Renting a bike in Vegas for a week. Any route suggestions? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Renting a bike in Vegas for a week. Any route suggestions?

Yep, worth it. Not super twisty but very scenic.
This road is out of my way so once we ride up (north) we have to come back down. I'm debating whether to ride this both ways or come south on the 145 slightly west of the San Juan. Thoughts?

This road is out of my way so once we ride up (north) we have to come back down. I'm debating whether to ride this both ways or come south on the 145 slightly west of the San Juan. Thoughts?

Hard to say. One person's "can't miss" is another's "meh".

My opinion is that if you're going to be in the area, it's worth seeing, even if you have to double-back and see all the pretty stuff all over again from a different perspective.

The $MM highway is a road with a nice panoramic view into the valley below, and with no guardrail, you get an unencumbered view over the edge. The scenic portion is about 40 kms long.

If you're making the trip all the way out there just to ride that one road, then I'd say give it a pass. There are so many other roads in California that are closer to Vegas that Colorado itself should be its own separate trip.

Last edited:
Anyone ridden the San Jaun highway (aka Million Dollar highway) in Colorado?
I've read very good things about it and I think we can make it there and back but just (within our week).
Is it worth the detour??
The Million Dollar Highway is gorgeous, but I'd say it's more of a June-Sep destination.

March can be iffy through the high mountains -- I passed thru a full whiteout May blizzard in Telluride a few years back.

HW12 is gonna be a chilli ride in March too - weather in that part of the world isn't much different than here in the . If I were in the SW in the Spring, I'd try some of the interesting southern routes -- there are tons of adventures thru CA and AZ, they will be a lot more comfortable in the spring.

I just came back from Vegas last wk

It’s cold till midday

Plans have changed a little. We're doing a loop out from Phoenix, north to do a southern loop in Utah, (Bryce canyon & Monument valley) swing into SW Colorado to ride the $MM highway then back to Phoenix. More than likely first week of April.

Plans have changed a little. We're doing a loop out from Phoenix, north to do a southern loop in Utah, (Bryce canyon & Monument valley) swing into SW Colorado to ride the $MM highway then back to Phoenix. More than likely first week of April.
Sounds good but check for seasonal closures for high passes (scenic roads) as some can be closed until early -mid May.

Google maps will show which are currently closed.

That's a better option.

Unless you're already there for business or pleasure, Vegas isn't the best place to launch a motorcycle trip from. Although it's smack dab in the middle of all three riding meccas: SoCal, Moab and Flagstaff, it's close to neither of them.

Back
Top Bottom