Repair (Repolish) Damaged Brake Lever & Exhaust | GTAMotorcycle.com

Repair (Repolish) Damaged Brake Lever & Exhaust

jonathane

just wondering if there is a way of repairing a damaged exhaust and brake lever from a dropped bike, not too bad from the pics shown below, i heard there is a possibility of repolishing it but don't know if that is true or not?

xc4x0k.jpg

263frea.jpg

Lockhart or Targa make a stainless steel exhaust wrap that goes over top of your damaged exhaust and clamps at the back where you can't see the clamps.

As for the lever, it isn't worth the time to repair. New ones can be had for $10-$20

If its really bothering you, just reorder those parts. But being a gs500 its probably destined to fall and touch pavement again.

Replace lever. Brag about cannister.

You'll never get the lever looking just right cuz material has been removed.

and for the effort, it's better to spend like 20 ebay bux and replace.

the reason why i wanted to try and refix them if possible is because next year i was going to sell the bike but didn't know how much i would get back for it seeing as how it has cosmetic damage to it

the reason why i wanted to try and refix them if possible is because next year i was going to sell the bike but didn't know how much i would get back for it seeing as how it has cosmetic damage to it
'

Someone sees the repair, they'll get nervous about the purchase.

Thing about buying and selling motorcycles is that you'll never get the money back. The only objective with replacement parts is to ease the sale.

The lever, replace. The canister, depending on how 'round' the cannister is still, you may be able to save.

Use a jitterbug sander if you have one, and use a medium grit paper to smooth it out. Then move to a super fine grit to get moreso. Then a fine emery paper to polish it out. Problem is you'll have to do the entire can cuz you'll see the difference if you only do that one spot.

Look on ebay, good lever will be less than 10+shipping, exhaust will be a few bucks more and higher shipping.

That actually should be easy enough to polish most of it out. Sand using 400 grit - 2000 grit then high speed polish and your all set. :p

The Jan bike show, i believe you can get a basic polish kit which should help you out. These kits are quite cheap.

Green Scottch brite polishing pad on a air grinder (die grinder don't use an electric) at high speed with light pressure and it will come right out.You have to do the whole can to make it uniform,work in one direction and it will look new.Will also remove very deep scratches if theres enough material,takes 15 minutes.We use it on aluminum and stainless all the time.It will may leave a slight green haze that you have to rub off with by hand if your moving fast enough.With my bike wasn't chrome.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom