Question about Track Bikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about Track Bikes

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the insights and responses. It appears the wise move would be to sell the VFR and find something for the track (For some reason, I was thinking this all along, but didn't want to admit it.. Emotional attachment and all that... It is a pretty heavy bike though...)

Brian P, thanks for the pointers about the 675. Having ridden the GSXR600 and ZX6R for track days, I thought it might be neat to try something else. And yeah, parts availability is one of the concerns I have (Triumph seems to have a very small dealer network around these parts). The other ride I was thinking about was a 2006 or later GSXR (Gotta have my slipper clutch, haha).

I also guess that any maintenance / mod work I do on the bike will have to be tested on my driveway, haha. I dont want to risk getting into any mishaps or encountering a police officer. I suppose I could start it and make sure no fluids exploded out of unattached hoses and such.

I'm planning on taking mine to a shopping mall parking lot when its closed, if I need to check anything out. Its private property so the owners would need to come out and ask you to leave. Worst you'd get is a trespass warning.

Or a careless (or dangerous) driving ticket and potentially a street racing from any cop that saw you. The lot is not gated and is public access so they can give you lots of tickets. It's just not worth it to drive uninsured vehicles on property where you haven't been given express permission (and with proper access control like a track). Risking thousands in fines for a boring ride where you determine almost nothing useful does not sound worth it to me.

The stunt lot the guys use falls under the same rules, but they are out of sight so they don't get harassed as much and have permission of the property owner. Riding an uninsured vehicle in a lot where you can be seen from the road is just asking for trouble.

Rather than starting a new thread, I"ll ask here:

Why do people keep saying an SV650 will train you to be a better rider than a 600 would? What about riding the 650 twin decreases the learning curve? What about the 600s hinders your progress?

Rather than starting a new thread, I"ll ask here:

Why do people keep saying an SV650 will train you to be a better rider than a 600 would? What about riding the 650 twin decreases the learning curve? What about the 600s hinders your progress?

Modern 600's rip like crazy, can easily light up the rear end and wheelie. It's better to learn on a bike that won't scare the crap out of you and get you into trouble. The SV teaches you to be more aware of things like faster corner entry, maintaining corner speed and smooth lines because it doesn't have enough power to make up for a bad entry with a strong exit. In order to put down a fast lap time on an SV you need to carry lots of corner speed and have very efficient lines.

I remember Michel Mercier telling me a long time ago that "the SV never lies". If you can't maintain corner speed and good lines you're sunk.

I raced a first gen back in 2002 and 2003 and think I learned more on that bike than even my RS125.

I sold it to a friend and it lay in his garage for 8 years. I just bought it back and am fixing it up for my son - although he may not get much seat time :)

I have a quick question about track bikes. As I won't be street riding any longer, how do you guys and gals that ride track only test out any maintenance work (ie: brakes) or mods to make sure they work properly before taking it to the track?

Also (I'm just looking for opinions) would a 2007 or so VFR make a decent track bike or should I trade it in for something else? I am not looking to set any records. I just want to go track only due to the number of stupid people on the road nowadays and to have some fun every now and then.

Thanks for any advice offered.

If you track the VFR, you may want to upgrade soon as your skill develops. Finding a buyer for the VFR after its been on the track may be difficult, only because of the assumption that it's been abused, or at least you may need to drop the selling price. I'd suggest you get a track dedicated bike that you can grow with for the next 3ish years.

I always test new parts, etc. in the first session of the next track day by going easy and looking for potential trouble. I agree with the others against riding it on the street or in a lot. Too many variables, when at the track you even have immediate access to medical personnel.

Back
Top Bottom