Question regarding an 2002 R6...potential purchase | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question regarding an 2002 R6...potential purchase

silvrsurfr

I found an old 'barn find'. Its history is completely verified.

2002 R6 - been sitting since 2003. Was bought brand new, rode one season, never left the garage there after. Has approx 3,000km's on it.

I understand it would need a complete service - fuels, oils, etc. Most likely new tires, only beacuse the rubber compound would have worn sitting for so long.

What do you think a fair cost/price would be for this?

(funny side story - there were 2 identical brand new 2002 R6's purchased at the same time however, over the years the 2nd one was parted out for the cosmetics, so the frame, engine, etc are still there. hmmm...wonder what the value on that one would be)

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Definitely new tires. Pretty sure they will be way past the allowed age.

A sitting vehicle that acquires no mileage for such a long time is just as much a gamble as the same age vehicle with incredibly high mileage.

I'd pick the high mileage one for the fact that parts have been moving and going through their cycles.
Gaskets and seals can dry out as well as a number of other things.

It's still worth considering if the price is right. Given the abundance of well maintained 02 R6's out there at the 3k price point, i'd probably cap out at 1500-1600$ personally, simply due to the fact it needs a lot of maintenance work before you even turn the motor.

Hopefully it comes with a few spare transmissions, unless ofcourse you dont mind not using second gear

Hopefully it comes with a few spare transmissions, unless of course you dont mind not using second gear

Yup second gear was a serious issue with the second gen (2001-2002). Try to find a third gen (2003-2006). Much better tranny.

Another benefit to the second gen is fuel injection.

I have an 03 with 46000kms now, still runs great. Since March i've done 13000 so far. I do spend time maintaining the machine though and have replaced many things as part of maintenance.

Battery, fluids, carb cleaning and service......clean out the rat's nests in the airbox...new filters, tires, fork oil.
You will spend a grand getting it running.

LMK about the cosmetically challenged one please.

Back
Top Bottom