Quick Shifter - Thoughts? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quick Shifter - Thoughts?

Quick shifter = shifting without a clutch
Clutchless shifting = shifting without a clutch

Seems kinda related... no? 🤷‍♂️
100% agree, please continue. 👍

In order not to make @Jampy00 more hangry about hijacking his thread, I'll leave it up to the rest of GTAM to do their own Google searches on why clutchless upshiting and pre-loading the shifter is not harmful to the transmission.

There are literally hundreds of links and videos, both research-based and first-person anecdotal.
Always looking out for me..
But please continue this discussion as long as it is constructive I am sure it will be helpful.

My new Monster has it both up & down and the up is only worthwhile when running hard and the revs are mid to high ... otherwise it's just clunky unless it's 5th to 6th, it's smooth. The higher the gear the smoother it is.

It will downshift to first but I rarely do.

Again, when accelerating hard the non-stop rush is lotsa fun but if it's not on the bike already, I don't think I'd pay more than $500 for it.

You can turn it off in the menus or just choose when to use it and when not too - I chose the latter.

owned a few up and down QS bikes including the current super duke, love it. can always manual blip when the mood hits you, but it makes riding spirited that much more enjoyable (imo)

$600 extra is annoying but hardly precedent setting; as previously mentioned it's usually included in top trim packages of various models. On the SuperDuke for example the hardware comes installed but they charge you $1000 to unlock the software for it (packaged in with other shizzle), THAT would bug me..but i got them to include it in the deal.

owned a few up and down QS bikes including the current super duke, love it. can always manual blip when the mood hits you, but it makes riding spirited that much more enjoyable (imo)

$600 extra is annoying but hardly precedent setting; as previously mentioned it's usually included in top trim packages of various models. On the SuperDuke for example the hardware comes installed but they charge you $1000 to unlock the software for it (packaged in with other shizzle), THAT would bug me..but i got them to include it in the deal.
Interesting, I thought the price was crazy, but it seems to be pretty average based on your reply.

My new Monster has it both up & down and the up is only worthwhile when running hard and the revs are mid to high ... otherwise it's just clunky unless it's 5th to 6th, it's smooth. The higher the gear the smoother it is.

It will downshift to first but I rarely do.

Again, when accelerating hard the non-stop rush is lotsa fun but if it's not on the bike already, I don't think I'd pay more than $500 for it.

You can turn it off in the menus or just choose when to use it and when not too - I chose the latter.

I've used QS from a variety of manufacturers. Some are amazing, others not so good.

I find the BMW R-bike QS is the clunkiest. It works better in the higher gears and really needs the throttle completely off for downshifts and WOT for upshifts.

Ducati is a bit better, but still clunky in low gears.

Was really surprised at how good the KTM/Husky QS is. 2->1 downshifts still smooth and will upshift and downshift well with good auto-blips all over the rev range. Very impressed.

Interesting, I thought the price was crazy, but it seems to be pretty average based on your reply.

Very surprised Harley didn't include this, especially since you got the top tier Pan Am "Special". Did yours come with the Ride Height Adjustment or is that also an additional option?

I've used QS from a variety of manufacturers. Some are amazing, others not so good.

I find the BMW R-bike QS is the clunkiest. It works better in the higher gears and really needs the throttle completely off for downshifts and WOT for upshifts.

Was really surprised at how good the KTM/Husky QS is. 2->1 downshifts still smooth and will upshift and downshift well with good auto-blips all over the rev range. Very impressed.

Very surprised Harley didn't include this, especially since you got the top tier Pan Am "Special". Did yours come with the Ride Height Adjustment or is that also an additional option?
Yes I have every standard option as well as the ARH system (which is an option). The quick shifter did not come out for the 2021 model year and for some reason does not work on the 2021's I believe it came out in the middle of the 22 year so perhaps that is why it was never considered as standard equipment. That and it's a HD...

Your approach to the quick shifter is the same as mine would be. How much? Worth it to me? Pay up or move on.

And like Bigpoppa I get my shorts in a twist when I have to pay to "unlock" features that are present already, but if I want to play I guess I must pay.

As for clutchless shifts, I've done up and down on all the bikes I've ever owned except the Harley. It just didn't want to and I couldn't find that sweet spot where it would.

I've even done it on a 1974 Capri when my clutch cable broke and a 1979 F250 just to prove I could.

It's not really necessary or something I make a practice of on the road, but it was second nature on my KTM 300 2 stroke. At the same time I've never preloaded the shifter and see no reason to do so. Actually I don't see a reason to shift without the clutch either on the road.

In my experience the upshift really wants you to be adding throttle, around town 1-2 can be especially difficult if you're just puttering.

sometimes a flash will fix it, brentune flashes for example tend to make it all very snappy.

$600? I'd say take my money and put it on. I can shift just fine without the clutch but you can't do it with the throttle on or nearly as fast as a proper QS. Not only does it sound great and shift faster but carry a passenger and they'll appreciate the smoothness also.
My current BMW is my first bike with one and I love it (the stage 3 Bren tune quickens those shifts also) but given the option I'd have one on every bike I own (or will own).

I have a QS on my KTM Adventure r and usually turn it off on dirt tracks as I dont want to accidently shift when not wanted.I dont think I would miss the QS at all on the road,but it can be nice I guess if your clutch hand gets crampy at the end of a long days ride.I do enjoy using the clutch and rev matching my shifts though.

My MT09 has QS up and down standard, it’s a blast to bang up through the gears, downshifting is easy and depending on bike use easier to get down speed quick
Grab the brake and downshift no rev matching needed.
Upshifting 1-2 is clunking with it so I use the clutch but the rest are buttery and down from 6-1 is flawless 👍

I have one. They aren't necessary.

I had to change the way I shift to use it.
Basically, I would prime the shifter, roll off some throttle, clutch in, shift, start rolling throttle on as I release the clutch smoothly.
With the quick shifter on an upshift, you can't roll off the throttle or it won't shift.
I haven't used it on a rapid or sudden downshift, but it might work fine.

On the Tiger, some people are on their third one supposedly under warranty, within a couple of years. Not sure if it's the QS or them..

My 2019 Tracer GT has an upshift only QS. I use it occasionally. IMHO, for the type of riding I do 95% of the time don't need it.

I must say that in the super twisties like you find in WV and southern OH an up and down QS would be nice to have.

Back
Top Bottom