Registering A Vintage Motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Registering A Vintage Motorcycle

The Bachelor

Site Supporter
Hi!

I purchased a 1964 Ducati Bronco and I am wondering what is required to register? Since it is 55 years old, does it need a safety and to what effect, since it never came with mirrors or blinkers? I have the ownership and the original 1964 plate which I would like to keep and use. The bike runs great, but need your expertise on registering and then finding insurance. Thanks,

Shawn

Railside Performance

Very Nice !
Mirrors are an easy add, last I checked you get a lot of grace on equipment if the bike is period correct legal for the road, but yes it still needs to be mechanically fit and certified, is easy to add a little bit of front and rear side reflective tape. No signals means you will be hand signing all your turns, not a big danger here, huge danger in downtown night traffic.

On insurance the only deal to be had is if you Only ride it to and from vintage sporting events, otherwise you will pay stupid money regularly just like the rest of us.

Same as any other bike.
You need a UVP, signed ownership and a cert.
Getting a cert for a 1964 bike can be a bit of a challange though. Most shops won't want to talk to you about a bike that old.

Being pre 1972 it doesn't need a horn, signals, folding foot pegs, a headlight... all it really needs is to able to stop and have a red light on the back that you can see for 75 meters... most shops don't know that.....

if you're in the west end go see Johnny Bent, 905 273 3717, he'll do a slip for you.
Insurance: Intact or Wawanesa do non standard VINs.
Where is the VIN on the bike? Down tube by the swingarm? Berliner Bros brought the bike in.
Do you know Rick Cavello? You should.

Same as any other bike.
You need a UVP, signed ownership and a cert.
Getting a cert for a 1964 bike can be a bit of a challange though. Most shops won't want to talk to you about a bike that old.

Being pre 1972 it doesn't need a horn, signals, folding foot pegs, a headlight... all it really needs is to able to stop and have a red light on the back that you can see for 75 meters... most shops don't know that.....

if you're in the west end go see Johnny Bent, 905 273 3717, he'll do a slip for you.
Insurance: Intact or Wawanesa do non standard VINs.
Where is the VIN on the bike? Down tube by the swingarm? Berliner Bros brought the bike in.
Do you know Rick Cavello? You should.
Yes,Covello knows his vintage stuff.Just don't lend him anything. :p

Thanks for the help and encouragement guys.
Thanks for the info and that answers my question about having no mirrors or blinkers which are not even listed in the owners manual or parts manual.The headlight works and so does the taillight. The vin is on the engine and do Canadian vintage bikes also have it on the frame since I heard they may not and I do not see it? I will contact Cavello and is Johnny Bent from Bent bikes? He fixed a gixxer rim for me about 15 years ago.

The toughest think I have faced when registering vintage bikes is finding the persion inside a Service Ontario that knows how to handle antique VINs, otherwise it's the same as registering any other bike. You will need UVIP or if the bike is imported, all the requisite customs paperwork and original ownership documents.

As for certification, most shops that deal with custom builds will know how to certify antique bikes. I have used Authentic Custom Cycle in Markham to certify a 71 Suzuki TC125 Prospector and 69 Triumph TR25w. I believe the bike must have OE (or equivalent) signals, lights and footpegs if they were included in the basic Canadian OE setup in the year of the bike. I recall a surprise where I had to install a battery (bike was configured with a cap) because that's the way Triumph sold the bike originally and all running lights had to operate to OE spec for the year. I was told those were the rules -- not sure if other shops will interpret things differently.

Dalton Timins will insure. If you want the really cheap ($200/year) classic insurance, see Dalton Timmins will arrange such however the bike needs a certified appraiser to document the bike.

Hi!

I purchased a 1964 Ducati Bronco and I am wondering what is required to register? Since it is 55 years old, does it need a safety and to what effect, since it never came with mirrors or blinkers? I have the ownership and the original 1964 plate which I would like to keep and use. The bike runs great, but need your expertise on registering and then finding insurance. Thanks,

Shawn

Railside Performance

Last edited:
Is the 1964 plate a year of manufacture plate or just a vintage plate? If it's just a vintage plate, good luck to you. Transferring an old plate number to a new owner is not easily done.

Is the 1964 plate a year of manufacture plate or just a vintage plate? If it's just a vintage plate, good luck to you. Transferring an old plate number to a new owner is not easily done.
Not sure exactly the difference. It has numbers like a regular plate but has 1964 on the top right with no stickers and it is the old white and black lettering.

Back
Top Bottom