Ready to ride----------> | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ready to ride---------->

Longest period I didn't ride last winter was 3 weeks from December 28'th (when winter actually arrived) until the third week of January when it returned to totally rideable conditions again. Other then that I was going through a tank of gas at least once every week or two...which all things considered wasn't bad. ;)

I booked the motorcycle training course for the first weekend in April, hope it's a bit warmer by then but all things considered I just want to ride (don't have my own bike yet). Looking forward to it even if it's chilly.

I booked the motorcycle training course for the first weekend in April, hope it's a bit warmer by then but all things considered I just want to ride (don't have my own bike yet). Looking forward to it even if it's chilly.

reschedule if you can, i did my'n last April...it was -5 all weekend, you spend 8 hours a day out there in the cold, and most people dont have winter gear.

If you fail its $500 down the drain

Most people find it hard to follow their (sometimes poorly given) instructions in the freezing cold, when as a beginner your expected to learn how to feather the clutch, learn fine motor skills when you cant even feel your fingers

Last edited:
Looking forward to it even if it's chilly.

If it's uncomfortable (as it may very well be the first week of April) you might not feel that way after the first day when you're frozen. Bigpoppa's advice might not be a bad idea unless you're planning to go and invest in proper winter gear. Your hands will be the first thing to freeze and your feet will be next. If your core starts to chill after that you'll be downright miserable by lunch both days...and lunch is the ONLY opportunity you have to get inside and warmup. Both days are absolutely jam packed from start to finish and there's zero opportunity to get off the bikes and warmup aside from lunch.

reschedule if you can, i did my'n last April...it was -5 all weekend, you spend 8 hours a day out there in the cold, and most people dont have winter gear.

If you fail its $500 down the drain

Most people find it hard to follow their (sometimes poorly given) instructions in the freezing cold, when as a beginner your expected to learn how to feather the clutch, learn fine motor skills when you cant even feel your fingers

Most do allow at least 1 retest, so if someone fails they could always wait a few more weeks and try again. That said, if there is no penalty and there is still availability in May, that would be the safer month to take it.

Actually looking back I got extremely lucky...I did mine the first week of April a number of years back, and it was around 4c in the mornings, and about 10c in the afternoons.

Most do allow at least 1 retest

For a fee. Fail a second time and most make you start over again with the full course, at full cost.

It wasn't me, but it was someone I know, so I'm talking from experience. This was at Centennial, but I think most of the college locations operate similarly.

If it's uncomfortable (as it may very well be the first week of April) you might not feel that way after the first day when you're frozen. Bigpoppa's advice might not be a bad idea unless you're planning to go and invest in proper winter gear. Your hands will be the first thing to freeze and your feet will be next. If your core starts to chill after that you'll be downright miserable by lunch both days...and lunch is the ONLY opportunity you have to get inside and warmup. Both days are absolutely jam packed from start to finish and there's zero opportunity to get off the bikes and warmup aside from lunch.

Yeah I've been planning on buying and have already purchased some winter gear, and I've been snowboarding for years so I have a some experience staying warm. I could probably reschedule if I wanted to but I don't think I'm going to. It's RTI and from what I've heard they allow a retest, not sure how much they charge for that but hopefully won't need it. I'll definitely post what happens when the time comes.

Last edited:
That retest should be of no charge, unless something changed in the past 4 years! But I don't remember if having to take it the following week was a suggestion or a requirement.

Yeah I've been planning on buying and have already purchased some winter gear, and I've been snowboarding for years so I have a some experience staying warm. I could probably reschedule if I wanted to but I don't think I'm going to. It's RTI and from what I've heard they allow a retest, not sure how much they charge for that but hopefully won't need it. I'll definitely post what happens when the time comes.

Keep in mind too although things like thicker gloves will keep your hands warmer, they are also typically bulkier, meaning it reduces you dexterity. I have winter/cold weather riding gloves but still put up with my summer gloves as long as I can, just to avoid having marshmellows for fingers.

I sold my GSXR because I was planning to quit for 5 years in September. I started acting like a 70 old racist Chinese grandpa with a shotgun so my gf helped me buy my buddy's RSV1000R.....at the end of November.

I am now entering grandpa with shotgun stage again :violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

油井緋色;2474812 said:
I sold my GSXR because I was planning to quit for 5 years in September. I started acting like a 70 old racist Chinese grandpa with a shotgun so my gf helped me buy my buddy's RSV1000R.....at the end of November.

I am now entering grandpa with shotgun stage again :violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

At this stage i think you need HELP....you live in the wrong country..winter..winter->> you know the way it is in here..get use to it!!:D

Keep in mind the rescheduling will cost you nothing,(0$) all that talk about "I know how to stay warm" or "I played (Hockey/snowboard/swam to titanic)" goes out the window when your freezing for 8 hours, for 2 days straight, cant feel your fingers/feet/neck/chest, are expected to follow the complex instructions to the LETTER, and not fail(They grade you for every moment during the exam). As a beginner its a bad combination. You'll be much happier and learn more if you do it in more comfortable temperatures(over 10 Celsius is good)

Oh i believe the retest is 50$, if you fail again, they tell you to **** off, and pay 500$ again.

油井緋色;2474812 said:

Your gf sounds awesome lol

Keep in mind too although things like thicker gloves will keep your hands warmer, they are also typically bulkier, meaning it reduces you dexterity. I have winter/cold weather riding gloves but still put up with my summer gloves as long as I can, just to avoid having marshmellows for fingers.

On the flip side, I did my training in the middle of August last summer. Hot was an understatement.

But as a plumber, I've spent my fair share of time working in the cold and the only thing that saves you, is the fact that you are moving around and generating heat. 8 hours sitting on a bike at zero degrees is going to suck no matter which way you slice it. I'd dress in multiple layers and possibly even grab some of those chemical hand warmers. Better, yet. Resked it later in the season as others have suggested.

And at Riders Training Institue, there is one free retest with the course.

Cheers,
EZTRGT
Kyle

I just tore my bike down tonight. On the list: valve check, plugs, clean air box and throttle bodies, sync throttle bodies, air filter, oil change, front and rear pads and caliper service, clean/adjust chain, fork service, install fuse block and rewire accy's, add USB port, and a general cleaning.
9d464dc3cd0579d4248d73a8174f1393.jpg

193d0b88955c0f3c11699a9863d0650a.jpg

a90646aaa6452130441205398488bc88.jpg

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

On the flip side, I did my training in the middle of August last summer. Hot was an understatement.

But as a plumber, I've spent my fair share of time working in the cold and the only thing that saves you, is the fact that you are moving around and generating heat. 8 hours sitting on a bike at zero degrees is going to suck no matter which way you slice it. I'd dress in multiple layers and possibly even grab some of those chemical hand warmers. Better, yet. Resked it later in the season as others have suggested.

And at Riders Training Institue, there is one free retest with the course.

Cheers,
EZTRGT
Kyle

Was planning on investing in a decent amount of those hand warmers and putting a few in my jacket, too. I have a lot of quality winter clothes for layering too so that'll help. Good to hear about the free retest at RTI though.

Back
Top Bottom