Question about things you can safely avoid mentioning to your insurer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about things you can safely avoid mentioning to your insurer

What they don't know can't hurt them. U are technically supposed to tell them everything that happens, even if it's a minor fender bender. Everything raises ur rates, so most people will just take care of it themselves. Take a look at ur policy or insurance slip and it should give u an outline. Mine said something like, always report to ur insurance company so we can protect u.

Well, turns out its not as bad as I thought. Here is the situation I found myself in.

I decided it was time to book my m2 exit test, and when booking, they ask you for the license expiration date. Mine said spring of last year.... Yeah. So I apparently, I had been riding around with an expired license. The fun part was I was even charged with speeding last September, not sure how the officer missed that juicy ticket.

So my question was could I renew my license, and keep quiet about it unless specifically asked by my insurance. Or if anything came up, would they use the fact that I never updated the current continuous time licensed / ever had your license expire question, to deny coverage. Sorta like how you stay quiet about tickets unless asked.

Anyways, I went down to the drive test center, assuming that at worst I'd have to take a vision test to get my G back, and I'd have to write a test and start at an M1 again. Turns out it was just my G that expired, they treat the two separately, and my M2 is good for another year. I guess thats why I was fine when I got pulled over. So I just have to do a vision test, and 75 bucks to get my G back.

I guess that leaves my insurance question still a bit valid. Would my motorcycle insurance be affected by a lapse in my G license? I'm also set as a primary driver on one of my parents cars, would they need to let their insurance know beyond being asked specifically? They did talk recently to their insurance, and I believe were asked if any drivers had suspended/expired license, but at the time even I didn't know it had expired. The time I was unlicensed for my G was a bit over a year, due to not paying/applying for the renewal.

Anyways, thanks if anyone in the field can answer/suggest I edit this all out.

Back
Top Bottom