R 1200 GS Water cooled problems | GTAMotorcycle.com

R 1200 GS Water cooled problems

Icbones

Site Supporter
Hey

Has anyone that has bought a 2013 or later BMW 1200GS experienced any issues with it? I have had a front brake reservoir leak, cruise control activation switch failure, and not one but two blown output shaft seals. The bike has been at the dealer since March 31. After speaking with Colin, Stephan and Sage at BMW Canada, it is apparent that BMW has no concern over their bike coating the rear tire with engine oil. To tell the truth, I can honestly say I'm not to impressed with the so-called BMW buying experience.

I dont know how many kms but perhaps you got a lemon. For that much money perhaps you could suggest an exchange to a replacement bike.

Have they given you a loaner? I would never buy a new model bimmer, sorry--- for this exact reason.

I had a 2005 GS which was in the second year of that model evolution and they still abandoned the powered abs in 2 years.

Go to the ADV forum they have tons of those owners.

BB

Not that I like Twitter but sometimes posting your experience with the correct hashtag and asking for a resolution gets a quicker response and something more customer oriented from the company involved.

I dont know how many kms but perhaps you got a lemon. For that much money perhaps you could suggest an exchange to a replacement bike.

Have they given you a loaner? I would never buy a new model bimmer, sorry--- for this exact reason.

I had a 2005 GS which was in the second year of that model evolution and they still abandoned the powered abs in 2 years.

Go to the ADV forum they have tons of those owners.

BB

Posted there also. There are 143 pages of complaints. Many of them the same as mine. I haven't scrolled through all of them, but a few have said their engines were replaced when the seal failed. Those owners were not in Canada. I was hoping to hear from some owners in Ontario to see if they have had similar issues.

Not that I like Twitter but sometimes posting your experience with the correct hashtag and asking for a resolution gets a quicker response and something more customer oriented from the company involved.

Thanks JC. Once I get one of my younger co-workers to tell what Twitter is I will follow your advice;)

Just posted this on Transport Canada Facebook

Has anyone that has bought a 2013 or later BMW 1200GS experienced any issues with it? I have had a front brake reservoir leak, cruise control activation switch failure, and not one but two blown output shaft seals. Considering there was a Transport Canada issued recall (# 2013040) the seal should have never bown the first time. The bike has been at the dealer since March 31. After speaking with Colin, Stephan and Sage at BMW Canada, it is apparent that BMW has no concern over their bike coating the rear tire with engine oil. Can Transport Canada maybe issue another recall?

I'll never understand the BMW reputation, cars or bikes. It was historically based relative to other cars in the 70s, but today they are mediocre.

I almost bought an F800S until I read up about major issues BMW has ignored about the rear axle bearings, there are many YouTube videos about this.
Eventually BMW issued a recall, about 6 years later. Just goes to show you do not always get what you pay for.

There's all these thousands of customers they have and the particular bike R1200GS water cooled, best selling bike in the world over 250cc, and then you have all these posts and articles about the reliability issues ... makes you scratch your head, doesn't it?

There's all these thousands of customers they have and the particular bike R1200GS water cooled, best selling bike in the world over 250cc, and then you have all these posts and articles about the reliability issues ... makes you scratch your head, doesn't it?
Sales mean nothing. Look at how many people bought GM cars, even after the bailout, 5 years later, same crap.

I own a Bimmer for 5 years now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Great bikes.

That's not helpful. Sometimes you get a lemon. The company should do what ever it takes to make it right.

Being a long time rider of various brands of Japanese bikes, but appreciating German engineered cars and bikes and having the funds, I decided to treat myself and buy the über-motorrad (ultimate bike). So I did research on snagging a BMW and the more I looked at various forums, the more complaints I saw on BMW. Some were long-time BMW owners and had switched to Japanese bikes and were very satisfied with these very dependable bikes having relatively low maintenance frequency and cost.

That research led me away from BMW and I could not have been more pleased with my purchase of another Japanese bike. I now have the conclusion that both their bikes and their cars are over-engineered thus giving increased opportunity for parts to fail or requiring much attention/adjustment. Just thumb through a 2013 1200GS owner's manual as I recently had the chance, and you will be stunned at how complicated those machines really are.

Sales mean nothing. Look at how many people bought GM cars, even after the bailout, 5 years later, same crap.

That's the thing ... do you think people are stopping or will stop buying GM cars? (more probable is that GM will be out of business should they continue having to recall as many vehicles moving forward). They are not and will not ... the same with BMW bikes

I own a Bimmer for 5 years now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Great bikes.

OMG!!! 5 years later and you're still using the wrong name! It's Beemer for bikes and Bimmer for cars. Get it right or trade that bike in, you don't deserve it. :)

I have to go lay down now I'm so upset! :)

Last edited:
Hey

Has anyone that has bought a 2013 or later BMW 1200GS experienced any issues with it? I have had a front brake reservoir leak, cruise control activation switch failure, and not one but two blown output shaft seals. The bike has been at the dealer since March 31. After speaking with Colin, Stephan and Sage at BMW Canada, it is apparent that BMW has no concern over their bike coating the rear tire with engine oil. To tell the truth, I can honestly say I'm not to impressed with the so-called BMW buying experience.

To put things simply: BMW's are not the bike people think they are. Their reputation for reliability is as undeserved as Ducati's is for unreliability. It's the seductive power of the roundell that's the driving force behind their sales and loyalty, certainly not their record for dependability. Case in point: The shaft drive R23 was built in 1932, and they STILL can't get shaft drive right. :)

All that being said, there are still some models I would consider buying. Their parts availability is the best in the industry. You can still get OME parts for 25+ year old bikes many times. They have a huge world wide following and there are any number of helpful and knowledgeable owners around the world who you can count on if you need help. They are steeped in a rich pedigree and some of their bikes are just plain beautiful be they "classic" or brand new. But...they're simply not the bike people think they are. If I buy one, I'd be going in with my eyes open, not my head in the clouds. That way, if I start getting problems, I will be "ready" for them.

Like Ducati, and Harley, one needs to be "ready", as in committed, for BMW ownership. Riders who want to "try" them, after X amount of years on Japanese bikes, are often disillusioned and not happy. You have to "buy in" in more ways than one for some brands. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom