom cut mirrors..just windshields?
would you mind recommending a place if you know one?

Repair the fairing yourself! It will be a lot of fun and when you're done, you know what to do next time lol.
I took a look at the video posted on this http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...=1542993&highlight=fairing+repair#post1542993 ...I sadly dont have the skill or the tools to do it :S by the time I buy all those I might as well have paid for another piece :s

Also with regards to matching the color...do bike dealerships sell paint or do I have to go about it another way?

Last edited:
Reason being another poster said go to any decent auto glass place but on their website it doesnt say they custom cut mirrors..just windshields?
would you mind recommending a place if you know one?

Any Apple Auto Glass, or Speedy Auto Glass etc.

Call them. You are correct - they don't advertise this service.

Try "paint circuit", they are located in Toronto and can do a color match on your paint on the same day or you can go online and look for colorrite, they sell colormatched paint as well.

As for the fairing repair, I didn't look on your website, but there isn't much required... http://brandejs.ca/details.php?view=ninja_500

Any Apple Auto Glass, or Speedy Auto Glass etc.

Call them. You are correct - they don't advertise this service.

thank you will try calling them now...One of the speedy locations I called stated they arent really allowed to cut it but because the mirror that broke was flat...he might be able to do it..its just frowned upon? either way it was $45 for the closest mirror size theyd need to cut down :S

im goin to keep tryin to call around...may resort to hitting up Micheal's the craft store and see if they can do it?

Try "paint circuit", they are located in Toronto and can do a color match on your paint on the same day or you can go online and look for colorrite, they sell colormatched paint as well.

thanks for that! gonna go to them today or tomorrow

Hi ice05, what did you end up doing about the mirror and the fairing? I have the exact same damage on the L side.

thank you will try calling them now...One of the speedy locations I called stated they arent really allowed to cut it but because the mirror that broke was flat...he might be able to do it..its just frowned upon? either way it was $45 for the closest mirror size theyd need to cut down :S

im goin to keep tryin to call around...may resort to hitting up Micheal's the craft store and see if they can do it?

you might try after market mirrors on ebay, picked up a pair for 20$ shipped

I'd go with 2 options..

1) Used OEM mirrors from TO Cycle and I think OCW in the East end sells used bike parts. That's your best bet.

2) Aftermarket for $30-40 shipped from E-bay

I went with aftermarket, and they are pretty decent, look great too. Just needed a bit of extra tightening to make sure they don't vibrate like mofos. If I could do it again, I would have just bought a used YZF mirror to replace the broken one on my Fizzer. Better fit, better view and they still look good (unlike the original Mickey Mouse ears mirros that they put on the FZR).

Back
Top Bottom