Question for you bicycle peeps | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question for you bicycle peeps

short stop

Site Supporter
Bear with me, I'm just starting to get back into cycling, which isn't something I've really done since I was a kid. I recently decided I wanted to commute by bicycle to work - headed to the bike shop, told the saleperson what I needed, and I ended up going home with road bike within my price range (Escape 2 womens'). Nice bike so far, and does the job nicely

Since then I've taken some work-related bike training (mountain bike), and thought maybe I'd eventually like to be able to hit some trails. Nothing hardcore, but be able to hit dirt/gravel trails, off the beaten path, etc. My current bike obviously isn't made for that: skinny 29" tires and no front shocks.

I guess my question is: is it a realistic option to *modify* my current bike i.e. install front shocks, maybe get some more suitable tires, etc. Or am I better off just buying a 2nd bike?

Last edited:
Many World Cup cross-country mountain bike events were won on rigid forks..there's nothing saying you have to have them. Depending on your frame clearance, you might be able to get some half-decent 29er tires on there and be just fine for your typical hard-pack off-road stuff. It all depends on what you're looking for. You can modify your bike to accept suspension forks but I'm not sure I'd bother until you figure out exactly how hard-core you need to go. I probably would have gone for a half-decent hard-tail mountain bike and put slicks on it for city riding personally..but that horse left the barn already!! :)

Thomas Frischknecht..1993...I think..
1211398200Frischknecht,%20Thomas.JPG

Like invictus said, suspension isn't a prerequisite for riding offroad, even riding rough trails. I have 10 mountain bikes, and 7 of them have rigid forks. It's all down to finesse and picking lines.

As far as your Giant goes, it is more oriented to commuting/city riding (frame geometry, riding position+set-up. tires/wheels/gearing). Anything more than a gravel cart path and it will be less than underwhelming. There are lots of used mountain bikes on kijiji, and a decent, functional real off road capable bike can be had for cheap (picked up a Norco Bigfoot for my co-worker's wife for $40 on kijiji a few weeks ago). If you want, I can keep my eyes peeled for something for you (height/inseam will help).

And if you want to go out and try a trail ride some time, let me know. I've got everything from a 14" Kona to a 20" GT (and everything in between) hanging in the garage. I'm sure one of them would fit you.

As far as your Giant goes, it is more oriented to commuting/city riding (frame geometry, riding position+set-up. tires/wheels/gearing). Anything more than a gravel cart path and it will be less than underwhelming.

Yeah, well put. The hybrid-style bikes I find put you too high-up and too over the front. They tend to steer under too quickly and you end up plowing the front in. They're fine for a dirt/limestone path that's been constructed well or some very good/fast hard-pack. But if you want to step-up to some more serious off-road stuff you'll quickly find that bike difficult to ride, especially if your skill level is lower. I just built up a Jamis Durango 29er and I even find that bike to be a bit too over the front for some stuff.

truthfully, i think you want a second bike. you can spend a whack to modify and equip an existing bike and its still a comprimise.
a good rigid frame is better than a crappy suspension bike, the forks on asian import bikes that you see at walmart are just awful and wont make your offroad adventure better.

IMHO an average bike now is a better bike than a high end bike of 20 yrs ago. I have a couple bikes, they have different role. My go fast bike is just that ( when somebody else pedals), my ride to the grocer bike is an old beater with panniers than you dont need to lock, my off road bike is a vintage Miele that i love, its not all tricked out but its bullet proof. Ending the day with brakes and gears all working is way more important to me than the cool factor (i'm old)

Different horses for different courses.....

Thanks for the replies, guys. :) FMJ - I was also thinking of Craigslist/Kijiji in case I can find some a decent but used bike. AFAIK I have a 26-27" inseam (short lady), and I don't even know the frame size of my Giant (the sizes came in XS, S, M, etc. I'm XS). I have a general idea of which brands are reputable, and maybe I'll post up a few in the future and get your ideas.

You'd ride a 14-15" in nominal size. The Trek is a bit short in the top tube. There are better deals out there. I'll have a look through kijiji when I get to work.

That thing is a pile..wait to see what FMJ digs up for you.

So, I ended up getting:

248740_10150640767175107_817555106_19009928_527872_n.jpg

as recommended by FMJ. It is still rigid-mount, but I figured I'd rather get a quality ride and then upgrade as necessary. Obviously the bike isn't new, but the components are good and everything seems really clean. And most importantly: it fits me. I'd even wager to say I could've gone a bit bigger. I'm taking it to the parks tomorrow for a test run! :happy7:

Back
Top Bottom