Race Plan | GTAMotorcycle.com

Race Plan

RacerX

So I'm planning on racing next season, but I haven't put down a concrete plan.

I'm thinking of joining an organization like SOAR (unaware of any others in the region) and maybe do the Racer5 program or a better one if available and then go out there and see what I can do.

All advice/suggestions are welcome.

PS. Based in the GTA.

RACE series at Shannonville

SOAR at Grand Bend

Both great series.

If you do the course with Racer5 you can also do their endurance race series using their bikes. It's not full out competitive and it's a good option if you just want to work on racecraft and don't want to buy, prep, store and transport your own dedicated race bike.

If you do the course with Racer5 you can also do their endurance race series using their bikes. It's not full out competitive and it's a good option if you just want to work on racecraft and don't want to buy, prep, store and transport your own dedicated race bike.

Came across it on their website, will look into it too, thanks.

Everything else being equal, I think learning to ride at Shannonville will make you a better rider. If you can go fast at Shannonville you can go fast anywhere.

Appreciate the feedback, but why is that? More technical of a track or mastering the sketchy surface makes you better or...?

Appreciate the feedback, but why is that? More technical of a track or mastering the sketchy surface makes you better or...?

It has every type of corner and combo you can imagine (other than elevation) and it’s not easy to figure out.

Corner 4b....

If we’re gonna talk about Shannonville long track.

Don’t let 1, 3, 4a, 4b, 7, 10 (Fabi 1) or the chicane bite you.

Since the original poster says he has no plan, I'm assuming he has nothing other than knowing how to operate a motorcycle.

Fundamentally, you have to take a course to get your roadracing license. Racer5 and FAST are the best choices because you will also get some riding instruction and you can rent one of their bikes. RACE has their own school (and so does VRRA) but you are more on your own and you use your own bike. Once you have taken and passed one of these courses then you can purchase your novice/rookie racing license and then off you go.

Speaking of bike ... you will need one. Do you have one? Do you know what classes you want to run? This is where you look at the rulebook of the organisation where you want to race, and you do a bit of research into which class.

Scheduling ... Those schools won't be running over the winter, so if you want to race next year, you will have to get the bike sorted first, and sign up for the school over the winter; this means that you will have a bike by the time the school runs, so it's not really an advantage to use the school's rental bike. It's better to use your own.

Corner 4b....

If we’re gonna talk about Shannonville long track.

Don’t let 1, 3, 4a, 4b, 7, 10 (Fabi 1) or the chicane bite you.

Gotcha.

Since the original poster says he has no plan, I'm assuming he has nothing other than knowing how to operate a motorcycle.

Fundamentally, you have to take a course to get your roadracing license. Racer5 and FAST are the best choices because you will also get some riding instruction and you can rent one of their bikes. RACE has their own school (and so does VRRA) but you are more on your own and you use your own bike. Once you have taken and passed one of these courses then you can purchase your novice/rookie racing license and then off you go.

Speaking of bike ... you will need one. Do you have one? Do you know what classes you want to run? This is where you look at the rulebook of the organisation where you want to race, and you do a bit of research into which class.

Scheduling ... Those schools won't be running over the winter, so if you want to race next year, you will have to get the bike sorted first, and sign up for the school over the winter; this means that you will have a bike by the time the school runs, so it's not really an advantage to use the school's rental bike. It's better to use your own.

Yup I already have a track prepped R6, I have taken a look at the CSBK rule book as well as SOAR's (which is much more lenient) and know what I will be allowed to run. I don't want to waste time doing trackways, I want to jump into a school first and then maybe do a few trackways before racing.

Regarding the school; FAST is about $500 more than Racer5 but then again it's 4 levels with FAST compared to 3 with Racer5, I'm not sure which has better quality coaching though. None of the schools have anything up related to the 2019 season yet, which is understandable.

Attaboy. Jump right in! What year is the R6?

Have you done any track days at all? (mostly to determine if you know how to function on a race track)

The RACE school is mostly about knowing what the flags mean, what the various procedures are, and a relatively basic check that you are not going to be dangerous out there. It's not so much about riding technique.

The levels of FAST or Racer5 aren't important at this point ... if you haven't done a track school before, you will be taking Level 1 with either one. That will be enough to qualify you to purchase your racing license. Whether you want to take additional levels, is up to you. The higher levels normally presume that you have a certain level of experience.

I wouldn't even attempt to run CSBK until you cut your teeth at the regional level.

Gotcha.

Yup I already have a track prepped R6, I have taken a look at the CSBK rule book as well as SOAR's (which is much more lenient) and know what I will be allowed to run. I don't want to waste time doing trackways, I want to jump into a school first and then maybe do a few trackways before racing.

Regarding the school; FAST is about $500 more than Racer5 but then again it's 4 levels with FAST compared to 3 with Racer5, I'm not sure which has better quality coaching though. None of the schools have anything up related to the 2019 season yet, which is understandable.

Nice! Go straight for racing. You'll progress being around those types quicker than just doing track days.

FAST and Racer5 are fairly comparable. Think the biggest difference is being able to use your own bike with FASt, which obviously would help with comfort.

Keep CSBK as a long term (or maybe short term?) goal until you're comfortable at either SOAR/G.B. or RACE/Shannonville. It's not realistic to jump from rec league sports to AAA league.

Attaboy. Jump right in! What year is the R6?

Have you done any track days at all? (mostly to determine if you know how to function on a race track)

The RACE school is mostly about knowing what the flags mean, what the various procedures are, and a relatively basic check that you are not going to be dangerous out there. It's not so much about riding technique.

The levels of FAST or Racer5 aren't important at this point ... if you haven't done a track school before, you will be taking Level 1 with either one. That will be enough to qualify you to purchase your racing license. Whether you want to take additional levels, is up to you. The higher levels normally presume that you have a certain level of experience.

I wouldn't even attempt to run CSBK until you cut your teeth at the regional level.

Nice! Go straight for racing. You'll progress being around those types quicker than just doing track days.

FAST and Racer5 are fairly comparable. Think the biggest difference is being able to use your own bike with FAST, which obviously would help with comfort.

Keep CSBK as a long term (or maybe short term?) goal until you're comfortable at either SOAR/G.B. or RACE/Shannonville. It's not realistic to jump from rec league sports to AAA league.

Appreciate the support immensley guys.

Yup, I want to absorb as much as possible and climb the ladder at a fast albeit gradual pace. Agreed, I think going the FAST route would be better since I can use my bike and don't have to get trapped on a 125 for 2 or 3 levels. Will probably do level 1 and 2 with FAST then grab the license and go racing with SOAR and/or RACE if I can afford it. I haven't done any trackdays but I'm aware of track etiquette ex. staying off the racing line, putting my hand up when needed, making safe passes and riding predictably.

I'll keep CSBK as a short term goal because I'm that hungry, but there is no point in entering and becoming a back marker either. So I'll make the transition when I'm ready.

"...don't have to get trapped on a 125...."

You will learn a LOT more about decreasing your lap times on that 125 than your R6.

"...don't have to get trapped on a 125...."

You will learn a LOT more about decreasing your lap times on that 125 than your R6.

I'm an easy 220LBS without gear. I have ridden as low as 70cc bikes before and don't discredit the learning potential on lower cc bikes. I'm confident that I'm at a point where I can learn and absorb well on a 600. I appreciate the feedback though.

Last edited:
Gotcha.

Pro 6 Cycle has a race school as well, typically run on the May long weekend. The curriculum looks into bike set up as well as riding techniques. There are a couple of optional seminars in the evening for those interested in road racing.

I'm an easy 220LBS without gear. I have ridden as low as 70cc bikes before and don't discredit the learning potential on lower cc bikes. I'm confident that I'm at a point where I can learn and absorb well on a 600. I appreciate the feedback though.

FAST should also have every 600 in its stable and SV650s

Back
Top Bottom